Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,928

2 members and 2,926 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

View Poll Results: How long did it take for you to find the lost snake?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Within 12 hours.

10 52.63%
  • Within a Month.

4 21.05%
  • Within half a year.

2 10.53%
  • Within a year.

0 0%
  • After a Year.

0 0%
  • Never.

3 15.79%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Ball python gone

Hello, sadly to say, my ball python has escaped its cage while I was asleep yesterday night.

Before I start I know that it is entirely my fault for her escape.
    here is a little information about the tank:
    so, one of the glass side of the tank shattered, so I replaced it with a plastic, and glued it with a silicon adhesive. Unfortunately, the width of the plastic is slightly thinner than the glass, so there is a small opening on the ceiling, which I stuffed a towel in to prevent any escape.

Here is what happened:
    9/15/2017 4:00 AM - Before I went to sleep, I noticed Cinnamon (the name of the ball python) wondering around like usual. The latches that were glued on the sides with silicon adhesive was tightly locked on, and I left the room door wide open (the door is located on the other side of the room).
    9/15/2017 10:00 AM - While I was asleep, my mother closed my door to prevent my dog from annoying me during my sleep.
    9/15/2017 12:00 PM - I woke up and checked my tank, to my surprise, Cinnamon was no where to be seen in the tank. The latch was unglued from the tank (most likely due to pure strength of the python ripped it off the surface). I flipped my room upside down, looked in every shelf, box, spaces, but unfortunately, she was nowhere to be seen in my room.
    9/15/2017 3:00 PM - Placed a water bowl, heat pad, hide that she used, and a dead rat (she eats dead rats with no prob, and she also haven't eaten for a week) In my room. Also, placed plastic bags along the walls to hear if she slithered anywhere.
    9/15/2017-9/16/2017 5:00 PM - 1:00 AM - Work
    9/16/2017 1:00 AM - 4:00 AM - Checked all over my room again, but no luck. Cinnamon is nowhere to be seen yet.

Basically repeat for the next day, too.

As I was looking through my house, I noticed there were many small holes that I didn't even know existed, since this house is old. I am afraid she might've went into one of these holes near the ground and went behind the walls or even outside...

I would like to know any other tips or tricks in regards to finding/luring lost Ball Pythons, and how long did everyone who have lost their pythons take until they found theirs dead or alive.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Look under and behind fridges and ovens. Also pull the backs off both and look at the housing. I heard horror stories of people cooking their snake because they hide in the housing of it. In your box spring as well.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: Ball python gone

I had a tub full of hatchlings leave the tub they were in bc I was irresponsible and left it open. There were 6 recently hatched pastel h/pieds who had recently had their first shed. I was preparing to put them into individual tubs but otherwise became distracted. Several hours later I came into the room to check on them and immediately saw the tub pulled out and empty. After having a mini heart attack, I recovered and went to work searching. 5 of the six were in the upper level of the rack in the rear by the heat tape. One was missing and stayed that way for 1 week despite wifey and I turning the house upside down. One night, while relaxing and enjoying some snacks in the bedroom out crawls this little ball python. He was a bit dehydrated and weak but thankfully no worse. So, about a good 7 days missing.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

GreenTea (09-17-2017),Monty44 (09-17-2017)

Thanks
    Double check everywhere within 5ft. Under your tank/shelf, under your computer, in any shirts on the floor, and your couch. My bp would try to go between the couch cushions and I'd have to lift them out and pry him out.
    0.1 Super Lesser (Belle) 1.0 Genetic Stripe BP (Toast)
    1.0 Lavender Albino PH Snow
    0.2 DPH Albino Snow 0.1 Normal (Edith) 3,200g 0.1 Kingpin
    1.0 Lesser Silverstreak 1.0 Champagne 0.1 Black Pastel
    1.0 Lesser 1.0 Mexican Black KS (Lopez) 0.0.1 Crested Gecko

Thanks
    When my BP first escaped he had lodged himself in-between radiators and the second time had climbed all the way on to my desk top computer, goodluck.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I have to confess to having been incredibly stupid twice within the last month. Both times, Hoosac was out of his enclosure and I had the sliding doors open on both sides for whatever reason, then I put him back and only closed the door on the side where I put him back. So I left the door wide open. And of course he went for a little excursion.

The good part is that when I see him out and about, I often let him roam the living room. I supervise and keep an eye on where he goes, but as long as the door is closed he can't leave the room and can't get into too much trouble. So that means that I know pretty well where he's likely to have gone. The first time I left the door open, he was still in the living room under the coffee table in a pile of stuff he often likes to explore. The second time was last night, and I just about had a heart attack when I came home and saw the door open especially realizing I'd just done the same dumb thing twice in a row. I couldn't find him in the living room, but was able to trace where he was likely to have gone upon leaving the room and still found him within five minutes of looking.

The other good part, I suppose, is that this time of year the conditions in the living room are pretty comfortable for a ball python - 80-ish degrees and 60% humidity - so he wasn't driven to do anything unexpected while seeking heat. In the winter, who knows. Although for all I know, in the winter he'd have just gone back into his cage after a pretty short excursion because he'd get pretty cold pretty quick.

Anyway, I was *SOOOO* relieved I found him so quickly and before my better half came home. I was panicking pretty good, and I was dreading having to 'fess up to being so careless twice in a row. All's well that ends well, although I'm thinking of systems I could use to make sure I close both @#$%-ing doors.

Banned
    Thanks

My BP once escaped and i found him after 2 days in the shoe cabinet. He hides also under the couch when i get him out of his tank. Search in such places.
    You can bring three live mice to make the smell strong and put them near one of those holes you talked about. If the snake is hungry it will react to the smell and might come out if it was hiding there
    Last edited by Dutti; 09-17-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    under the couch is a pain, I can usually find them anywhere else pretty quickly. I find them sometimes climbing up the wall even!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Ronniex2 (09-18-2017)

Registered User Slytherin's Mommy's Avatar
    Thanks

Look in places you wouldn't think to look. Entertainment centers. Your DVD player still gives out heat.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Thanks

Oh wow... So sad, I also lost my white lipped python. 2 days so far and i can't find him. I'm am scheduled to move in 3 weeks and I fear I may not find him.
    0.1. Boa constrictor ​imperator

0.0.1. Aphonopelma chalcodes
    0.0.1. Grammostola pulchra

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast