Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,446

0 members and 2,446 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

So I'm Very New at this and need alot of help....

So about a month ago i got my first ball and so far its been fine. I have her in a decent size tank, could have a bit more in it than a tree and her two hides but with my schedule and movie theater employee salary its the best I can do. I've always had a bit of a problem with humidity in the tank so any help with that would be appreciated. Just recently however I asked a friend to grab food for her and they got a live fuzzy(recommended feeding schedule from where i got her was one fuzzy weekly) instead of a frozen one, she ate it just fine but after digesting she has become defensive and doesn't leave her hide during the day like she used too. I try to handle her as often as I can but when I try she panics and either flees back to her hide or looks like shes gonna strike at me. I'm noticing that her skin is darker than it was when I got her and a friend of mine who has two snakes(neither balls) believes its time for her shed.

I guess what I really need is advice on how to keep the humidity stable in the cage and any explanation as to why she's acting the way she is.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Ok please dont take this the wrong way but it sounds like you didn't do any research before getting your snake and the best you can do on your salary?

A picture of of your set up would be great so we can try and help you. What are your temps at? What are you using for heat? Tempstat, substrate used? Sounds like your husbandry is off. Please let us know how everything is set up.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks

Re: So I'm Very New at this and need alot of help....

I second what Sunnyskys said, more information on her habitat would be helpful.
    I would also say that fuzzies are way too small for a baby ball Python. Even hatchlings eat hoppers or larger.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    It is normal for snakes to want to be left alone in their hides, don't handle him.
    1) he just ate... wants to hide and digest.
    2) he is getting ready to shed... wants to hide while vulnerable.

Handling is great, but after eating, or during shed, it is best to let them be alone.
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 09-13-2017 at 10:33 PM.

Thanks

The temps are good through out the day, the humidity will fluctuate a lot because I wanna say the screen top, I try to keep a full water bowl at all times. I'm using Aspen Snake Bedding and for heat I have two lamps one for day and one for night. I had one of the thermometers you stick to the side of the cage until very recently when she managed to pry the stat off the wall and get her head stuck to it(happened a week ago). The vets I took her too recommended this one thing to track humidity and temp I just havent been able to go since I've had class all week. I'll take a picture of my setup now and post it after this.

Honestly I did some research but obviously not enough

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Nothing sticky inside the enclosure ever. Just for that reason. Any missing scales? And what are her temps? Not they are good through the day. What are the actual temps at? How are you gauging them? Aspindoes not hold humidity so change that. Cover your screen top with foil except where your lamps are. There is a sticky on how to set up a glass tank (someone link for me please). Please check out the stickies. What is your humidity at, not a guess, an actual number. How are you tracking it? Sorry I'm sounding harsh but i want to help you help your snake.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (09-13-2017)

Thanks
    https://ballpython.shutterfly.com/pictures#n_5

This URL has the picture on it

Thanks

My way of keeping humidity is putting a damp towel over 2/3s of the screen in combination with misting.

Edit: I also use paper towels instead of aspen.
    Last edited by Joci; 09-13-2017 at 10:47 PM.

Ball Pythons

1.0 Normal (Fírnen)

Wishlist
    Pokigron Suriname BCC
    Mexican Black Kingsnake

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Joci For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (09-13-2017)

Thanks
    I have on thermometer still thats suctioned cupped, right now it reads at 79.2 F.

I took the humidity gauge out after the incident with the adhesive because it had some on there too so I'm not entirely sure how it is in there. Humidity in my house is at 42% so I wanna hope its around there. First thing tomorrow im getting the new gauges.

Is there any bedding you'd recommend to help with the humidity?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DMixhell View Post
    https://ballpython.shutterfly.com/pictures#n_5

This URL has the picture on it
    please read through this thread and make the necessary changes.

you need to know the EXACT temps of ambient (air) temps, floor temps, and humidity on both warm side and cool side. NO guessing.

warm side hot spot (BOTTOM of the enclosure, under the substrate): 88° F for hatchlings, 90° F for jeuvinals/adults.

cool side (top of substrate inside hide is okay for this): ~80° F but can fluctuate a few degrees.

ambient temps (all over the enclosure, measuring neat the substrate): never drop below 77° F.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast