Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,344

3 members and 3,341 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: What was your first herp?

Quote Originally Posted by RamMac View Post
    My first was a red eared slider named Rudy, I got him when I was around 7 or 8. I (and neither did my parents) did not know anything about proper care for Rudy. He was kept in a glass aquarium, probably 20 gallons. He never had a water heater, filtration, basking light or a basking dock. Knowing all this I'm surprised he lived as long as he did with us. I had him for 3-4 years. He was quite messy and after time I neglected changing his water. My mom had a friend who lost a pet, a rabbit I believe. She was heartbroken and given that I was not being responsible with Rudy's care my mom gave Rudy to her friend. Lesson learned, don't buy pets for kids without the knowledge that the parent will more than likely have to care for the pet.
    yes, that is definitely something I always try to emohasize when I talk to people who seem interested but don't know anything. I'm a beginner myself but I have the knowledge I need to take care of my new BP myself. Thanks for sharing! Rudy's story sends out a great message.
    Dewey
    He ain't scare of no things

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GiddyGoat For This Useful Post:

RamMac (09-11-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyGoat View Post
    yes, that is definitely something I always try to emohasize when I talk to people who seem interested but don't know anything. I'm a beginner myself but I have the knowledge I need to take care of my new BP myself. Thanks for sharing! Rudy's story sends out a great message.
    I feel horrible when I think about it.
    0.1. Boa constrictor ​imperator

0.0.1. Aphonopelma chalcodes
    0.0.1. Grammostola pulchra

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RamMac View Post
    I feel horrible when I think about it.
    Everyone makes mistakes, but the important thing is that you learned from it. Some people just never observe, and never really use their mistakes to build upon knowledge for the future. You know better, and now you use your past experiences to educate others.
    Dewey

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I can't remember which came first, my turtle or my iguana. I was probably somewhere around 10 years old at the time of getting them. I wanted a snake SOOOO badly, but my father was 100000000% against a snake in his house. So, we compromised. I didn't get my first snake until I was 21 and living in a house I was renting with two friends.

...man, that seems like forever ago...
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 09-11-2017 at 03:34 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I can't remember which came first, my turtle or my iguana. I was probably somewhere around 10 years old at the time of getting them. I wanted a snake SOOOO badly, but my father was 100000000% against a snake in his house. So, we compromised. I didn't get my first snake until I was 21 and living in a house I was renting with two friends.

...man, that seems like forever ago...
    wow, an iguana at 10?? How'd that go for you?! Haha I can't even imagine. Luckily my dad isn't scared of snakes and actually finds them interesting, so getting him to say yes to a snake wasn't too hard. Just had to prove myself and my knowledge of his care. Time flies though, am I right?
    Dewey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12