Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,073

0 members and 3,073 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Question Ball Python Rarely Hides

I recently purchased my first ball python, after months or researching. I thought i was prepared, I also have a very close friend with 20 ball pythons so i recive a lot of pro advice. I bought from a petstore i don't normally work with, only because i have loyalty another petstore the petstore i bought him from had him and his brother in a tank with aspen, and a water bowl. no hides, no plants, just aspen. he's around four months old. I got him on wednesday the 6th, and converted him to frozen/thawed/blow dried mouse hoppers that friday (i'm proud don't ruin it). he's normally always roaming around his tank, climbing on his plants or his hides. when he does settle down he lays in the corner of his tank in between the medium and hot hides. his tank is relatively dark at night and pitch black during the day. i have covered sides and a towel over 3/4 of the screen top. Is it because of the constant darkness ? Is it because he's not used to having or using hides? (he hid the first two days i had him) Am i doing something terribly wrong?

•Tank-20L
    •Hot Side- 90degrees
    •Cold Side- 78-80
    •Hides- Plants, Hot Hide, Medium Hide, Cold Hide.
    •Water Dish- Middle of tank.
    •Heat Source- Uth
    •Substrate- Newspaper on the very bottom w/ Repti-bark over it.
    •Humidity- 50-60 (it ranges but i try to keep it at 60)
    Last edited by Anna Franks; 09-13-2017 at 02:39 AM. Reason: I cannot spell, i have huge fake nails, and you people scare me.

Thanks

Re: Ball Python Rarely Hides

I'm not sure if not having hides before would effect him but I don't think it should. I have heard of adult ball pythons not wanting to use hides but not normally babies, and the fact that he spends a lot of time moving around makes it sound like he might be stressed. Ball pythons should hide throughout most of the day, only to come out at night to explore a bit. The darkness shouldn't effect him, they like the dark.

It might be that he hasn't settled in enough yet sense you just got him but it could also be a husbandry issue. You said you use a uth for the heat, is this regulated with a thermostat? Also is this the only heat source you have in the tank, a uth only provides belly heat so you'll need something for ambient temps as well. And lastly what kind of thermometers do you use to check the temps/humidity?

Having a bit more knowledge will help us to assess what the problem is

Sent from my LG-D690 using Tapatalk

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BluuWolf For This Useful Post:

Anna Franks (09-13-2017),MissterDog (09-13-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

What type of hides are you using? Are they low and snug fitting for him? They like feeling all their sides hugged like a turtle shell. If they're too big with too big of an opening he may not feel secure enough with them. Also are your cold and hot hides matching?

When you say he's "always" normally roaming his tank, is this an all day thing or just at night? Unless he's hungry, if he's frequently active during the day and not using his hides this could be a sign your husbandry is off and he lacks the security he's looking for.

Could we get a picture of your set up? I think we could get a better idea how to help that way.

I didn't see any mention of a thermostat for your uth. Do you have it regulated with one?
    Last edited by MissterDog; 09-13-2017 at 03:11 AM. Reason: spelling
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Anna Franks (09-13-2017)

Thanks

His uth is regulated, and set to 90 (i'm sorry i forgot to mention, i figured it would be assumed because it's a basic necessity) I have a leopard gecko with light fixtures so the air temp in my room stays at about 78, and with the towel over the top of his tank the air in warm side stays at 90. The hides are not matching but are tightly fitted, he stayed in his after he ate and stayed for a day or so afterwards. My friend suggested that he might still be exploring, seeing as i fed him two days after i got him and he hid those two days.Then he ate and hid for another two days. But as of right now he is hiding. I'm using zoo med temperature and humidity gages, one on each side. I'm sorry if i'm annoying i just really want to give him the best life. He could hide all day while i'm at school and only come out when i'm home; or freely roam whenever he wants because of the lack of light. I'll have my mom check on him during school hours. i feel really stupid because the minute i posted this he slithered back into his warm hide and hasn't came out since.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Franks View Post
    His uth is regulated, and set to 90 (i'm sorry i forgot to mention, i figured it would be assumed because it's a basic necessity) I have a leopard gecko with light fixtures so the air temp in my room stays at about 78, and with the towel over the top of his tank the air in warm side stays at 90. The hides are not matching but are tightly fitted, he stayed in his after he ate and stayed for a day or so afterwards. My friend suggested that he might still be exploring, seeing as i fed him two days after i got him and he hid those two days.Then he ate and hid for another two days. But as of right now he is hiding. I'm using zoo med temperature and humidity gages, one on each side. I'm sorry if i'm annoying i just really want to give him the best life. He could hide all day while i'm at school and only come out when i'm home; or freely roam whenever he wants because of the lack of light. I'll have my mom check on him during school hours. i feel really stupid because the minute i posted this he slithered back into his warm hide and hasn't came out since.
    Hm since he is pretty new and he does seem to be using his hides and eating, then it could very well be that he's still adjusting. I'd say continue to monitor and watch his behavior and body language when he's out to ensure he's not stressed. A picture of his set up would help us give you better info if needed

It's generally best to have matching hides for his hot and cool side to make sure he's thermoregulating properly, as they can sometimes favor one hide over the other despite needing to cool down or warm up.

Unfortunately the zoomed humidity and temperature gauges are known for being notoriously inaccurate. I'd recommend replacing them with digital ones with a wired probe for more accuracy. Acurite and Vivarium Electronics have been the usual favorites in the community.

Thanks

Thank you so much! i'll look into getting a better thermometers! i can take a picture of his setup as soon as he wakes up (i don't want to irritate him with the flash). He took the blow dried rat with no problem, but i'm concerned that he could be hungry again since the rat they gave me for him was was to small. they gave me a pinkie to feed, and i fed it to him, then when i went back they told me a pup would have been more efficient(i'm no longer using them because of the service and ignorance). I since bought a frozen mouse the size of this thickest part of his body and was going to wait till thursday or friday to offer it to him, but i can try now?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Franks View Post
    Thank you so much! i'll look into getting a better thermometers! i can take a picture of his setup as soon as he wakes up (i don't want to irritate him with the flash). He took the blow dried rat with no problem, but i'm concerned that he could be hungry again since the rat they gave me for him was was to small. they gave me a pinkie to feed, and i fed it to him, then when i went back they told me a pup would have been more efficient(i'm no longer using them because of the service and ignorance). I since bought a frozen mouse the size of this thickest part of his body and was going to wait till thursday or friday to offer it to him, but i can try now?
    No problem! We are happy to help!

Hopefully this will help save you time on looking, but here are the usual recommended thermometer/hydrometers

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    http://www.reptilebasics.com/thermometers/TH-100/

Oh and I forgot to mention getting a temp gun will be super helpful on double checking surface temperatures!

As for offering food again, I'd personally lean on waiting. Gives him more time to adjust, and being a little hungry won't hurt him. Do you know how much he weighs? If you ever find yourself in doubt on feeder size as he grows, this chart should help you out.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Anna Franks (09-13-2017),Craiga 01453 (09-13-2017),tttaylorrr (09-13-2017)