Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,663

0 members and 2,663 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Angry Idiotic people and neglected reptiles

I'm sorry but this is something that has been bugging me for weeks. I just have to get it out now, ugh! I cannot believe the bad information that chain pet stores and small uneducated mom and pop shops give to new reptile owners. for instance, a local shop here where i live Had two adult ball pythons that they bought from someone in a 40 g breeder tank with nothing but a mild heat lamp. The heat lamp was so cool i could touch the ceramic part at the top of the light. This kind of stuff really really bugs me and makes me sad. Another thing that blows my mind is that places like petco and petsmart don't sell any sort of heating thermostats! I have only ever bought one snake from them, my very first ball python 5 years ago, and he went 4.5 years with a unregulated heating pad. I didn't know about needing a thermostat until i joined on here! It just seems so darn ridiculous to me now that they don't properly inform people how to care the the animals they sell. DON'T EVER BUY FROM CHAIN STORES OR STORES THAT DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING! My local pet shop just got two cornsnakes that someone brought in. Neither of them have any heating element and have been being kept on sand. I don't think either of these adult corn snakes have had proper heating ever in there life. When I was in the store the owner asked me how she should heat it and if she really needed to!!!!! Those poor snakes and neglected beardies at that place make me so upset and mad. I just wish i could buy them all and save them from the crappy life the live right now. Anyways, sorry for the big rant, and for the bad punctuation, Anyone have any other thoughts on situations like this? Have a good day yall!
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated
    1.0 High lines Red Tail Boa

Thanks

Re: Idiotic people and neglected reptiles

No matter who the pet shop owners are (chain, or Mom and Pop), we, as reptile owners, are students of the craft first, teachers second, and critics of the husbandry of others third.

You CAN make a difference in the lives of these reptiles. Sure, your time is valuable and may not be completely appreciated by the pet store owner. Just "kill them with kindness" and be free with knowledgeable, timely, and well thought out advice.

Peace

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dadofsix For This Useful Post:

dr del (09-18-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dadofsix View Post
    No matter who the pet shop owners are (chain, or Mom and Pop), we, as reptile owners, are students of the craft first, teachers second, and critics of the husbandry of others third.

You CAN make a difference in the lives of these reptiles. Sure, your time is valuable and may not be completely appreciated by the pet store owner. Just "kill them with kindness" and be free with knowledgeable, timely, and well thought out advice.

Peace
    Thanks for the reply. It's just so awkward to walk into a business and just tell them they are doing it wrong and taking care of things in ways they shouldn't be.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dadofsix View Post

Peace
    Thanks for the reply. It's just so awkward to walk into a business and just tell them they are doing it wrong and taking care of things in ways they shouldn't be.
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated
    1.0 High lines Red Tail Boa

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I wish I had a solution. If people buy them to save them, the store makes a profit and brings in more. If people don't buy them, then the "product" becomes profit loss and the store will not continue to stock them. If you want to help a reptile without adding to the chain store cycle, buy from the SPCA or some other verified rescue.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DLena For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (09-19-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    I work for Petco lol. But I also have the knowledge behind my animals. We are few and far between but there are a few of us at box box stores that know. I too am bothered by small and big box stores. When I do go in I share my knowledge. I kindly let them know I'm concerned that animal A doesn't have this or that. It opens a dialog. I always tell people who are buying equipment that it needs to be regulated. I even pull up my phone to Amazon usually for tempstats. I will also refer my customers out to different places if I don't like ours. Like this stupid log hides. No, just no! And I always tell my snake people to call me if problems occur.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

distaff (09-18-2017),DLena (09-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    In a perfect world you could walk into a big box pet store and be able to have all your questions answered but it's hardly a perfect world. The animals would be well taken care of and everyone would be happy. It doesn't always work that way. It sucks but it's the way things are. I'd just stay away and save yourself the grief. Nothing will change. Every time you "rescue" one of those dying bettas or skinny snakes you contribute to the problem. I do think Petco is a notch above Petsmart though. When the gf goes to Ulta, I slide into Petco next door and play with kittens. I walk past the reptiles and go right to the kitten room. lol

