Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,475

1 members and 2,474 guests
Lixx,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

BP friendly with live food. Help

We have a BP that is about 4' long. Don't know much about his background/age. Acquired him from someone being evicted who had to find a new home for him ASAP. He (I think it's a HE) is in a 50 gallon tank with lots of branches, leaves and a log cave. Things went well for several months. We have been successfully feeding him live rats. We decided to start raising rats ourselves to cut down on cost and all was well until this last few months. He will no longer eat and in fact he has gotten friendly with the food. He will go nose-to-nose with a rat and then wander off. This past week, after the nose-to-nose greeting, he went in his cave and curled up and he let the rat climb in his coils and sleep there. He has never been bitten. It has been about 2 months since he has eaten. He has shed twice since he last ate. Very worried about this behavior. Could it be that he smell us on the rats and doesn't eat them because he thinks they are us? Help please

Thanks
    Do not leave the rat in the tank longer than two hours. It can cause serious harm to your snake.
    0.1 Super Lesser (Belle) 1.0 Genetic Stripe BP (Toast)
    1.0 Lavender Albino PH Snow
    0.2 DPH Albino Snow 0.1 Normal (Edith) 3,200g 0.1 Kingpin
    1.0 Lesser Silverstreak 1.0 Champagne 0.1 Black Pastel
    1.0 Lesser 1.0 Mexican Black KS (Lopez) 0.0.1 Crested Gecko

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monty44 For This Useful Post:

dr del (09-18-2017),GoingPostal (09-18-2017)

Thanks

Re: BP friendly with live food. Help

Lol that's kinda cute �� I recommend taking the rat out and trying again in a week.
    Last edited by Joci; 09-18-2017 at 04:01 PM.

Ball Pythons

1.0 Normal (Fírnen)

Wishlist
    Pokigron Suriname BCC
    Mexican Black Kingsnake

Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts
    This time of year my male always stops eating. Also if you leave a rat in for more than fifteen minutes or so they can 'get use' to them. I just offer ever three weeks over the winter and if he takes it great, and if not I take the rat (well...mouse he refuses to eat rats) out. Last winter my male went five months without eating and without losing more than ten grams. Adult ball pythons are famous for 'hunger strikes' particularly as seasons change.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to piedlover79 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (09-18-2017)

Thanks
    Yup, same here Khaa will stop eating pretty soon. Last winter he didn't eat for four months, but I'm guessing it isn't the same amount of time every hunger strike. I offered a rat once a month and he never took it until he was nice and ready to.

Only good thing about his hunger strike is that it leaves my brothers and sisters a nice rat to play with over the winter haha.
    1.0- Pastel het Pied- Khaa

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If the snake does not eat remove the rat within 10 to 15 min PERIOD.

Now the feeding issue will depends on a few factor

A/ Is the husbandry optimum? That means we need a full description of temps, type of thermometer used etc
    B/ Size and sex (confirmed) of the animal in weight because 4 feet means nothing to most people, as it can be 4 feet underfed or 4 feet over fed. It's will also help establish a few other thing that can be encountered with animals at a certain weight of animal of a certain gender such as sexual maturity, or if the animal is going through "the wall."
    C/ Prey size offered and feeding frequency. Adults can fast to catch up if overfed so getting an idea on that is important, feeding should also be different if you have a male or a female.

Without more info it's hard to comment on why the animal is not eating at this point.
    Deborah Stewart

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

dr del (09-18-2017),GoingPostal (09-18-2017),Sunnieskys (09-18-2017)

Thanks

Re: BP friendly with live food. Help

Thank you to everyone for their input. We do not leave the rats in for long - maybe 5-10 minutes. This all happens very fast - rat gets put in, snake becomes aware and comes out and does the nose-to-nose thing, and then goes back into his cave. We remove rat.

We have not had him long enough to go from summer to fall/winter before, so that may be what is going on. We are in Kansas and just had a long month of 100 degree days and 70-80 degree nights (and we don't use A/C), but now we are having 50-60 degree nights (days are still hot - 80-90) so maybe he is sensing a change. Will continue to be patient with him.

Will also try to confirm sex and get a size so future texts can be more detailed. Again, thank you all.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wilderpa For This Useful Post:

Sunnieskys (09-18-2017)