Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,963

0 members and 2,963 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    Not really a myth but my favorite thing said to me being;

"I still wouldn't trust it. I've seen enough movies! Haven't you seen Anaconda/Snakes on a Plane!?"

I've heard this said to me TWICE and both times those two movies are always quoted why? They're terrible! Lol
    Last edited by MissterDog; 09-13-2017 at 01:38 AM.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I'm just gonna kinda piggy-back the dog thing here. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs, but I love snakes more

Anyway, I went to my bank a few months back and much to my surprise walked in to see a woman with her pit bull inside the bank. At first I thought nothing of it, but as I waited in line my mind wandered a bit. Since I knew the woman, I knew her dog was NOT a service animal. So WHY was her dog allowed inside the bank?? I couldn't help but imagine the looks I would get if I walked in with one of my snakes, and wondered how long it would take for them to kick the snake and I out telling me never to bring that dangerous, scary animal in the bank again.

Now let's compare the dangers of a 500 gram BP vs a 70-80 lb pit bull in a semi-crowded bank...

- one can cross a room within a second or two, the other would slither across the floor and take a solid minute plus to cross the room. I can outrun a BP...
    - one's jaws can latch on to any part of my body, break bones and tear muscle, the other's bite is less painful than a papercut, I'll take the BP bite if given the choice
    - one is curious by nature and will approach people willingly and attack when spooked, the other is basically afraid of it's own shadow and would try to escape and hide when spooked.
    - neither is letting go if it attacks and latches, but one can be pried off easily by a small child

...but the dog is allowed in a bank, my snakes, I doubt it...
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 09-13-2017 at 07:11 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

GpBp (10-30-2017),Monty44 (09-13-2017)

Thanks

Re: What are the strangest bp myths you have heard?

Quote Originally Posted by carldordelman View Post
    I have heard this one.." that snake will size you up to see if you are a meal!"
    They don't understand that even the largest anaconda on the planet would have a difficult time eating a 200 pound adult man... but a 6 pound ball python! If he tried to eat me, I would laugh and eat him! Heck, he couldn't even kill a cat! A cat is much more dangerous animal, they kill far more animals, far more frequently, yet people own tons of these malevolent felines and think they are cute.
    Picked up my ball last Sunday I got the same thing LMAO from someone at work.

Thanks

"Sizing you up for a meal" is definitely something I've heard before. The snake will supposedly get out at night and slither up in bed stretched out next to you to see if you are small enough for it to eat. Ridiculous! A snake could never do that in the wild, and even if it could, humans are gigantic compared to them! I've also been warned (by non-snake-people) about getting other pets now that I have a snake, because the snake is obviously just a monster who attacks, kills, and eats anything in its sight lol.

I'm also pretty sure Christianity (and similar religions) are the only ones who portray snakes as evil. Serpents are depicted as godly in other religions such as Buddhism and Hinduism, and some tribes in Africa will still hold a funeral if a ball python is accidentally killed in their village.

Thanks

I am Catholic and have a snake. Ridiculous.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    I live in West Tennessee and the amount of people here that are simply terrified of snakes is astounding. I can sort of understand given the large number of venomous snakes but still. People I have had over are just terrified of my little baby like he will suddenly jump out the glass and kill them with one touch.

I of course have heard and have even asked on this forum about if others have heard it - that ball pythons are incapable of "peeing" liquid.
    Middle TN here

I laugh everytime.someone says 'why is he wrapped around your wrist like that, isn't he going to cut your circulation off??!!!' or a girl asked me 'so did you have him defanged yet'. I've never laughed harder.
    1.0- Pastel het Pied- Khaa

Thanks

I just heard an even more ridiculous story. Some very large snake (unsure what breed it was) apparently stopped eating for a very long time. When it was taken to the vet, the owner was told to put the snake down immediately. It was supposedly making room to eat the owner!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by elleon View Post
    I just heard an even more ridiculous story. Some very large snake (unsure what breed it was) apparently stopped eating for a very long time. When it was taken to the vet, the owner was told to put the snake down immediately. It was supposedly making room to eat the owner!
    http://www.snopes.com/critters/snakes/measured.asp

truly a classic...
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elleon View Post
    I'm also pretty sure Christianity (and similar religions) are the only ones who portray snakes as evil. Serpents are depicted as godly in other religions such as Buddhism and Hinduism, and some tribes in Africa will still hold a funeral if a ball python is accidentally killed in their village.
    Actually as a Christian, I know that the Bible uses several different animals in metaphors to represent Satan, including lions as well as snakes. It never says that snakes are evil.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast