Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 910

0 members and 910 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

High Humidity Update - PVC Cage

After battling high humidity (99%) issues for the last couple of days, I chose to remove all the moist (not wet) Reptichip from my pvc enclosure as well as the hides (which were dripping with condensation). I wiped everything down and used a small fan to drive down the humidity into the low 60s.

I put in some dry coco soft (made from coconut husk and it's what I had) and limited the amount of water in the dish. I checked this morning and the humidity was hovering around the mid 80s but there was no condensation on the sliding windows as there was in the past. Hoping this number won't have increased when I get home from work today.

Hopefully this is acceptable. Definitely better then it was. I'm a little weary of increasing the amount of water in the bowl due to what it could do the humidity. Still considering other substrate options. I suppose the Reptichip will be reserved for another season when humidity isn't so high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ckuhn003; 08-24-2017 at 12:14 PM.
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts
    Having a high humidity problem is a good problem to have, at least much better than the opposite. I like keeping mine a little on the higher humidity side anyway, just seems to make life easier with nice one piece sheds and they seem to like it in general. The reptichip is imo still the best substrate option for you, or anyone for that matter. But in your situation, I would start with it just misted enough to break apart. Then check how it holds humidity. If to low, spray a couple more mists. Do this every couple days and then stop once you reach the humidity you want. Reptichip holds a lot of water, so if you already saturated it breaking down the brick, then yes, it will make things very humid. But if you start with a fresh brick, it comes pretty dry and you should be able to get it to hold your humidity exactly where you want it.

Nice looking setup!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rufretic For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (08-24-2017)

Thanks

Re: High Humidity Update - PVC Cage

Quote Originally Posted by rufretic View Post
    Having a high humidity problem is a good problem to have, at least much better than the opposite. I like keeping mine a little on the higher humidity side anyway, just seems to make life easier with nice one piece sheds and they seem to like it in general. The reptichip is imo still the best substrate option for you, or anyone for that matter. But in your situation, I would start with it just misted enough to break apart. Then check how it holds humidity. If to low, spray a couple more mists. Do this every couple days and then stop once you reach the humidity you want. Reptichip holds a lot of water, so if you already saturated it breaking down the brick, then yes, it will make things very humid. But if you start with a fresh brick, it comes pretty dry and you should be able to get it to hold your humidity exactly where you want it.

Nice looking setup!

Much appreciated response! I think the biggest concern for me was the condensation caused by the high humidity. Especially when I lifted the hide and found it dripping wet

Any suggestions on storing unused reptichip? I have it in a tub but wasn't sure if I should cover (i.e. mold) or uncover (i.e. potential for bugs)......

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

I generally only prep a bit more than I need to fill the cages and then store enough for a few spot cleanings in a tub with a bunch of holes drilled in it. I only use about 1/4-1/3 of a block at a time for two 4x2 cages.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    I generally only prep a bit more than I need to fill the cages and then store enough for a few spot cleanings in a tub with a bunch of holes drilled in it. I only use about 1/4-1/3 of a block at a time for two 4x2 cages.

I started that down that path but after speaking w/ reptichip, they recommended doing the whole block at one time. The holes in the tub sound like a good idea.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Much appreciated response! I think the biggest concern for me was the condensation caused by the high humidity. Especially when I lifted the hide and found it dripping wet

Any suggestions on storing unused reptichip? I have it in a tub but wasn't sure if I should cover (i.e. mold) or uncover (i.e. potential for bugs)......
    You definitely are going to want to let it dry out a bit since it sounds like it's too saturated for your setup. I would see if you could find some kind of mesh bag. One big enough may be difficult but it would be the best way I can think of to keep bugs out but still breath very well and let the moisture out.

This is just an idea and may be a bad one lol, but if you'd like to use is sooner, you could probably put it in a pillow case, make sure it is securely tied closed and then throw it in the drier. Do this at your own risk and with some common sense like, don't leave your house while it's going, it may be a fire hazard so try at your own risk. But I don't see why it wouldn't work. It will dry it out nice and quick for you and then you can use it again starting with it dry and then ramping up the humidity until you get where you want. Just make sure not to use any thing chemical like softener in the dryer, make sure the pillow case is free of such things too. Well good luck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rufretic View Post
    You definitely are going to want to let it dry out a bit since it sounds like it's too saturated for your setup. I would see if you could find some kind of mesh bag. One big enough may be difficult but it would be the best way I can think of to keep bugs out but still breath very well and let the moisture out.

This is just an idea and may be a bad one lol, but if you'd like to use is sooner, you could probably put it in a pillow case, make sure it is securely tied closed and then throw it in the drier. Do this at your own risk and with some common sense like, don't leave your house while it's going, it may be a fire hazard so try at your own risk. But I don't see why it wouldn't work. It will dry it out nice and quick for you and then you can use it again starting with it dry and then ramping up the humidity until you get where you want. Just make sure not to use any thing chemical like softener in the dryer, make sure the pillow case is free of such things too. Well good luck.

It's interesting because I don't consider it saturated at all. The only way you can tell it has some moisture is because the darkened color.

I think i'll skip the pillow case in the dryer...i'm already pushing my luck w/ my wife because of the new snake in the house and a 4 pack of f/t mice in the freezer but I appreciate the creativity! I'm gonna try the punched hole in the tub route.