Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,941

0 members and 2,941 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Advice and reinsurance

Hi everyone, my beautiful bp is being particular on eating and was looking for some advice only had him for a few weeks hes 165g 22-24in and hes eating every other week not by my choice hasn't lost weight but alarming? Temps are 90 hot side 80 cold humidity 55-65 hes eating frozen thawed. Besides that thinking about building him a viv this winter anyone got some ideas? Was looking at birch ply

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    He's a BP! Welcome to picky eaters lol. They do this....all the time. Are you feeding him in or out of his enclosure?
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

dr del (09-18-2017),Mac27 (09-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    In my experience, the males are the worst for going on ghandiesque hunger strikes.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Mac27 (09-18-2017)

Thanks

Re: Advice and reinsurance

Thank you inside his enclosure when he eats its a matter of seconds lol

Thanks

Yeah idk if its the size of the mouse im feeling him I think were I got him from they might have been feeding him smaller.

Thanks
    I found that the quality of rodents from various sources varies quite a bit. mine were picky till I found a source they liked, that doesn't smell weird and that are fresh, now they eat like champs.
    "Keep in mind I am sharing what I have learned and what my experiences have taught me. I am not an expert, and it's always good to weigh varying perspectives... Doing it "correctly" often means balancing what works for others with what works for you, given your parameters and observations."

Family Critter List: Bumblebee BP, Fire Spider BP, Brazillian Rainbow Boa, Planted Aquarium, Red-Foot Tortoise, Dwarf Hamster, Holland Lop Rabbit, 6 egg laying chickens, 37 in freezer camp, last but not least Flap Jack, our Pit mix rescue dog who keeps everyone in line.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Slither Seeker For This Useful Post:

Mac27 (09-18-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slither Seeker View Post
    I found that the quality of rodents from various sources varies quite a bit. mine were picky till I found a source they liked, that doesn't smell weird and that are fresh, now they eat like champs.
    If you don't mind were do you get yours? I've been getting mine from petsmart convinced, any advice on the size weight of the rodent?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mac27 View Post
    If you don't mind were do you get yours? I've been getting mine from petsmart convinced, any advice on the size weight of the rodent?
    The petsmart rodents are WAY expensive in my experience, lucky for me I found a local snake guy who owns 90 colubrids and has his own rodent room! (as well as climate controlled snake room) I was amazed how clean and organized the rodent room was! Super high quality, clean and cared for rats and mice, and he gave me the rodents very cheap. Find supplier other than big corporate box stores if possible imo.

Thanks

The best and cheapest way to get them is to order in bulk online really, the most expensive part is shipping but if you buy enough it's really worth it. I'm not sure how good an option this is for you right though sense he is so small and would need to size up pretty soon I would imagine, but when he is a bit bigger this is a really one of the best options.

For you I would recommend looking for reptile stores near you and see if they sell feeders or see when the next reptile expo in coming your way and buy some feeders there.

As for size, this is the chart most everyone here uses

I really wouldn't be too horribly worried about him skipping a few meals however. As long as he's eating the right size and looks healthy it won't hurt for him to miss a few meals, and petsmart mice are overpriced but are okay if that's your only option. That's what I fed my boy for the first few months as well until I found a better supplier near me.

Sent from my LG-D690 using Tapatalk

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BluuWolf For This Useful Post:

Mac27 (09-19-2017),MissterDog (09-19-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    The petsmart rodents are WAY expensive in my experience, lucky for me I found a local snake guy who owns 90 colubrids and has his own rodent room! (as well as climate controlled snake room) I was amazed how clean and organized the rodent room was! Super high quality, clean and cared for rats and mice, and he gave me the rodents very cheap. Find supplier other than big corporate box stores if possible imo.
    Wow that sounds awesome. Yeah ive been looking just not finding to much for a good price, with shipping other places seem to cost more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast