Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,804

1 members and 2,803 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Hybrid View

Thanks

How to convince my mom to let me get a BP.

I've been keeping reptiles and exotics for the past 8-10 years but my mom still won't let me get a BO. She says she's not scared but I don't know about that . And I'm wondering if your moms did the same thing. also she would let me get a rear- fanged venomous vine snake or a green tree instead but I just want a chill snake like lol.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes my parents did the same thing and considering how long those animals live they did me a favor, because when I turned 18 I started moving from country to country which would have been very hard if not impossible.

It's only when I settled down that acquired my first BP.

The bottom line if you are passionate now you will be in 5, 10,even 20 years from now, grow up, go to college, travel....you have plenty of time before taking on a 30+ years commitment.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

cletus (09-12-2017),Craiga 01453 (09-12-2017),Godzilla78 (09-12-2017),L.West (09-13-2017),Vipera Berus (09-13-2017)

Registered User Slytherin's Mommy's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: How to convince my mom to let me get a BP.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    I've been keeping reptiles and exotics for the past 8-10 years but my mom still won't let me get a BO. She says she's not scared but I don't know about that . And I'm wondering if your moms did the same thing. also she would let me get a rear- fanged venomous vine snake or a green tree instead but I just want a chill snake like lol.
    I have a bp and when my mom found out she now makes me turn in circles before she lets me in her house. Just to make sure I don't have my bp with me... lol
    You could always have a friend bring their bp over and show your mom how sweet they really are! Good luck!

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Thanks

Well, I know for a fact my dad isn't scared so I can't help you with your parent being scared, but I did help my lil brother who was slightly afraid. He told me though, and I was happy to answer his questions and bust some myths he had heard/thought of.

You're also experienced so you don't have to go through the same process as I did: "snake talks", proving knowledge +responsibility.

All I'll say is this, and I may seem a little weird since I have a BP, but I feel like I should say it. Ultimately it is up to your parents (if you're a minor/living in their place). Sometimes you just have to respect their decision, because nobody likes to be pushed. When I ask for animals it takes a couple of years (or over a year at least, my BP wasn't as hard as some animals I had when I was younger) to really even get them slightly interested/have them be okay with the thought. So yeah, sometimes it just isn't going to work out when you want it to. In the future maybe they'll say yes, or maybe you'll be old enough to make that decision yourself! But right now, respect the "no" if she absolutely will not budge. Don't push, don't bring it up every half hour (you may not do this but I've seen people do it), don't beg about the basics (I promise I'll take care of it, I'm responsible enough, but please, not that these apply to you).

Well ill that might all seem hypocritical. But the BEST advice I could give you, is to just straight up ask "mom, why not?". By doing this my dad learned a lot about snakes (ball pythons especially) that he had never known before, and discovered that a lot of what he thought about care wasn't true.

best of luck to you!!!
    Dewey
    He ain't scare of no things

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Any pet is a HUGE commitment, so unless you are responsible enough to live ON YOUR OWN, then perhaps just respect mom's wishes, and in the meantime focus on making money and having your own place, so you can get whatever pets you desire!
    To me, you should be taking care of yourself before taking care of another life.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

L.West (09-13-2017)

Thanks

I will respect her decision!

A lot of you responded to this well! Actually all of you! Thanks. I will respect her current opinion until she cracks at the next reptile show and let's me get something lol. I know she secretly likes them but she knows I will end up with a ton instantly. I will probably get an anaconda hognose or a Calabar python because those guys are just sweeties.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I found talking over various reptiles helps. My first snake was a corn snake and it led to 3 tortoises (one per child). Weirdly my parents were ok with frozen rats but not live crickets or other insects. My suggestion is do your research and exdplain the difficulties and space requirements for herbivorous lizards as compared to insect eating lizards. Which is worse - bag of frozen rodents or a bunch of insects that can escape. I ended keeping snakes and tortoises instead of the lizard I considered, The crickets and locusts seemed to make a huge difference in what I could keep.