Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,987

1 members and 2,986 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: BRB care advice

Registered User William Snakespeare's Avatar
    Thanks

BRB care advice

Hi guys, I have been looking into probably getting a brazillian rainbow boa. The colours are stunning.i heard they're intermediate snakes because of their humidity requirements but if you got that sorted they are pretty easy to keep. I go on holiday occasionally for about a week, I am a bit worried if the water bowl evaporates too fast, j live in south africa, very dry. Should I get a humidifier or use 2 water bowls.

Sent from my SM-T815 using Tapatalk

Registered User thebrowntroutdude's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yeah I just got one recently, highly recommend them. Absolutely wonderful snakes, like you said tho, as long as you have their humidity down pat. I live in Colorado which is also very dry, especially in the winter. I usually keep humidity with a few different methods. I keep about half of the cage covered with damp spagnum moss (half because you want them to have a dry place to go) along with a humidity hide(basically a regular hide, but with damp spag. moss inside), I mist down the cage aggressively every morning, and give it a few sprinkles in the afternoon depending on how much it has dropped (I like it at at least 90% for babies, 70% ifor adults). The most important thing is to keep the snake in a plastic tub with minimal ventilation. I have been using paper towels as bedding mainly because I want to be able to see any mites she might have, (new snake quarantine) but also because I dont want to promote mold. If paper towels get moldly they are pretty cheap to replace, this is not the case with regular bedding. If your going on week long vacations I recommend using a humidifier, but I wouldn't go without getting someone to check on your snake at least twice.
    "Let us take the adventure Aslan has set before us"
    1.0 Bullsnake "Garfield"
    0.1 rainbow boa "Cecilia"
    1.0 spider BP "Barry"
    1.1 western terrestrial garter "Dragon and Carol"