Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,898

3 members and 2,895 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Thermostat suggestions for BP in glass tank?

I recently posted about my BP's hot hide getting up to 100*F. (Since then, I have shut it off and used a 75 watt heat lamp.) I am going this afternoon to buy a thermostat, but Im not sure what would be right for my use. Me and my fiancé are at work all day so im looking for something that will cool down or shut off automatically once it reaches above or below a certain temp. My room is huge and its summer, so its hot during the day but gets cooler at night. I have a UTH for his warm side, and I will sometimes use a 75 watt heat lamp bulb in the afternoon and switch to a 55 or 65 watt blue night bulb at night. Again, im looking for something that I can make sure will not allow his UTH or heat lamp to get too hot or too cool. Im currently looking for a larger tank for him so Im on a bit of a budget. Iv gone to Petco for suggestions in the past (Only had him for about 4-6 weeks) and cant say it was helpful or successful.

Suggestions for thermostats/rheostats would be helpful!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    Herpstats hands down. The best of the best and worth every penny in the long run. I'd suggest looking into either the Herpstat 2 or Herpstat EZ2
    https://www.spyderrobotics.com/index...=index&cPath=1

Vivarium Electronics is also another good brand. You'd want one with proportional heating (pulse/dimming options)

http://www.reptilebasics.com/thermostats

If that is outside your price range for now, then Jumpstart is a decent starter, just keep in mind not as accurate or reliable as a proportional thermostat like Herpstats. I recommend trying to upgrade to a Herpstat later if possible.

https://www.amazon.com/MTPRTC-Contro...mostat+reptile
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

larryd23 (06-21-2018),tttaylorrr (06-21-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    hi friend!

so, you mention a budget: that's totally understandable, but keep in mind that sacrifice in price leads to sacrifice in quality/reliability which can cause problems. i started out using Jumpstart thermostats for a few years and eventually saved up the money to go for the Cadillac of thermostats: Herpstat. i also have a VE-300 thermostat which is just as reliable, but a different brand.

for someone with a budget, i usually recommend Jumpstarts, but i need to HEAVILY EMPHASIZE that Jumpstart thermostats are KNOWN to fail; it is NOT an "if" but a "when." suffice it to say that i've successfully used a Jumpstart thermostat for almost 3 years, but i NEVER allowed it enough time to fail on me; i bought a Herpstat as soon as i possibly could.

for the heat lamp: if the room the enclosure is in has a stable temperature throughout the day (i.e. no more than a 3° fluctuation in either direction) you can get away with using a rheostat for the bulb. rheostats do not use a probe to read a temperature like a thermostat, and can only be set by a dial; this means the power output will stay the same, whether it's 70° or 100 °F. in terms of reliability/set-it-and-forget-it use: thermostat > rheostat.

i hope this helped!!!
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 06-21-2018 at 04:02 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (06-21-2018)

Thanks
    I also fully endorse herpstat. I was using inkbird for a while. But once i switched to herpstat i only regretted not doing it sooner.

There was a time when i would have said ecozone, but alas, i dont think the interest in the actual care of the animal was as strong as it is now, and sadly, they dissapeared.

Thanks

Re: Thermostat suggestions for BP in glass tank?

My vote also goes to Herpstat.

I might also suggest abandoning the heat lamp bulb and the blue night bulb. I would replace them with a CHE (managed by your thermostat).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to larryd23 For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (06-21-2018)

Thanks

Re: Thermostat suggestions for BP in glass tank?

Quote Originally Posted by larryd23 View Post
    My vote also goes to Herpstat.

I might also suggest abandoning the heat lamp bulb and the blue night bulb. I would replace them with a CHE (managed by your thermostat).
    If you are gonna do all that you might as well just go all the way and get an rhp to replace the lot.