Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,908

1 members and 2,907 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    I think all these comfort and emotional support crap is comedy. I had a service dog and I think that someone in a wheelchair would benefit more from him so he is back with the trainers.

All this I need my dog in the Wal-Mart cart with me cause I have anxiety. GTFO of here.

ESA is a scam for people who have bullcrap issues. That's why the ADA doesn't recognize them. If you have real issues than you would get a service dog trained for you.

Tell me what does your snake in a backpack do for you emotionally. What a crock. Does it crawl out and alert you to cues of your anxiety?

If your animal doesn't meet the 3 question criteria set by the ADA then you have a PET. This goes for all of these fuzzy dogs in walmart and all of these compassion support pets...
    "Passion Breeds Quality, Quality Breeds Desire" - Tim

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ElliotNess For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (09-12-2017),Jeanne (08-31-2017),PokeyTheNinja (08-29-2017),RamMac (09-08-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Re: HR take on snakes as a service and emotional support animal

Quote Originally Posted by ElliotNess View Post
    All this I need my dog in the Wal-Mart cart with me cause I have anxiety. GTFO of here.
    Wal-Mart is not public property. Stores are private property so they can choose to permit ESA's or even any animals on their premises or not.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

andrewross8705 (08-29-2017)

Thanks

i am not going to get into it.... i have been in contact with the National Service Animal Registry for the last 5 years about what can and cannot be registered as a service animal or an ESA..... but me taking my snake out in public is no different that someone taking an unregistered animal either as a service animal or an ESA into a store or out for a walk... if i am going to take her out with me i am not going to leave her in a hot car and get in trouble for cruelty to animals and like i said most of the time no one knows that she is with me because she is in my backpack.... but because of how bad my PTSD and Anxiety Adjustment Disorder is, I have to her with me to keep me from having really bad anxiety attacks or if something cause me to have flashbacks to the reason why i have PTSD.... i guess from now on I am just going to keep my mouth shut on things when someone who asking a question about something that i may know something about

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I'm going to try and keep this as civil as possible.

I think all these comfort and emotional support crap is comedy. I had a service dog and I think that someone in a wheelchair would benefit more from him so he is back with the trainers.
    People who suffer emotionally is funny to you? What is wrong with you that you laugh at people who you know nothing about. I'm not talking about those who abuse the ESA certifications. I'm talking about people with legitimate issues.

ESA is a scam for people who have bullcrap issues. That's why the ADA doesn't recognize them. If you have real issues than you would get a service dog trained for you.
    Anxiety and depression is a bull crap issue? I have both so I have bull crap issues? Tell me, how is this a bull crap issue? I could have registered my dog years ago as an ESA but I didn't because I always lived in places where dogs were allowed and because if an apartment or landlord didn't allow pets, they don't deserve my money. This has nothing to do with being disabled. You're talking about two completely different things. It would be the equivalent of me saying I have anxiety and this guy next to me suffers from seizures, we're in the same boat. No, we aren't. Not even by a long shot.

What is a real issue since you seem to know EVERYTHING there is to know about "real issues"

Tell me what does your snake in a backpack do for you emotionally. What a crock. Does it crawl out and alert you to cues of your anxiety?
    Do you know what an emotional support animal is supposed to do for a person? This isn't a medical response dog who is trained to lay in front of you when seizing or alert you if you're going to have a diabetic emergency. What about this guy? He has depression and PTSD but oh wait, those aren't "real issues" so he obviously doesn't need the ducks. He just has bull crap issues. My reptiles are calming and help me relax but I'm not going to try and take them out in public and flash an ESA card every time someone questions me. They help with my anxiety much like petting a dog lowers your blood pressure.

If your animal doesn't meet the 3 question criteria set by the ADA then you have a PET. This goes for all of these fuzzy dogs in walmart and all of these compassion support pets...
    Once again, how do you know what someone is going through? What about a rape victim suffering from anxiety or PTSD? Must be a bull crap issue because it's not a dog that's traditionally used as a service dog and it's a small fuzzy dog. Obviously that small dog can't do anything to help someone.

If I receive an infraction, so be it but you are all kinds of ignorant and should stop talking. I have zero patience for idiots like yourself. You're a disgrace.

@arianauchiha2017, please stick to the regular text format. The bright colors and large font size are nice but can be a bit of an eyesore. Literally.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to andrewross8705 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (09-12-2017),Monty44 (09-06-2017),Nellasaur (08-31-2017),the_rotten1 (08-29-2017),Timelugia (09-06-2017)

Thanks

This kind of thing boils my blood. So many people abuse the use of ESA and SA when they don't even know ADA laws. THERE IS NO REGISTRY FOR SERVICE ANIMALS OR EMOTIONAL SUPPORT ANIMALS. REGISTRIES ARE A SCAM. Emotional support animals do not have the same function as a service animal.
    SNAKES CANNOT BE TRAINED, ONLY CONDITIONED. Therefore, how do they do tasks for people with PTSD, Autism, Diabetes, the blind or even seizures? That is the whole point of a service animal.
    An Emotional Support animal is only allowed into housing, and even then, landlords can decline. They are not for purpose out in the public. They are only to provide emotional support/comfort to one person while in home.
    Service Animals provide the handler with tasks, such as notifying the handler of symptoms and when to take their medications. This takes a willing dog and lots of training and time.
    Using the those scam registries to bring Fluffy into your favorite restaurant, into housing cause you don't want to rehome Fluffy or find a different home is ABUSE of the system and you should be ashamed.
    THE ONLY TIME YOU SHOULD HAVE AN SA OR AN ESA IS WHEN YOUR DISABILITY MAKES IT HARD FOR YOU TO FUNCTION IN YOUR DAY TO DAY LIFE.
    I have depression, social anxiety, and even PARANOIA but I do not misuse the system since I can do everyday tasks.

Bottom line, snakes will be ESAs when snakes become domesticated. Please follow ADA laws because it IS illegal to fake a service animals and you do ruin it for those who actually need one.
    ~My Zoo~
    Boas:
    1.0 Pastel Dream MonsterTail Het Kahl (Snakerdoodle)
    0.1 Ghost Het Kahl (Dahlia)
    0.1 DRMB High Red (Matilda)

Colubrids:

0.1 Pyromelana (Vesta)

Mammals:

0.1 Quarter Pony (Peaches)
    1.0 Lippitt Morgan (Kenai)
    1.0 Chi/Pom (Bolt)
    1.0 Chesapeake Bay Retriever (Günther)

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PokeyTheNinja For This Useful Post:

distaff (09-08-2017),Godzilla78 (09-12-2017),Jeanne (08-31-2017),Trisnake (09-13-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewross8705 View Post
    I'm going to try and keep this as civil as possible.

People who suffer emotionally is funny to you? What is wrong with you that you laugh at people who you know nothing about. I'm not talking about those who abuse the ESA certifications. I'm talking about people with legitimate issues.

No people who abuse the reason that the ADA exists. Where did I laugh at someone with legitimate issues? And for clarity I consider LEGITIMATE as a recognized disability or disorder in the medical community. You seem to just blanket accept "issues" so please explain to me the lady who pushes around 4 Chihuahuas in a grocery cart then when asked she says "my emotional support"... GTFO with that nonsense.

Anxiety and depression is a bull crap issue? I have both so I have bull crap issues? Tell me, how is this a bull crap issue? I could have registered my dog years ago as an ESA but I didn't because I always lived in places where dogs were allowed and because if an apartment or landlord didn't allow pets, they don't deserve my money. This has nothing to do with being disabled. You're talking about two completely different things. It would be the equivalent of me saying I have anxiety and this guy next to me suffers from seizures, we're in the same boat. No, we aren't. Not even by a long shot.

What is a real issue since you seem to know EVERYTHING there is to know about "real issues"

See legitimate issues above.
    But seeing you know so much about me, I am inviting you to my appointment on Sept 13th at Loma Linda VA hospital. Just the usual follow-up for my PTSD, Depression, Anxiety ... you know my every day struggle. If you aren't available that day, there is weekly meetings and classes for Anger Management you can attend. How is it up there sitting on your high horse now? Hey was your "issues" caused by land mines, snipers, almost dying in a C130 accident, death, dismemberment? Oh ok so its not the same as the 62 year old single guy whose wife left him cause he was an aszhole so he takes his dog everywhere now?

Do you know what an emotional support animal is supposed to do for a person? This isn't a medical response dog who is trained to lay in front of you when seizing or alert you if you're going to have a diabetic emergency. What about this guy? He has depression and PTSD but oh wait, those aren't "real issues" so he obviously doesn't need the ducks. He just has bull crap issues. My reptiles are calming and help me relax but I'm not going to try and take them out in public and flash an ESA card every time someone questions me. They help with my anxiety much like petting a dog lowers your blood pressure.

Americans With Disabilities cites that emotional support dogs or animals do not have the training to do specific tasks in assisting a person with disability or impairment, unlike service animals. Hence, the pets may not be allowed to accompany their owner in public places ie. restaurants, stores, hotels.

I'm not psychic but I am going to guess the same thing as a pet... a warm fuzzy you get from a gerbil, goldfish so basically nothing special.

Once again, how do you know what someone is going through? What about a rape victim suffering from anxiety or PTSD? Must be a bull crap issue because it's not a dog that's traditionally used as a service dog and it's a small fuzzy dog. Obviously that small dog can't do anything to help someone.

Again you are just making nonsense statements looking to stand on shallow ground.

You probably think its ok to park in a handicap spot cause they are obese right? If the doctor says its a medical related issue, guess what YOU GET A PLACARD. All others are just fat and lazy.

If I receive an infraction, so be it but you are all kinds of ignorant and should stop talking. I have zero patience for idiots like yourself. You're a disgrace.

@arianauchiha2017, please stick to the regular text format. The bright colors and large font size are nice but can be a bit of an eyesore. Literally.
    "Passion Breeds Quality, Quality Breeds Desire" - Tim

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

No people who abuse the reason that the ADA exists. Where did I laugh at someone with legitimate issues? And for clarity I consider LEGITIMATE as a recognized disability or disorder in the medical community. You seem to just blanket accept "issues" so please explain to me the lady who pushes around 4 Chihuahuas in a grocery cart then when asked she says "my emotional support"... GTFO with that nonsense.
    ElliotNess
    You think it's comedy. Do you cry at comedy? No, you laugh. You think emotional support crap is comedy. How is emotional support a laughing matter? I'm not talking about the lady who is pushing around 4 chihuahuas in a grocery cart. I also don't widely accept issues. I have issues myself and I don't appreciate those who abuse ANY system regardless of what it is. You're assuming I accept issues left and right. Don't assume, it makes you look bad. If that lady is pushing around 4 dogs, chances are, she's abusing the system or just says they are ESA without documentation. She's no different than the people who take the motorized carts because they don't want to walk around the store.

See legitimate issues above.
    But seeing you know so much about me, I am inviting you to my appointment on Sept 13th at Loma Linda VA hospital. Just the usual follow-up for my PTSD, Depression, Anxiety ... you know my every day struggle. If you aren't available that day, there is weekly meetings and classes for Anger Management you can attend. How is it up there sitting on your high horse now? Hey was your "issues" caused by land mines, snipers, almost dying in a C130 accident, death, dismemberment? Oh ok so its not the same as the 62 year old single guy whose wife left him cause he was an aszhole so he takes his dog everywhere now?
    I never claimed to know everything about you. You're the one making assumptions about me and other people. I have anxiety, depression and a whole host of other problems including cardiac and tissues diseases. Mental illness is mental illness and yours is not different than mine, Jim or Jane's. If we have it, we have it. Do you think you're the exception and get immunity to criticize others because of what you experienced? I have plenty of respect for veterans and work with several. The vets I have no respect for are the ones who think they are above everyone else and are entitled to bash on anyone else who tries to relate to them. To be clear and so you can't attempt to twist my words. I'm not saying you are that guy. I'm saying I have no respect for those who act like that and unfortunately there are quite a few out there.

My anxiety and depression runs in the family but it's also been amplified from working as a firefighter/EMT. Responding to see a kid murdered, a family dead after being hit by a semi, dismembered motorcycle riders, shootings, burn victims, overdoses, a SIDS call with hysterical parents and witnessing a suicide during a standoff. How is YOUR issue above mine or anyone else's? I respect that you served/still serve this country and I respect my current public service employees because it's a harrowing job and it will never get easier. You comparing someone whose wife left him because he was an arzehole to his wife is not even up for debate. You're building a straw man with that logic.

Americans With Disabilities cites that emotional support dogs or animals do not have the training to do specific tasks in assisting a person with disability or impairment, unlike service animals. Hence, the pets may not be allowed to accompany their owner in public places ie. restaurants, stores, hotels.

I'm not psychic but I am going to guess the same thing as a pet... a warm fuzzy you get from a gerbil, goldfish so basically nothing special.
    ADA and ESA are completely separate. Why are you even attempting to put them in the same category? That's like saying ice and fire are the same thing. I'm fine with ESA animals being prohibited from going into PRIVATE places. A restaurant, store or hotel is not public property. If Home Depot doesn't allow someone to bring an ESA inside, that's their choice and I can respect that. Again, look at the article I linked. The man has ducks and they provide a benefit to him. Service animals provide a service. Emotional support animals provide just that. Emotional support. Do you see the difference now?

Again you are just making nonsense statements looking to stand on shallow ground.

You probably think its ok to park in a handicap spot cause they are obese right? If the doctor says its a medical related issue, guess what YOU GET A PLACARD. All others are just fat and lazy.
    How am I making a nonsense statement when using a rape victim as an example? Please, elaborate on that. If you can't, then stop assuming because once again, you're making assumptions when you don't know me. I don't think it's acceptable for someone to park in a handicap spot if they are obese. Where did I even come close to implying that? You're the one reaching for things that aren't there so you can build your straw man. Just so we're clear, I don't agree with people that use the placard to park in a handicap spot just because they have a family member that is disabled and was given the placard. There are multiple people in my office that do that and have openly admitted to doing it because they don't want to park further away. I'm also against people who attack others because they don't look like they are disabled.

You're reaching for straws and making baseless assumptions with no evidence or facts to back them up. Next time, don't assume you know me when you don't.
    Last edited by andrewross8705; 09-06-2017 at 11:41 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    From what I have seen esa animals are more often that not just an excuse to be allowed to take your pet where others can't take theirs. Then again I think ptsd is about as over diagnosed as fibromyalgia and adhd.
    No, I am not a heartless person either. I am a realist who has spent 20+ years in public safety and have had a front seat to the progression of this s#$t show.
    On and off duty I have been attacked by "service dogs" who in fact were simply untrained poorly behaved pets that someone went online a purchased a 75.00 certification that they needed this animal to function comfortably in public. Well how about the people who have anxiety when they are forced to be in a grocery store with a dog and they are germaphobes? Or those that are simply scared of dogs/cats/ or whatever animal you think you need. Who's comfort takes precedence?
    The real sad part here is those that truly need this stuff are more often than not too proud to admit they need it. They instead, internalize, process and move on. They do what they have to and find a way to survive without expecting the rest of the world to make an exception for their precious feelings.
    Last edited by dr del; 09-07-2017 at 05:09 PM. Reason: removing censor trip
    1.0 Albino Black Pastel Pinstripe BP "Menolo"
    0.1 Albino Spider BP "Ginger"
    0.1 Black Pastel Het. Albino "Jasmine"

1.0 Woma python "Stitch"
    0.1 Woma python "Milo"
    0.1 Woma python "Millie"

1.0 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python

1.0 Black South African Boerboel "Midas"
    0.1 Chocolate Lab "Coco"

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to enginee837 For This Useful Post:

distaff (09-08-2017),PokeyTheNinja (09-13-2017),Trisnake (09-13-2017)

Thanks
    I don't purport to be an expert in any of this in any sense of the word, but have an interesting note.

I have PTSD and have not found animals to be directly helpful in particular. I enjoy spending time with them and they make me happy, I enjoy the process of caring for them but don't find them to be therapeutic necessarily .

However, I've noticed an immediate calming effect when handling my snake. He totally chills me out. I had a typical PTSD nightmare for me this morning and got up to handle him and it really helped. I haven't had that feeling with an animal before. I don't know what that's about but just something to note. Everybody experiences things differently. I think that's the therapeutic feeling others have experienced. That doesn't mean I'm going to take him everywhere or anything but just thought I'd share.

Thanks

I agree with you, and I'm saying this as someone with severe service related anxiety and depression. I love my snakes but I don't see how they would bring any sort of comfort in a public area (my biggest trigger). Even my dogs do very little to calm my symptoms and they are very keen to detecting emotions. Service dogs are a completely different story, an animal that is helping you with a physical task is very different than one providing you your subjective safe space. I also noticed someone accused you of finding people with emotional suffering funny. Virtue signaling at it's finest. I didn't see it that way at all.
    Last edited by RamMac; 09-08-2017 at 10:25 AM.
    0.1. Boa constrictor ​imperator

0.0.1. Aphonopelma chalcodes
    0.0.1. Grammostola pulchra

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RamMac For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (09-13-2017),Trisnake (09-13-2017)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast