Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,886

1 members and 2,885 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Gravel in arid vivarium

I'm thinking of putting gravel into my Western Hognose's vivarium for an arid western scrublands look. Any one have any opinions on this, or a recommended product or place to purchase it? I'm aware that gravel could be an impaction hazard, but North American hognose species in the wild are known to favor sandy and/or gravelly soils, so I'm a bit conflicted on this.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Gravel in arid vivarium

Carl Kauffeld successfully used pea gravel (~ 1/4 inch diameter) for the snakes in the Staten Island Zoo. See http://www.nytimes.com/1974/07/11/ar...en-island.html

By the way, Kauffeld's books are great reading.

I have used slightly smaller gravel for some hatchling and juvenile bullsnakes. There was no trouble with impaction, but I did have to stay on top of the spot cleaning. Sand is much more of a problem than gravel for impaction. Sand also traps much more moisture between the grains than gravel, so I do not use sand.

I don't have any places or products to recommend, but an aquarium shop might be worth checking out.

Good luck.

Thanks

Re: Gravel in arid vivarium

Quote Originally Posted by paulh View Post
    Carl Kauffeld successfully used pea gravel (~ 1/4 inch diameter) for the snakes in the Staten Island Zoo. See http://www.nytimes.com/1974/07/11/ar...en-island.html

By the way, Kauffeld's books are great reading.

I have used slightly smaller gravel for some hatchling and juvenile bullsnakes. There was no trouble with impaction, but I did have to stay on top of the spot cleaning. Sand is much more of a problem than gravel for impaction. Sand also traps much more moisture between the grains than gravel, so I do not use sand.

I don't have any places or products to recommend, but an aquarium shop might be worth checking out.

Good luck.
    Thank you for the link! This helped a lot.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk