Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,262

4 members and 3,258 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Moving states

Thanks

Question Moving states

Hey guys I'm super new here to this forum but I have a question I'm hoping some veteran reptile lovers will have an answer to. Im moving from Bay Area California to Pheonix Arizona and need to take two snakes with me. Ones a year old ball python and the other is a four foot Corn snake. I'll be traveling by car and the snakes will be in the cabin with me (not on the trailer or in the trunk or something) but i want to make sure they're as safe and happy as possible. Any suggestions???

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Pillowcase that has a tight knot so they can't get out. You can also put them in said pillowcase and inside of a tub with a lid, just make sure you have air holes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to andrewross8705 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-06-2017)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Also a good idea to put some papertowels in the pillowcase or deli cup to absorb any urate in case they decide to go on the way (sometimes a bumpy car ride gets things a'moving).

I've moved from the Bay Area to Vegas and then back again with over 20 snakes.
    For the Horde!

Thanks

Re: Moving states

I would suggest doing a car transport with the same materials as an overnight shipment. Insulated box, and a snake bag or deli. Keep the box away from any direct heat or cold, just nice ambient room temp is fine. For a one or two day trip you won't need to feed or water (a good hydrating soak before you leave is always a good idea). An inconspicuous insulated box can go with you in a restaurant, hotel, grocery store, etc.

Have some extra newspaper in case the snake makes a mess in the bag. A good insulated box protects the animal structurally, but also protects it from any temp swings either way. It keeps the animal safe from bouncing around or from getting squashed by other cargo. It also keeps it protected and safe from any escapes.

Those two animals would be fine in separate bags, both in our ShipYourReptiles shipping kit #3, the 15x11x7 box.
    Last edited by Robyn@SYR; 09-06-2017 at 09:50 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn@SYR View Post
    I would suggest doing a car transport with the same materials as an overnight shipment. Insulated box, and a snake bag or deli. Keep the box away from any direct heat or cold, just nice ambient room temp is fine. For a one or two day trip you won't need to feed or water (a good hydrating soak before you leave is always a good idea). An inconspicuous insulated box can go with you in a restaurant, hotel, grocery store, etc.

Have some extra newspaper in case the snake makes a mess in the bag. A good insulated box protects the animal structurally, but also protects it from any temp swings either way. It keeps the animal safe from bouncing around or from getting squashed by other cargo. It also keeps it protected and safe from any escapes.

Those two animals would be fine in separate bags, both in our ShipYourReptiles shipping kit #3, the 15x11x7 box.
    my plan thus far is two plastic bins with holes with the snakes in the bags. i plan on putting heat packs on one side of the bin of each snake. besides that, if we need to stop for food or rest i plan on using drawstring bags to keep them with me.

now does anyone have suggestions for cage transport??

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pewterboy View Post
    Hey guys I'm super new here to this forum but I have a question I'm hoping some veteran reptile lovers will have an answer to. Im moving from Bay Area California to Pheonix Arizona and need to take two snakes with me. Ones a year old ball python and the other is a four foot Corn snake. I'll be traveling by car and the snakes will be in the cabin with me (not on the trailer or in the trunk or something) but i want to make sure they're as safe and happy as possible. Any suggestions???

First off, sorry for your move to hell (it's literally so hot there).

Tips for moving your snakes:

Bags and a foam cooler with a few holes in them. A day at less than ideal temps isn't gonna kill a reptile. Just make sure to avoid temperature extremes so if you stop in a hotel don't let the air conditioning allow the room to get extremely cold. Depending on where your going see how the weather changes from one state to another.

You keep the snakes in separate bags but you can put as many in the same cooler as allows them to not be forced on top of each other. You can buy a sheet of foam at the hardware store and cut out a square that fits inside the foam cooler and put some legs on it like a table so you essentially form shelves within the box that means you can put a few more in the box while not forcing the snakes to be laying on the other snakes. Make sure to place crumbled newspaper in there so their is cushion and they don't get thrown around every time you hit a pot hole.

https://shipyourreptiles.com/shop/cl...e_bags/product

The bags are pretty cheap and it'll keep poop off of your pillow cases. If you wanna use a pillow case though I won't judge you though lol.

As always have a few cool packs available just in case, use whatever thermometers you have and insert the probes in the boxes so you don't have to open them to make sure temps are fine.

Try and not stress out about it too much. Reptiles are very durable and as long as they don't drop below the 70 range or go over the 95 range for an extended amount of time things should go swimmingly. The main purpose of the foam coolers is to just avoid extreme temp changes that can happen. Good luck.