Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,062

1 members and 2,061 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran BallPythonWannaBe's Avatar
    Thanks

Adult Corn Questions :/

So...another thread about another snake(I've definitely decided on Corns though,and have moms stamp of approval!). Sorry guys! Last one till D-day,I promise!
    Would a 20gal be okay for the average adult male? Ove read a few different things on Care sheets(Like the minimum is 30gal or they should have a 55gal) Would I need to modify it for Iowa's humidity? I've read the tank sticky and that's what I'm using to set up my 10 gal(By the way I ordered a Jumpstart Hydrofarm thermostat and a Zoo med heat mat! I ordered the 1-5 gal on accident though. Do I need to get a 10-20 gal or would the 5 be alright). Also I have been looking at AP T8 cages for the adults "Life long" cage when it outgrows the 10gal.
    Last edited by BallPythonWannaBe; 08-21-2017 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Spelling :/
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"
    -J.K Rowling Sorcerer's Stone
    Long time no see, back at it again in my white vans.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Corns like to climb so I would do bigger than a 20 at adult size. That uth should be ok to start but go bigger when you change the size as they grow up in tank size.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    my guy is in a 20gal but i know he'd enjoy more room; he definitely loves to roam about and climb. i plan on upgrading within a year or two to something bigger.

what's Iowa's humidity like? Corny does fine around 35-40% with complete sheds, no modifying the mesh-top needed.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (08-21-2017)

Thanks

Re: Adult Corn Questions :/

Well,right now it's 69 percent (the humidity) and ita 3:00pm
    It might have rained last night though,if that makes a difference. I guess I'll just wait till I get my stuff and see how my temps and humidity are and than see what I need to do I was wondering if I should get a heat lamp also,to help with ambient temps? If I understand correctly than a heat mat only works for a hot spot and not air temperature? I'm pretty sure the humidity here will be fine but,again,once I get setup completely I know for sure I ordered my stuff off Amazon and my estimated arrival date was the 25th

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Eventually, your corn will outgrow a 20 gallon, but you'll be fine for a good while. My adult King is in a 40breeder and uses every inch. I'm actually looking into going bigger for him.

And yes, the heat matt is for a hot spot and not ambient temps. So you will need an additional heat source.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Keep researching and studying and you'll be a great keeper

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Eventually, your corn will outgrow a 20 gallon, but you'll be fine for a good while. My adult King is in a 40breeder and uses every inch. I'm actually looking into going bigger for him.

And yes, the heat matt is for a hot spot and not ambient temps. So you will need an additional heat source.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Keep researching and studying and you'll be a great keeper
    Thanks! I just want everything to be perfect for the lil guy or girl I bring home As for a forever home I was thinking of a Ap T8( or T12) with flexwatt,a shelf,and a 8' screen cutout

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BallPythonWannaBe For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-21-2017)

Thanks

I also keep looking for a good DIY Cage thread or something like that and can't find one...
    So I was wondering if you could basically build a wooden box,use Plexiglas's for the front for viewing and make the top and opening screen that a heat lamp would rest on or above? And I can't figure out how you would use belly heat with a cage like this,or if you would even need it? Also if you would need to put something on the inside like tile or linoleum to protect the wood from moisture and snake pees and poos? Just some questions I had,as I thought that might get more of what I want by building my own cage
    Last edited by BallPythonWannaBe; 08-21-2017 at 05:10 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    As a fellow Iowan and past corn snake keeper, I can assure assure you that corns do fine in Iowa humidity.

Check out http://www.habitatsystemsltd.com, the web page for Habitat Systems, Limited, a Des Moines-based reptile cage builder specializing in PVC. I've known Tom Weidner, the owner, for many years. He's a great guy!

Thanks

Thanks! Would something like I posted work? I looked at the link and his cages look great

Thanks

Yay! So...today I got my package from Amazon! My thermostat and my heat mat! It was like Christmas So I set it up and ran into a slight problem. I tried to put the stat probe under the mat between the tank and the mat but the probe was to big and the mat to small causing the edges of the mat to not stick to the bottom of the tank. So I just stuck the mat on and put the probe inside the tank on top of the mat as I read that is the second best thing :/ And now I've been doubting myself on types of snakes and peeking at pictures of cute leopard geckos -_-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast