Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,252

2 members and 3,250 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran BallPythonWannaBe's Avatar
    Thanks

20 gal for life?

So,I was wondering what snakes could live in a 20 gal for life? So far I have African House snakes,Kenyan Sand Boas, different opinions on Garters and LOTS of varied information on Rosy Boas. I'd like them to have pretty easy husbandry also By easy I mean do able with the right research
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"
    -J.K Rowling Sorcerer's Stone
    Long time no see, back at it again in my white vans.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    If you're set on a 20 gallon for life, your options are pretty limited. My vote would be for a male western hognose though.

My advice is this, however: don't pick the animal based on a 20 gallon enclosure you have sitting around. Pick an animal YOU WANT and can care for responsibly, then choose the enclosure accordingly.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

GreenTea (09-12-2017),MissterDog (08-27-2017)

Banned
    Thanks

Re: 20 gal for life?

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    If you're set on a 20 gallon for life, your options are pretty limited. My vote would be for a male western hognose though.

My advice is this, however: don't pick the animal based on a 20 gallon enclosure you have sitting around. Pick an animal YOU WANT and can care for responsibly, then choose the enclosure accordingly.
    I understand space limitations can be a concern, but in the big picture a 20 gallon is small. I think it would be best to choose the animal you want and decide if you can make the appropriate accommodations for that animal. Why choose an animal based around an enclosure you can get for 20 bucks at the Petco dollar/gallon sale or cheaper on craigslist?

Consider this also: depending on the species you choose, you're looking at at least a 15 year commitment, with some species living 30+ years. Do you really want an enclosure you have lying around dictating a decision based on an animal that will be a 15-30+ year commitment?

Just trying to help you out, hope I was able to...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (08-27-2017)

Thanks

Your right,I think I need to sit back and really think about this :/ My trouble is that I always change my mind,but than come back to at least three snakes I like(Brooks King,Hognose,and Corn Snake) I have done research on all these species(Before mom even said yes to a snake,as I wanted to have a solid argument that the kinds of snakes I was looking at wernt dangerous.)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonWannaBe View Post
    Your right,I think I need to sit back and really think about this :/ My trouble is that I always change my mind,but than come back to at least three snakes I like(Brooks King,Hognose,and Corn Snake) I have done research on all these species(Before mom even said yes to a snake,as I wanted to have a solid argument that the kinds of snakes I was looking at wernt dangerous.)
    Nothing wrong with taking your time and deciding which is best for you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Nothing wrong with taking your time and deciding which is best for you.
    True that I've got time,no matter what the little voice in my head is saying I keep coming back to the Albino Western Hoggies though 0-0 Those little snouts combined with the "Fear me I look like a rattle snake but am really harmless and adorable" attitude catch my eye

Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts
    Personality wise I *always* get a kick out of my hognose. He's full of hiss, and bluff, and bluster (most are), but at the same time all that 'anger' melts away the second I pic him up and he's totally chill with being handled. He's active, and beautiful to boot with that up turned nose. As a bonus of the snakes you mentioned he's one of the easiest husbandry wise. I have a Kenyan Sand Boa and I love him too, but he's not nearly as 'fun' as my hog. Also of the three you mentioned (King, Hog, Corn) the Hog is really the only one that can really be counted on to stay truly small.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to piedlover79 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-28-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piedlover79 View Post
    Personality wise I *always* get a kick out of my hognose. He's full of hiss, and bluff, and bluster (most are), but at the same time all that 'anger' melts away the second I pic him up and he's totally chill with being handled. He's active, and beautiful to boot with that up turned nose. As a bonus of the snakes you mentioned he's one of the easiest husbandry wise. I have a Kenyan Sand Boa and I love him too, but he's not nearly as 'fun' as my hog. Also of the three you mentioned (King, Hog, Corn) the Hog is really the only one that can really be counted on to stay truly small.
    They're so tiny when they're babies I've been watching some YouTube videos of Hogs and I like the way they move also

Banned
    Thanks
    Yeah, I absolutely ADORE my hognose boy, Cosmo.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with how I ended up with Cosmo, but he's an AWESOME snake!!!I have completely fallen in love with the species.

My Cal King, Django, is still my favorite snake ever though. So honestly, I personally think you can't go wrong with either.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts
    Hognose are super tiny babies and I would actually suggest you find an adult or you should start with a smaller tank than a 20 gallon for a 12 gram snake.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to piedlover79 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-28-2017)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast