Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 623

0 members and 623 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question If you had the choice ...would you go with a dwarf Retic or a Buras your first giant?

Hello all once again!

***title is supposed to say "Burm"

It's been years since I've been on here and I would appreciate some honest advice. I'm looking at either getting a male albino burm or a male tiger dwarf retic. Which would you start with? I'm not a complete stranger to large constrictors as I've had some true red tail females in the past, this however would be my first giant. I know this may start a theoretical war on here, but I would appreciate the advice. Are retics practically unhandleable at larger sizes when working alone?...due to speed?

Thanks, Kevin
    Last edited by KevinK; 09-05-2017 at 04:12 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    from your two choices, i would take the 1.0 Dwarf Tiger Retic b/c it would be a "smaller" snake. they will still get 10-plus feet tho.

Edit: however, my ideal lil giant would be a Dwarf Hypo Burm, followed by a pure Kalatoa Superdwarf Retic. i don't personally have experience w/ them yet but i'm sure others will be chiming in soon.
    Last edited by Ax01; 09-05-2017 at 04:28 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

KevinK (09-05-2017)

Thanks

Re: If you had the choice ...would you go with a dwarf Retic or a Buras your first gi

Thanks for the response! Man the hypos are beautiful too! Now, you've put me in a predicament with paint jobs!
    Last edited by KevinK; 09-05-2017 at 04:39 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Super dwarf/dwarf retic morph for sure.

Retics handle fine but they are a go go go snake. Caesar personally isnt a fan of being carried around but he loves attention and to explore stuff on his own. I can carry him but he just isnt a fan of it like the boas for the most part.

And yes they can move fast when they want to.

And either a dwarf retic or burm is going to get fairly large. I personally dont want anything over 10' as i handle my snakes alone.

Caesar is 37.5% super dwarf, 31.5% dwarf, 31% mainland White Albino Tiger het snow male who is almost 1.4 years old. He's about 7' and a giant lush lol. Like i said, he loves attention and actually seems to enjoy being pet as he will come over and hang out by my arm in his cage while i pet him 30 mins or more. Then he decides it's ok by 'dad' to climb down to the floor and wander around haha.

Retics are smart and very interactive. I dont own a burm so I'm not sure how they rank on the smart scale but retics observe everything and i have caught Caesar watching me clean the other snakes cages.

One thing though, at feeding time, they get dangerous. No joking there. Caesar has flown out of his cage a few times with mouth open waving around. Feed time for any of my larger snakes is a double and triple check of what I'm doing. So be aware of that if you get something that gets to 10'.

If you are looking for a lap snake, i would say a retic is NOT it. They are awesome but are definitely more on the active side.

Anyways, here are some pics of Caesar to give you an idea. And retics come in a much bigger selection of colors and patterns than burms even the super dwarf/dwarf retics.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (09-05-2017),KevinK (09-05-2017)

Thanks

Re: If you had the choice ...would you go with a dwarf Retic or a Buras your first gi

So in summary are you taking a gamble on size due to percentage of dwarf? That was really my only qualm about Retics. Do they have any guidelines that say within reasonable accuracy what you can expect size wise based on dwarf percentage?

I know what I'm getting myself into as far as a large constrictor, but the requirements on anything I would say that can hit 12+ feet would be a bit much (I basically base that only on a 9ft female Suriname I had years ago, but still, I know she didn'the have the energy of a retic)....at the same time I do want an animal that will get to a considerable size.

Thanks for the response
    Last edited by KevinK; 09-05-2017 at 05:43 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tinyballs View Post
    So in summary are you taking a gamble on size due to percentage of dwarf? That was really my only qualm about Retics. Do they have any guidelines that say within reasonable accuracy what you can expect size wise based on dwarf percentage?

I know what I'm getting myself into as far as a large constrictor, but the requirements on anything I would say that can hit 12+ feet would be a bit much (I basically base that only on a 9ft female Suriname I had years ago, but still, I know she didn'the have the energy of a retic)....at the same time I do want an animal that will get to a considerable size.

Thanks for the response
    It is kind of a gamble as you have no real definite answer to how large a mix of SD/D will get. Feeding will play into it but some retics are more food driven and will push and destroy their face if not kept happy. Caesar is an example of that. I tried to go 2 week with him and he pushed in half his face, split his lip, scuffed his chin and messed up a couple belly scales. It all healed fine when i kept him fed for a couple weeks but he has to be fed every 10 days or so or he pushes.

Also i have been told certain genes will make bigger animals generally. Tiger gene is one of them.

And then of course it also depends on how much of what gene the animal takes. Take for example Gio's retic, he is more dwarf then mine and less mainland by a considerable amount and is fed a lot less yet his male is only about 1 foot smaller than mine who was fed on the heavier side. Then you look at JMs ultra ivory male who about 18 months old and 3'.

You can get an idea though as super dwarfs generally stay under 10'. Dwarfs around 14' and mainlands around 18'. But again there is no certainty.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

KevinK (10-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

If you had the choice ...would you go with a dwarf Retic or a Buras your first giant?

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    It is kind of a gamble as you have no real definite answer to how large a mix of SD/D will get. Feeding will play into it but some retics are more food driven and will push and destroy their face if not kept happy. Caesar is an example of that. I tried to go 2 week with him and he pushed in half his face, split his lip, scuffed his chin and messed up a couple belly scales. It all healed fine when i kept him fed for a couple weeks but he has to be fed every 10 days or so or he pushes.

Also i have been told certain genes will make bigger animals generally. Tiger gene is one of them.

And then of course it also depends on how much of what gene the animal takes. Take for example Gio's retic, he is more dwarf then mine and less mainland by a considerable amount and is fed a lot less yet his male is only about 1 foot smaller than mine who was fed on the heavier side. Then you look at JMs ultra ivory male who about 18 months old and 3'.

You can get an idea though as super dwarfs generally stay under 10'. Dwarfs around 14' and mainlands around 18'. But again there is no certainty.
    Good info here, though Gerald is more like 5' or a tad more and is 50% SD and 50% mainland from Thailand. But yeah, he's tiny. Dad was 6' ultra anery, mom was 11' platinum/fire het anery bred my Bob Clark.
    My vote would be for a very high % SD. My 100% SD kalatoa girl Phyllis is a solid 8' at 18.5 months and is a handful at times. You'd better be on your toes around feeding time with her or you could wind up in trouble. She also requires a LOT of food or destroys her face like Caesar. They are very smart and curious snakes though and I love them. Also worth noting... expect to clean a LOT of pee! They drink copious amounts of water and expel it in similar quantities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jmcrook; 09-05-2017 at 07:07 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

KevinK (10-11-2017),Sauzo (09-05-2017)

Thanks

It’s also also worth a mention that dwarf retics are generally not as docile as the mainlands, they tend to be quite flighty. When my brother bred retics the mainlands that we’re handled were much more docile than any dwarf species and even when tamed every now and then a dwarf would tag you. I’m sure there are exceptions but worth mentioning, good luck on choice!
    " Show me someone who hasn't made a mistake and I'll show you a liar ".

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Louv44 For This Useful Post:

KevinK (10-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Also are you looking at "dwarf" or "super dwarf" retics? I ask because genetic stripe is considered a "dwarf" gene but my adult female GS is just shy of 14 feet long.

If you want a smaller retic look for high percentage super dwarf animals, not dwarfs.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

KevinK (10-11-2017)

Thanks

I want both. LOL

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast