Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,602

1 members and 2,601 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Anti-Thread Necro Patrol
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries

What Does A Pinhead Look Like?

I've read about them for years now and did so again just recently. But no one ever seems show a picture. Does anyone have one they can post or link to?
    - Mason

Banned
    Thanks

Re: What Does A Pinhead Look Like?

Quote Originally Posted by MasonC2K View Post
    I've read about them for years now and did so again just recently. But no one ever seems show a picture. Does anyone have one they can post or link to?
    Just a fairy tale.

Thanks

What Does A Pinhead Look Like?

Had a long discussion about this at my old job. Pretty sure it's not real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KayLynn; 09-07-2017 at 11:39 AM.

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    It is a thing and it is difficult to find good photos of it because it's not something people want to show off. it used to be more common 15+ years ago but not so much any longer with all the years of improved husbandry advice and knowledge shared about best practices regarding slower growth rate and feeding of boas. It doesn't make the head tiny or anything, it's just smaller in comparison to the body than would be expected, hard to describe, it just looks a little 'off'. They also can grow into it over time from what I've seen.
    Last edited by AbsoluteApril; 09-07-2017 at 12:48 PM.
    For the Horde!

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Also Super Motley boas tend to have undersized heads, so do a google image search for 'super motley boa' to get an idea of what it may appear like (although super motley boas also sometimes have an underdeveloped bottom jaw which a normal 'pin head' boa would not).
    For the Horde!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Their head has no fat on it so it looks super thin from rear to the eye whereas normal bp hatchlings are filled out and curved outwards. Generally after a few meals it goes away and the head resembles more normal proportions.

The most common cause is either hatching too early in development of not absorbing the yolk correctly.
    Last edited by dr del; 09-07-2017 at 04:59 PM.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

KayLynn (09-08-2017),Sonny1318 (09-07-2017)

Banned
    Thanks

As you said.. no one ever seems show a picture!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    It is a thing and it is difficult to find good photos of it because it's not something people want to show off.
    But it's not a legitimate syndrome. The best explination as to what would cause a "pinhead" is what dr del stated, and even then it can be remedied by a few feedings to restore proper definition that was not developed in the last stages of incubation. True microcephaly in snakes - or in anything really - is very rare, and would most probably be caused by abnormal development or injury to the embryo during incubation. I have yet to see legitimate "pinheading" that isn't just a fat, overfed snake with a head that looks too small compared to the girth of the body.

Of course I could be wrong, I don't know everything about syndromes that might afflict snakes and my experience with boas (with which the claims of pinheading seems the most common) is limited compared to ball pythons. But all I've ever seen to substantiate pinheading is just talk on the internet and weird explinations or tall tales as to what might cause it, like feeding prey items so small that the head doesn't stretch out enough to get bigger (the most outlandish claim I've come across).
    Last edited by KayLynn; 09-08-2017 at 05:11 AM.

Anti-Thread Necro Patrol
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Jist for clarity, the pinhead I have talking about is when you overfeed the heck out of a snake in its youth that the body is supposedly so much bigger that the head that it is called a pinhead. Some of the descriptions I have found say the snake looks like it has no neck.
    Last edited by MasonC2K; 09-08-2017 at 08:11 AM.
    - Mason

Banned
    Thanks

Jist for clarity, the pinhead I have talking about is when you overfeed the heck out of a snake in its youth that the body is supposedly so much bigger that the head that it is called a pinhead. Some of the descriptions I have found say the snake looks like it has no neck.
    I can assure you that such thing does not exist and just a fairy tale. I challenge anyone to provide pictures. Think logicly, even if the snake is overfed, why would the head become much smaller than the body? Does something like this occur in humans or any other animals? You can mention other real negative sides of overfeeding, no need to believe, rely on and spread fairy tales such as this.
    Last edited by Dutti; 09-08-2017 at 08:42 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast