Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,681

3 members and 2,678 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

New owner, first shed, some questions

So I've had my ball python Paarthurnax for about two months. Recently I went on vacation and had family watch him. When I got back they said he hadn't come out for four days so I assumed he was in shed. I checked on him, no blue eyes, color looked the same. Two days later I checked on him again and saw he had shed. It was mostly one big piece and a few smaller ones. There's still a tiny bit on his tail and he might have retained eyecaps. I also didn't see the head piece of the shed. His eyes are shiny but they look like they still have a filmy substance over them so I'm not sure. I put some warm damp moss in his hide. How worried should I be and what should I do? His color didn't seem to change at all either, but I could still be learning to recognize it. Also should I try and feed him or wait until his normal feeding day on Saturday?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    If you could get some pics that would help us determine if the eye caps are intact.

I wouldn't worry too much, even if the eye caps are intact it'll be ok.

As for recognizing the shed process, it usually starts with a pinkish belly, followed by dulled skin and eyes. Eyes will the go into blue. They will then clear and the skin will look pretty much back to normal. Within a few days from then the snake will shed.

As for feeding, I would wait til Saturday.