Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,735

0 members and 2,735 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Question - Covering glass front for snake kept in "high traffic" area

Hi everyone!
    I've been lurking for a while, and though I don't yet have a ball python, I am making plans to get one in the future.
    I'm pretty new to snakes and currently only have a baby corn snake, so I was looking for someone with more experience who could let me know what they think of this idea. Currently this is all theoretical for me as I try to figure out how I want everything set up for when I pick up my (months in the future) ball python and as my corn snake gets bigger.

The only easy place in my house that would work for adult-size cages is out in the living area. While my fiance and I are often in our office or other rooms, it is one of the main traffic areas from the front door, garage, kitchen, and back yard. We also have a moderate to high energy young dog, so there's a fair amount of foot traffic back and forth through the room playing with him or letting him out. It is only the 2 humans in the house, so it's not nearly as busy as a playroom in a house with kids would be. I was thinking about getting one of the AP cages (T8 and T3, or a pair of T8s, smaller would potentially be for my corn), as I've heard great things about them. And despite the location being one of the few places those cages will fit well, I also want to be able to show my snakes off to any visitors.

Since snakes are often called fairly shy and I've seen people suggesting placements for cages out of high traffic areas when possible, I was wondering whether anyone knows if it is more of a visual problem or if it is sounds/vibrations that bother the snakes. If it was more visual, I was thinking that I could put a fabric "flap" that could be draped down over the glass during expected periods of higher traffic (when visitors come after the initial 5 or 10 minutes of "ooh" and "ahh" are done, etc.). This would just be over the glass and not all the time, and ventilation shouldn't be a problem in these cages since those are in the sides/back.

Does anyone think that the visual blocking would be helpful for a snake? (or am I overthinking things?)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    The covering would help. The snake will feel more secure if it feels well hidden. If they are out "in the open" they may freak a bit. It is a visual thing. You want the snake to feel like it is well-hidden in a cave where nobody can eat it!

Thanks

Re: Question - Covering glass front for snake kept in "high traffic" area

Quote Originally Posted by carldordelman View Post
    The covering would help. The snake will feel more secure if it feels well hidden. If they are out "in the open" they may freak a bit. It is a visual thing. You want the snake to feel like it is well-hidden in a cave where nobody can eat it!
    I have a question to this, i have seen a lot of snakes in set ups in reptile stores with no hides at all, are the snakes just used to this since they are older? My local pet store have big snakes. Its not pet smart or that he is a breeder with his own store, but none of his snaked have hides there out in the open with just substrate and a water dish?

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Re: Question - Covering glass front for snake kept in "high traffic" area

Quote Originally Posted by Deu2e View Post
    I have a question to this, i have seen a lot of snakes in set ups in reptile stores with no hides at all, are the snakes just used to this since they are older? My local pet store have big snakes. Its not pet smart or that he is a breeder with his own store, but none of his snaked have hides there out in the open with just substrate and a water dish?

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
    Yeah, this is NOT ideal. Pet stores do this because they need to display the animals out in the open for marketing. A snake completely hidden won't be a very easy sale.. lol. Also, it is more work to properly house an animal, and even the best pet stores have to be efficient and keep an eye on the overhead.
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 09-12-2017 at 09:35 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-12-2017)