Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,503

3 members and 1,500 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Woma Python (Aspidites ramsayi)

Hey there - I'm looking to expand my collection and think a nice woma might be a great addition. I've been going through all of the threads here and think I've read just about every one that mentions womas.

I have to figure out a few particular details before I decide and housing is number 1 - I want to provide an ideal enclosure...Is a T8 the best enclosure, the T10 preferred, or something completely different? I love my T10's and want to keep the AP enclosures (my OCD) even though I have access to 3 Vision 422 enclosures for $250@.

Sounds like with any snake the temperament has a lot to do with the individual snake and consistent handling practices but any other input is appreciated.

Then I have to find breeders - on my short list are Nick Mutton, Grant and Mary (saw Deb recommended them), Jason Hood (another recommendation from someone here), and Derek Roddy but he hasn't returned my e-mail yet and I notice there hasn't been an update to his website since 2015. So any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance....
    Last edited by BR8080; 08-27-2017 at 02:57 AM.
    Ball Python
    0.1 Lesser (Lucille) local pet store
    Boas
    0.1 Caulkers Cay (CC) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Sunglow het moonglow (Sonny) from Dustin Dirnberger
    1.0 BCI - DH Sharp Snow (Bob) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa (Babylon) from Ike Lightener (Ike's Exotics & Aquatics)
    Pythons
    0.0.1 Unknown/undocumented rescue (Roger)
    Northern White Lip (Solo)
    Cats

1.1 Domestic short hair (Esther and James)
    Snake Wishlist
    Drymarchon Malanurus (Black Tail Cribno)
    SD/D Retic
    Woma or Black Headed Python
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

Thanks
    Any enclosure at least 48" x 24" x 12" will do. They don't need much humidity at all and are fairly tolerant of a rather wide temp range (still keep it consistent though).
    As for disposition, as youngsters and sub adults you are more likely to get bitten by mistake than due to aggression. All 3 of our are very confident and inquisitive but have insane feeding responses. Just be patient and make sure they know you are not food and you will be fine.
    As for breeders, don't settle. There is a wide range of looks and quality. Some look great as babies but look bland as adults. Find a breeder that will show you pics of the parents so you know it is a look you will like. Price does not seem to change much (250-350) from what I have seen.
    Derek Roddy has some gorgeous womas but I am not sure if they are producing this year. He is much easier to get a hold of via Facebook messenger than by email. I can't speak for the other guys you mentioned but Derek is good people and truly has a passion for these creatures.
    1.0 Albino Black Pastel Pinstripe BP "Menolo"
    0.1 Albino Spider BP "Ginger"
    0.1 Black Pastel Het. Albino "Jasmine"

1.0 Woma python "Stitch"
    0.1 Woma python "Milo"
    0.1 Woma python "Millie"

1.0 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python

1.0 Black South African Boerboel "Midas"
    0.1 Chocolate Lab "Coco"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to enginee837 For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (08-27-2017)

Thanks

Re: Woma Python (Aspidites ramsayi)

Reptile Rapture breeds their own womas, my boy is one of theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (08-27-2017)

Thanks
    My girl was a doll for about the first 4-5 mnths then hit a growth spurt and everything became food. But she has never been "aggressive", no hissing, striking or any of that. Ive bumped up her food, gotten her on a schedule and handle her more.She is slowly getting better, I still have to be careful.It takes her probably 15 minutes to get over her food thing when I pick her up, then she becomes curious and easy to handle.
    I keep a hook by me so if she starts sniffing around me arms or hands I can redirect her head.

I do love how curious and alert they are, not passive like boas or bps(which I love too).
    Last edited by Miranda2; 08-27-2017 at 08:47 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Miranda2 For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (08-28-2017)