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (09-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    As a business owner I'm rather gobsmacked that the big box stores don't stock thermostats. They don't take up a lot of shelf space, they've got a decent markup, and they're an easy upsell when someone purchases an under-tank heater.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

dylan815 (09-19-2017),jmcrook (09-18-2017),Sunnieskys (09-18-2017),the_rotten1 (09-19-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    If you can at least get the conversation going, that's good. People ARE stuck in their ways, but you can frame the info in a way that you aren't coming across as some judgmental know-it-all, and diffuse a person who might be feeling a bit defensive about their shoddy care and rough looking stock.

I would refer to *others* as the experts. "The conensus on the on-line forums seems to be...," or The breeder I got my snake from states that you can get better results if..." or, "My vet told me...."

That *might* improve the odds that someone will listen.
    Good luck.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

dylan815 (09-19-2017)

Thanks
    I cannot speak for all, but I was in a local petco a few days ago, and they had the zilla thermostats in stock. They also had a tiny little BP that was extremely underweight to the point I doubt he is alive today .

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dylan815 View Post
    I'm sorry but this is something that has been bugging me for weeks. I just have to get it out now, ugh! I cannot believe the bad information that chain pet stores and small uneducated mom and pop shops give to new reptile owners. for instance, a local shop here where i live Had two adult ball pythons that they bought from someone in a 40 g breeder tank with nothing but a mild heat lamp. The heat lamp was so cool i could touch the ceramic part at the top of the light. This kind of stuff really really bugs me and makes me sad. Another thing that blows my mind is that places like petco and petsmart don't sell any sort of heating thermostats! I have only ever bought one snake from them, my very first ball python 5 years ago, and he went 4.5 years with a unregulated heating pad. I didn't know about needing a thermostat until i joined on here! It just seems so darn ridiculous to me now that they don't properly inform people how to care the the animals they sell. DON'T EVER BUY FROM CHAIN STORES OR STORES THAT DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING! My local pet shop just got two cornsnakes that someone brought in. Neither of them have any heating element and have been being kept on sand. I don't think either of these adult corn snakes have had proper heating ever in there life. When I was in the store the owner asked me how she should heat it and if she really needed to!!!!! Those poor snakes and neglected beardies at that place make me so upset and mad. I just wish i could buy them all and save them from the crappy life the live right now. Anyways, sorry for the big rant, and for the bad punctuation, Anyone have any other thoughts on situations like this? Have a good day yall!
    Three things to consider:

You should be able to touch the ceramic part of a heat lamp with your hands, if you can't then its gonna be WAY too hot in the cage for a snake.

Some people keep corn snakes at room temperature. There is literally nothing wrong with it as long as your house stays at a stable temperature and aren't feeding too often.

The typical heat pad doesn't get too hot to burn a snake or even really heat up a tank enough to cause problems for the most part as long as it isn't too big. Its even more rare for a failure nowadays that manufacturing/engineering of the common brands has gotten much better than in the past. Thermostats are a fail safe in all reality, actual temp control for a few people with specific temp issues based on their house or where they live. I used heating pads, like you for probably 10 years without ever having a thermostat. I never had a problem. The burned reptiles and such from heat pads/heat rocks are only the people who posted of a product failure. People who have a positive experience are much less likely to post a review or even talk about it. People who have something bad happen are MUCH MUCH more likely to post photos and stories and the like. I don't think the reptile burning was ever as prevalent as people think it was due to that. THAT SAID, everyone should have a thermostat for their pets that have heating elements because quite frankly it's not worth the risk and vet bills that would result from something like that. The 90's/early 2000's were the wild west of reptile keeping and not many people used thermostats at all, most of the reptiles got out just fine and I think that's part of the reason so many still don't use them or are even aware of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast