Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,998

2 members and 2,996 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Of all my pets, the snakes are easiest. I have geckos, a skink, a chameleon, frogs, birds (canaries and budgies), a couple fancy rats, and a cat.

I won't be getting more rats (the odor and cage cleaning)... and when these birds die, I probably won't be getting more either (they are SO messy...I had forgotten how messy when I decided to get them). Same with the frogs... Very cool animals, but a lot of work. The chameleon is also a lot of work and hates me... he even hides when you look at him lol.

All that said, I think I'd be good with just the cat, skink, snakes, and maybe my giant gecko (leachie).
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: why can t all pets be as easy as snakes??

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    Of all my pets, the snakes are easiest. I have geckos, a skink, a chameleon, frogs, birds (canaries and budgies), a couple fancy rats, and a cat.

I won't be getting more rats (the odor and cage cleaning)... and when these birds die, I probably won't be getting more either (they are SO messy...I had forgotten how messy when I decided to get them). Same with the frogs... Very cool animals, but a lot of work. The chameleon is also a lot of work and hates me... he even hides when you look at him lol.

All that said, I think I'd be good with just the cat, skink, snakes, and maybe my giant gecko (leachie).
    I'm in a similar boat. I can see myself adding more snakes, and I know we'll get another cat after Nala goes to cat heaven. However, when the ferrets pass, they will be my last ferrets. I can't see myself adding such high energy, high maintenance animals when I'm in my mid 40s. And when the community tank dies off, I will knock that tank down and I'll keep just the Oscar tank up and running.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 08-24-2017 at 07:26 AM.

Thanks

I too have a small zoo. I have four dogs, two cats, three snakes (soon to be adding 1 or 2 more snakes).

I used to also have several large fish tanks, large turtle tanks. I have since gotten out of the aquatic hobby - way too much work. I had a 120 gallon tank explode on me - that sorta convinced me that keeping fish was just not for me any longer.

Couldn't live without my pets though. They all bring so much happiness into my life.
    L. West
    1.0 CORAL ALBINO BOA (OWEN)
    1.0 PANAMANIAN HYPO BOA (SAWYER)
    1.0 DUMERIL'S BOA (GRAYSON)
    1.0 ALBINO HONDURAN (RIVER)
    0.1 TANGERINE HONDURAN (FAITH)
    1.0 ALBINO TESSERA CORN SNAKE (RILEY)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to L.West For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-24-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by L.West View Post
    I had a 120 gallon tank explode on me.

Ugggghhh, I can imagine the mess. l would go back down to one if it was completely up to me. My girlfriend never had fish before, so she's the reason we got a second. But I'm ready to go back to one, and I do all the work except feeding, she enjoys feeding them.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

L.West (08-24-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I always think I should downsize, but can't imagine re-homing anything, whether it is livestock or pets.

I'm really glad I didn't get any further into parrots than budgies. Needy birds aren't my thing. I may end up building the budgies an outdoor aviary for most of the year. I do like doves, however and will probably add some white ringnecks.

In a perfect world, the rats would be outside too, but I don't think they would be safe nor comfortable outside. The smaller Martin's cage does sit out on the shaded front porch during the day now that it is Summer.

Snakes as pets are under rated.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-24-2017),L.West (08-24-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by L.West View Post
    I too have a small zoo. I have four dogs, two cats, three snakes (soon to be adding 1 or 2 more snakes).

I used to also have several large fish tanks, large turtle tanks. I have since gotten out of the aquatic hobby - way too much work. I had a 120 gallon tank explode on me - that sorta convinced me that keeping fish was just not for me any longer.

Couldn't live without my pets though. They all bring so much happiness into my life.
    Love fish, but I wouldn't have a big tank in the house again unless it was in a room with a floor drain.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

L.West (08-24-2017)

Thanks

My 120 gallon tank was brand new with custom stand and all. It was about 8 months old when it happened. Luckily I had moved it to my unfinished basement prior to this happening. From what I was told the seals were defective and just gave out.

The MFG. was great about it and refunded me every dime I had spent. But, it was enough to make me not want fish any longer. At one time, that tank was in my livingroom - I can't even imagine what damage would have been done upstairs. Lesson learned - no more fish tanks for me.

I had to rush my 14" oscar to a local pet store. That broke my heart to have to give him up but I had no choice at that point. I cried like a baby when I handed him over to the store. I had raised him up from a tiny baby - he was a gorgeous fish.
    L. West
    1.0 CORAL ALBINO BOA (OWEN)
    1.0 PANAMANIAN HYPO BOA (SAWYER)
    1.0 DUMERIL'S BOA (GRAYSON)
    1.0 ALBINO HONDURAN (RIVER)
    0.1 TANGERINE HONDURAN (FAITH)
    1.0 ALBINO TESSERA CORN SNAKE (RILEY)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to L.West For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-24-2017),distaff (08-24-2017)

Thanks

Yeah... I could see myself possibly keeping either mice or rats in a feeder-scenerio in the future IF I could have a dedicated climate controlled shed-type setup. I just don't want to deal with the funk in my house any more. The worst thing is cleaning and then having someone come over and make a comment about it two days later... and mind you that my rats were in a DCN with aspen, horse stall pellets, etc. and had way more space than normally recommended. It's just too much work to get a cage like that clean...practically impossible. I think racks would be easier, but also not the best living conditions. I would only consider doing that if I ever grow my collection and feeder costs are too much.

My budges and canaries entertain themselves... I'd personally never go for a larger / more social parrot.. I've read too many horror stories of mutilation when they don't get enough TLC and I just don't have time for that, or for a dog or ferret.

I also used to keep fish..I was actually a mod on an aquaria forum many ages ago when I was in college and had loads of free time. My thing was planted community tanks. My dream tank would be a discus setup, but even at the peak of my hobby, I never wanted to tackle the water changes necessary. I've had a 10gl tank crack on the bottom and leak out, but that's the worst water leakage issue I've had. What got me out of the hobby, was an epidemic of parasitic worms... I made the mistake of buying some guppies at petsmart. I went though all the standard quarantine procedures, treatments, etc. All looked well until 1 month after I had introduced them into my planted rainbow tank (praecox neon blue dwarfs). Then I saw the red worms sticking out of their vents... It was downhill from there. My rare rainbows, the guppies, and all other inhabitants died despite all of the treatments I tried. It also spread to another tank even though I was not using the same equipment on the tanks. After that, I just put the breaks on my plans.

I will only ever consider getting back into aquariums if I have no mammals and have downsized my reptile collection, which isn't happening any time soon.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

distaff (08-24-2017),L.West (08-24-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dkatz4 View Post
    Jesus Christ, it's day 3 with the new dog. My wife said she'd let me have another snake if we got one. I can see my snakes, chilling out in their enclosures in the corner of the room quiet and content as always, as I shampoo the carpets.
    I like dogs that aren't my dogs. I can handle all kinds of poop - bird poop, reptile poop, rodents, cats - but not dog poop. It almost makes me throw up just being near it. I can't even imagine having to pick it up every day I have massive respect for dog owners though. You might as well be bringing home a toddler.

Cats and snakes are the best. One buries its poop, one only poops about once a week. I get my cuddles from my cat, and my fascination fix from my snakes. I'm pretty introverted and full of anxiety, so the more laid back the animal is, the more I like it. Snakes hide all day, cat sleeps all day, I hide most of the day, we all belong together

Aside from that, as long as I do rehab for wild critters I'll never own anything else. I get all the excitement I'll ever need from the ever-changing, rag-tag, broken animals that I take care of. And taking care of them is pretty cathartic. Once that's something I can't handle anymore (lots of death, kind of eats your soul up) I'm getting a falconry license.

Snakes, falcons and cats, oh my!
    Last edited by KayLynn; 08-24-2017 at 04:04 PM.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KayLynn For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-24-2017),distaff (08-24-2017),dkatz4 (08-24-2017),L.West (08-24-2017)

Thanks
    Can I ask everyone hear what their child situation is? I have a five-year-old and a one-year-old and can tell you with absolute certainty that they are the most difficult pets you can possibly keep and really compound the husbandry and maintenance of all the others
    1.0 Central American BI: Irwin
    0.1 Jungle, het snow BI: Gimel
    1.0 green albino, het granite Burm: Dr. Waffles
    1.0 Betta fish: Convertible
    1.1 cats: Tipitina (Tipi) and Professor Longhair (Fess)
    0.1 Egyptian baladi dog: Toasty

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dkatz4 For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (08-24-2017)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast