Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 519

1 members and 518 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    I agree that feral cats are a problem.

It all starts with people letting their cats "roam", because "that's what cats do". No, it is not. They do NOT belong "in the wild". They aren't indigenous to our country. And they sure as heck shouldn't be running around all over neighborhoods and cities.

The only way I see it as "ok" to have outside cats, is if they are barn cats, which usually stay on the farm and actually have a job. And usually are taken care off, fixed, etc. (the ones with good owners)

It drives me crazy when people just let their cat out "cause it wants to". Those cats end up marking other peoples homes, peeing and pooping in other peoples gardens, hunting wild birds, etc. And usually they don't get to old, because sooner or later something gets them, they get run over or they die from disease. Their are no vaccinations for some pretty bad cat diseases. On top of that many of those cats aren't fixed. And many get thrown out and abandoned. Its a real problem.

That said, if I come across a kitten that needs rescue, I rescue it. I can't just walk by. Within the last few years I've rescued 9. All of those were in bad shape, a couple near death for days. But once I pick them up, I become responsible for them. Each and every one of them got taken care of the right way. They have Vet care. They were tested for diseases. I nursed them back to health. Some needed bottle feedings. They were spayed/neutered/vaccinated AND after that I did all I could to find the best of homes, which isn't easy, because there are more "free" kittens then one can count. Each of those cats is still with their owners today and they are beloved pets. The oldest is now 6 years old.

I do have to say, those kittens that I saved ended up with the BEST temperaments that I have seen in cats. I'm not a cat person at all, but I did end up keeping one of them. Jack was one of the ones near death. It was touch and go for days. Not much hope. To make him survive I had to force feed him. Fast forward 3 years later and he is a gorgeous cat with the most unique and best temperament ever. That cat adores me. I haven't seen such loyalty in a dog (and I'm a dog person) . I think he thinks the sun rises and sets on me. It is the weirdest thing. I figured he would hate me, I had to force feed him (which he hated) and I was the one that introduced discipline and training to him. I don't believe cats can't be trained. I don't abide biting in cats or scratching. He comes when called, which is to funny. He is the cuddliest and most affectionate cat ever. I can do anything to him. As a matter of fact, I dremmel his nails and he lays in my lap as I do it. He will come into the backyard with us at times, stay right by us and the dogs, and then come back inside with us. He never even goes near the fence, ever. He loves my dogs and plays with them and everybody that stays at my house falls in love with him and can't believe there is such a cat as him. You couldn't buy a cat like this with all the money.

All of my rescues ended up wonderful pets. Far nicer then all the pedigree cats I've come across. My latest rescue was another one that was beyond rough, but boy, did he turn out wonderful and he is at a wonderful home. I made a facebook page for him to let people join in his progress. He was one of the hardest to give up EVER. We got ever so attached to him. As small and in terrible shape he was in, he was the sweetest. NO FEAR in him, absolutely wonderful with all my dogs AND my cat. He just made himself at home, all of the handful that he was, with one eye busted, and another eye injured. If anyone would like to see little Frodo.. https://www.facebook.com/luckyfrodo/...homepage_panel

So long story short. I think feral cats are a terrible problem, but I blame irresponsible owners to have started this problem and keeping it going. As fast as ferals are getting trapped and fixed, new ones are being created by people that don't give a ..... !
    However, if a kitten is found and helped in time, they can make great pets.

If those 4 kittens actually ran across the streets, then they were old enough to be on their own and most likely would have been difficult to tame. They will make it, or not. But not much you could have done about it, they are very difficult to catch. But I think it is great that you care..
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

dadofsix (09-18-2017),distaff (09-18-2017),Monty44 (09-18-2017)

Thanks
    They much rather be in the wild then in your house or a shelter. Idk why everyone is making like having wild cats is such a bad thing, they control mice population and a lot of other pests. Is there a drawback to having them? Yes, but there are benefits and problems with almost every animal we have including deer. It's sad but it is what it is!

Thanks
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but in mine, they do NOT prefer "the wild". In the wild they are dead in a short while.

Usually, you will find stray and feral cats in neighborhoods and cities, not out in the wild. If anything they are in wooded or grassy areas right around neighborhoods and cities. They don't really make much of a difference in rodent control at all. They mostly live off of garbage and scraps they find or off of kind hearted people feeding them.

They usually end up dead from getting run over, destroyed by other predators or simply from diseases that are rampant in outdoor cats (Feline Leukemia, FIV, URI that end up rupturing their eyes from infection)

I know many cats that are perfectly happy indoors as long as they get played with and entertained, much like you have to do with a dog. One can even provide outdoor entertainment that is safe, with a little work and effort.

Its just the thing with cats, though. Many believe its perfectly fine to let them out where they become a nuisance to others and to some wildlife. Not many people bother spending quality play time with cats, mostly leaving them to their own devices (they do get bored). And then there is a litterbox. Why bother cleaning one when the cat can poop and pee in the neighbors yard.

I wouldn't dream of allowing my dog to do this to other peoples homes, why should I let my cat??

Feral and stray cats are a real problem in many places and nothing good comes from them, through no fault of their own.

But this, like all things, is a matter of opinion. Everyone has one, and this is just mine
    Zina

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Kira (09-23-2017)

Thanks
    I'm sure different cats prefer different environments. A cat that was born in captivity will most likely prefer indoors than a feral cat would. Like you said it's just opinions as we are not cats and can't say what they prefer more than another. But like I said there are definitely some benefits and drawbacks to every animal in the wild. I've adopted numerous cats over my life and have one now, I've been to dozens of shelters and there's nothing sadder than seeing animals locked in cages because of humans that were only born because of humans.

Thanks

Re: Feral kittens in forest??? (SUPER IMPORTANT)

Quote Originally Posted by highqualityballz View Post
    I've been to dozens of shelters and there's nothing sadder than seeing animals locked in cages because of humans that were only born because of humans.
    And I absolutely agree with you on that.

My point is that its NOT a solution to take those animals and "free" them, thinking that this is better then having them locked up. It is not. It is cruel to throw these animals out into the world. Most do not have the skills to survive without human intervention.

Being feral (scared of humans and not tame) does not mean having skills to survive in the wild. Most ferals live off of garbage and food left out for them. They do not "thrive". They just survive and breed nonstop, because that is what they do when left unfixed. That's why most ferals (unless in a colony that is taken care off by caring humans) are skinny, rough and sickly. Living a relatively short and rough life.

None of that is their fault, of course.

It all started with irresponsible pet owners.
    Zina

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Kira (09-23-2017)

Thanks
    Not every cat that goes outside is killed or becomes invasive. Alot of responsible cat owners let their cats out and let them roam. If you truly know your cat then you should know whether your cat truely enjoys being outside and is smart enough that he or she would survive being outside. My uncle has had his cat live outside for around 10 years. Still lives at home and has a custom built post/hideaway that has runways etc. and is huge. Still is docile, good with children and comes and goes as he pleases. Our cat is the same. He has been infatuated with the outdoors since he was young and prefers to be there just as much as he does inside if not more. He is neutered and has his shots as well, he has brought home rodents and makes it a point to show us his gifts lol. I know there are a lot of irresponsible cat owners who abandon their cats but there are just as many that KNOW their animals and give them what they really want to let them be happy. Not saying that every cat wants that life but some do. Speaking of which here he is in all his beastly glory 🤗😍

Thanks
    Well, we can agree to disagree and still stay forum friends

I just do not like when people let their cats roam, unless its on a farm. I have NO doubt the cats enjoy it. My horse would love to be out and about to munch wherever she could. My dogs would enjoy it, too, but I wouldn't dream of letting them run around to use other neighbors yards as their toilet.
    And that really is a problem. If you live in a nice house and take pride of taking care of it and the yard/garden only to have the neighbors cats use your flowerbed as litter boxes and spray the house and cars, its unacceptable to me. Cat urine smell is pretty disgusting and I have a friend who had trouble selling her house, because right by the entrance it would reek of cat urine, thanks to a couple of the neighbors cats that would NOT stop coming to that house to do their business. To me, that is unacceptable. I myself have tried to pull weeds out of my flowerbeds only to gag from the smell and having to remove cat "poop". And I live in a nice neighborhood, not rural.

A neighbor down the road has a couple beautiful cars and his hobby is taking care of them. Only one fits into the garage, though. Just about every day he has cat prints ALL over his car that he just detailed. not to mention the fine scratches as they "slide down" the sides. (its a SUV)

So some cat people might find this not a big deal. I do. I don't believe that the animals I took responsibility for should be running around causing trouble to other people. Or native birds, etc.

As for vaccinations, in the case of cats, you cannot prevent the "biggies". The feline leukemia vaccine doesn't work well and the FIV vaccine doesn't at all. So yes, its quite the risk. But that is between the owner and their cat, so that in itself I have no problem with.

But I understand. For many people it is the "accepted norm" to let cats roam. I don't find it acceptable. But we all know about opinions, we all have our own
    Zina

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    If they couldn't be adopted out I would have them euthanized. They kill more reptiles and other struggling native wildlife than just about anything.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Feral kittens in forest??? (SUPER IMPORTANT)

Quote Originally Posted by Misternewbie View Post
    Not every cat that goes outside is killed or becomes invasive. Alot of responsible cat owners let their cats out and let them roam. If you truly know your cat then you should know whether your cat truely enjoys being outside and is smart enough that he or she would survive being outside. My uncle has had his cat live outside for around 10 years. Still lives at home and has a custom built post/hideaway that has runways etc. and is huge. Still is docile, good with children and comes and goes as he pleases. Our cat is the same. He has been infatuated with the outdoors since he was young and prefers to be there just as much as he does inside if not more. He is neutered and has his shots as well, he has brought home rodents and makes it a point to show us his gifts lol. I know there are a lot of irresponsible cat owners who abandon their cats but there are just as many that KNOW their animals and give them what they really want to let them be happy. Not saying that every cat wants that life but some do. Speaking of which here he is in all his

Every cat that goes outside will kill. They've done studies on it, your cats are no different than any other cat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12