Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,742

0 members and 2,742 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Artificial light and BPs: Is a natural light cycle "Bad" for BPs?

Mine has a light in his T8 on a timer and likes to stare at it occasionally. He also likes to have his face stuck out of wherever he's hiding in the morning most of the time when it comes on so he can watch out of his cage. He hides his face again around when I leave for work. He doesn't seem stressed by it at all - he's honestly become kind of nosy and seems to want to know what's going on. (He might just be hoping for more food from me because he also seems to want to be fed more than weekly even though I used to feed more like bi-weekly...the clear waiting for food position almost every evening makes me feel a bit guilty :/ he is a fat boi at heart.)

1.0 Pastel yellowbelly ball python -Pipsy
    2.0 Checkered garter snakes - Hazama & Relius
    1.0 Dumeril's boa - Bazil

Thanks

THANK YOU. I belong to the same group and came here to ask the exact same thing! Everyone on the fb grout says light stresses out BPs. Do what??? I've never had that problem or heard of it. The people in that group insist that CHEs are the best way to go, but I hate how much they dry out an enclosure.
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Southern Black Racer (permanently disabled)
    2.2 Cats
    0.1 Dog

RESCUES I'VE FOUND HOMES FOR:
    1.1 BCIs
    2.1 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Black Pastel Albino Ball Python

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by O'Mathghamhna View Post
    THANK YOU. I belong to the same group and came here to ask the exact same thing! Everyone on the fb grout says light stresses out BPs. Do what??? I've never had that problem or heard of it. The people in that group insist that CHEs are the best way to go, but I hate how much they dry out an enclosure.
    Yeah those FB snek groups can be brutal. I posted a cute video of my BP doing a "yawn" and while the majority of users loved and shared the post, I had a select few that BERATED me for having a red light in his setup. We've since switched to a CHE, natural light cycle, and regulators... but honestly his attitude and behaviors haven't drastically changed. He was happy and healthy with the light, and he's still happy and healthy with the CHE. I do prefer the way it looks in his setup now, but FB BP owners are really rude and don't approach these kinds of questions in a helpful manner. That's why I like this forum WAAAY better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by O'Mathghamhna View Post
    Yes... When I asked for proof that it was bad for the BP to have a light, if given proper hides, etc. They directed me to a group article from their group that only said "lighting isn't necessary" nothing about it being harmful.

Now, I fully believe if you didn't give the snake hides or if you left the light on 24/7, that you would see negative effects from it. But having a light on a timer with proper hides? Too many people keep snakes like that without any issues, myself included.

I personally think many people on those groups just parrot the information they have been given and extrapolate on it... i.e. a mod told them that light was unnecessary and to give hides if using one in the day...which became "lights are bad for bps" when told from one poster to another over time.

I just wish that they wouldn't react so harshly to people that use different methods. Even if what a poster is doing is wrong (proven harmful) you can tell them that and give helpful suggestions without coming off as rude and preachy. Unfortunately, I think they often run people off and those people won't improve their husbandry or ask any questions in the future because they have been treated like scum.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12