Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,068

1 members and 3,067 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: HR take on snakes as a service and emotional support animal

Here it is plain and simple. ESA is Black Lives Matter. Someone came up with the idea of something to help and it became a shihtshow. There are more false claims of ESA than real "users".

Service dogs are trained to perform a function to assist someone. ESA are PETS ..

Did you get your ESA from a trainer?
    So YES I find ESA comedy.... cause it has become an excuse to take your pets in stores.

I also agree that alot of crap is overdiagnosed... if it doesn't exist, they make a name for it and call it a disorder.... lol

So it may have been a good idea but ESA is now nonsense because of the abuse.... not that it was ever legitimate in the first place....

How do you spell ESA = PET
    "Passion Breeds Quality, Quality Breeds Desire" - Tim

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ElliotNess For This Useful Post:

jclaiborne (09-11-2017),PokeyTheNinja (09-13-2017),Trisnake (09-13-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RamMac View Post
    I agree with you, and I'm saying this as someone with severe service related anxiety and depression. I love my snakes but I don't see how they would bring any sort of comfort in a public area (my biggest trigger). Even my dogs do very little to calm my symptoms and they are very keen to detecting emotions. Service dogs are a completely different story, an animal that is helping you with a physical task is very different than one providing you your subjective safe space. I also noticed someone accused you of finding people with emotional suffering funny. Virtue signaling at it's finest. I didn't see it that way at all.
    I'm always the bad guy cause I tell the truth and it usually hurts... Thankfully there are ESAs cause if they are lucky it helps with hurt feelings....

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ElliotNess For This Useful Post:

jclaiborne (09-11-2017),PokeyTheNinja (09-13-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ElliotNess View Post
    I'm always the bad guy cause I tell the truth and it usually hurts... Thankfully there are ESAs cause if they are lucky it helps with hurt feelings....
    Just gonna jump in here for a minute. Telling the truth is good, but you also have to communicate it in a way that shows thoughtfulness to others. Think of the difference between a teacher correcting a student and the kid in the back of the class "correcting" the same kid by cussing and making fun of him. What you are saying is a valid stance, but the words you are using and the order you are using them in is disrespectful and inflammatory. Just take your quote above as example. You are making yourself the victim "I'm always the bad guy". "I tell the truth and it usually hurts" I read this and think *its not the truth that hurts its how you say it.* You then go on to attack people who have ESAs.

But this is the truth and you'll just snap at me since you think you're all that!
    -That's just an example, I would never say that to someone. Notice the difference. Correcting yourself can hurt and can be difficult. But obviously you're a tough guy who can handle that

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Timelugia For This Useful Post:

andrewross8705 (09-08-2017),Godzilla78 (09-12-2017),tttaylorrr (09-08-2017)

Thanks

You are correct and I don't mean to attack those who need an ESA. I am irritated at the fact that people hide behind someone else's legitimate issues. So if I came across rude, my apologies.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ElliotNess For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (09-13-2017),Timelugia (09-08-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    I find this whole topic ridiculous, but nevertheless interesting. ESAs? WTF?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (09-14-2017)

Thanks
    2 semesters ago (before I transferred colleges), I would see students and their "emotional support animals" all over campus, in classes, in the library, etc. These were NOT registered service animals, these were pets people had certified by whatever means so they could keep their cat/dog/whatever in their dorm rooms and bring them to class with them. Several people I asked readily and unashamedly admitted to this. Most animals were NOT well trained, often disruptive and just generally in the way, and the owners felt no need to correct the issue because of their "service animal status".

Yes, I know it is the colleges decision to allow ESA's since they are not legally required to allow anything less than a registered service animal. Yes, I know not all ESA owners are this discourteous, rude, or blatant about abusing the system if that's what they're doing. But I do think there is a real problem, especially with young people (and this entitlement culture these days), condoning or normalizing the abuse of medical or government programs when they do not need or qualify for aid. Some people feel they need their pet to be certified as an emotional support animal; okay, go ahead, but be realistic with your expected accommodations and don't be rude to others over those accommodations. Animals are great for destressing, relaxing, feeling happy-- the warm fuzzy feeling you get when you hug a dog or snake or whatever animal can really help with mood and emotional state. I don't deny that and I don't judge anyone who feels that way, I feel the same. But saying you need an emotional support animal to ride in the car and in the shopping cart with you or sitting next to you in class or a restaurant whenever you leave the house because of your "social anxiety" is a stretch. I find it hard to believe so many healthy young adults are that emotionally and socially crippled.
    Last edited by Trisnake; 09-13-2017 at 03:45 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trisnake For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (09-13-2017),PokeyTheNinja (09-14-2017)

Thanks

Agreeddd Trisnake agreed.

I mean I have issues, but they aren't so damaging to the way I function every day for me to have to bring my animal with me wherever I go. When I get home? Yeah I hug my dog, I'll hold my snake, but seriously??? Some people do have social anxiety that affects their lives and the way they function, but you're right- it's a stretch. Besides, if your animal physically can't help you, or isn't trained to even help you the right way, how are you benefitting? Maybe it makes sense to some but I personally don't see it.

I mean I think it's awesome that some colleges allow certain pets on campus/in dorms, but in class? That seems really distracting.

Imma be honest here and say that the minors and young adults of this time for some reason seem to feel that they're entitled. Not EVERYONE, of course, but a decent amount. The kids in my school seem to think they deserve utmost respect and leniency from teachers even if they don't treat them that way, they're always getting the newest thing and feel like they NEED/SHOULD have it, to the point where it's disgusting.... I don't belive this is any different. I think that a good amount of the people in my age group feel that they're entitled to have their pet with them just because the people who ACTUALLY DO NEED IT have it. Life isn't fair, and everyone doesn't always get/need the same things.
    Dewey
    He ain't scare of no things

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GiddyGoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Trisnake Funny that you mention young people as part of the problem, because the only person I know who's used an ESA that way is anything but young. Granted, I don't know many college-age kids, but old people can be pretty entitled too.

I do agree that it's a problem. ESA status shouldn't grant anything but the ability to have an animal in your home, so people taking them out in public have no right to do that. That said, I know more people who have actual service animals. They're so well trained that they make the people around them look ill-behaved, usually because those people don't understand that they're not supposed to pet, touch, or offer the animal food.

When a real service animal is in public, 90% of the time you won't even notice it's there. It will sit quietly until/unless it's services are needed, perform them on command, and never make noise, make a mess, or get distracted by what's going on around it.

You just can't get that with a snake, and you probably never will. It's not a good idea to take snakes out in public anyway, since it stresses most of them out. Carting one around in a backpack can't be healthy for the snake, even if the owner finds it's presence comforting. I hope people come to their senses before someone gets hurt.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to the_rotten1 For This Useful Post:

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Comparing an ESA to a service animal is comparing apples to oranges.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to andrewross8705 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by andrewross8705 View Post
    Comparing an ESA to a service animal is comparing apples to oranges.
    they're both fruit.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast