Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,104

1 members and 3,103 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So stoked!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    I have had better success with thawed feeding, now that I am heating them up under a red-bulb heat lamp. I thaw them out in a plastic bag of warm water. Then I put them under the heat lamp and using my infrared thermometer gun, I get them to about 100 degrees Fahrenheit and then get the tongs.... it seems snakes like their food nice and hot!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Jus1More (09-18-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: So stoked!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HannahLou View Post
    Glad your new pet ate. Just make sure it's warm water that you heat it up in and not hot so it doesn't start to cook the rat, especially if they're smaller sizes. It might also help to dry the rat off some with paper towels for a few seconds so it's not so wet when offered. I thaw mine in water too and have some that won't eat if it's too wet. You could also just take from your cooler water, quick towel dry then warm up with a hair dryer.
    Yeah,, I argee with HannahLou! Mine won't eat prey that is too wet so I have to make sure to double bag with I heat up the prey in hot water.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    Awesome on eating! A rat pinky or mouse pinky?
    Rat. Have a few left maybe 3. Getting a scale today and weighing her. I have no idea her weight so I'm getting on it. I went back about 10 minutes after I left her and it was long gone. I only have a couple pinkies left. I have enough sizes to hopefully last a few months. Plus the guy from the show I bought the rats off is only 20 minutes away from me. So if I need more I can get them easily.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elleon View Post
    The first several times I fed my bp I was super excited to watch him grab it and stuff. Tonight is feeding for my snake too, and I still get excited and a bit nervous about it. I have heard that thawing the feeder directly in water can wash off some of the scent, so perhaps putting it in a plastic bag first might help for next time. Also, are you feeding your snake in a separate tub? There is some debate about this practice, and if it works for you then that's great, but the general consensus seems to be that it just adds unnecessary stress (for you and the snake), which may also make feeding more difficult. Congrats on the successful feed though!
    The first attempt I didn't thaw in water at all. I did exactly what the breeder did. She fed like this 4/5 times for him. Seemed to work for me. And now that she has eaten I kind of want to keep it like this.
    Last edited by Newbie39; 09-19-2017 at 09:11 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cletus View Post
    Congrats! It's always nice when they eat for you. Patiently waiting the poop thread now. We want pics...
    I will take some tonight when I weigh her. Don't want to handle her to much yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12