Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,233

2 members and 3,231 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Again questions.... Dumb questions.

I'm trying to make everything right... but anyways, i've read the sticky about the 20 gallon tank setup but I have a question about that.

Is Aspen bedding actually good for a bp? I mean, people were saying, the aspen bedding is dusty and that can cause Respiratory Infection or something (I can't quite remember) Is that true and if so what bedding should I use?
    Some suggested, I believe, Coco Chips?

And secondly, should I take the background out of my Exo-Terra?
    Like can the BP get stuck behind the background??
    I thought I read up on something like they can get behind the background and possibly get stuck behind it. I mean it looks impossible for them to get behind it so.

But anyways I know I'm posting alot but I wanna make sure everything is PERFECT before I get the ball python and I know I still have to get some stuff but I just wanna make sure.

Anyways, Thank you for putting up with my crap everyone. xD

But literally, thank you for replying and the advice. I really do appreciate all of everyones help.
    Ball Pythons: 0.0.1 Axel/ Leopard Geckos: 1.0 Demyx/ Dogs: 0.1 Butterfly, 0.1 Prissy, 0.1 Shelby 10. Vortex/ Cats: 0.1 Izzie, 0.1 Isabella/ Chicken: 1.0 Big Red

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts

Re: Again questions.... Dumb questions.

Aspen doesn't tend to hold moisture well. I use herptopia, now reptile prime. Dust less coconut husk that holds moisture so well without feeling wet. For the background if you get get your fingers behind it your snake can too. Nothing sticky such as tape goes inside an enclosure.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (08-19-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZuesTheBallPython View Post
    I'm trying to make everything right... but anyways, i've read the sticky about the 20 gallon tank setup but I have a question about that.

Is Aspen bedding actually good for a bp? I mean, people were saying, the aspen bedding is dusty and that can cause Respiratory Infection or something (I can't quite remember) Is that true and if so what bedding should I use?
    Some suggested, I believe, Coco Chips?

And secondly, should I take the background out of my Exo-Terra?
    Like can the BP get stuck behind the background??
    I thought I read up on something like they can get behind the background and possibly get stuck behind it. I mean it looks impossible for them to get behind it so.

But anyways I know I'm posting alot but I wanna make sure everything is PERFECT before I get the ball python and I know I still have to get some stuff but I just wanna make sure.

Anyways, Thank you for putting up with my crap everyone. xD

But literally, thank you for replying and the advice. I really do appreciate all of everyones help.

If you're using a tank, or even if you aren't, eco-earth substrate, coco chips, husk, or orchid bark are usually recommended. They hold moisture better, which helps to keep your humidity up. Aspen is okay but can be a pain in regards to humidity, which is already kind of a pain to manage with a tank.

Cover the sides and back of your tank, it will make your bp feel more secure. When I used tanks back in the day, I used black paper. Do not tape it on the inside of the tank. Tape can cause some really nasty and sometimes fatal injuries to a snake.
    Last edited by KayLynn; 08-19-2017 at 06:41 PM.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KayLynn For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (08-19-2017),buddah4207 (08-19-2017),Craiga 01453 (08-19-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    Aspen doesn't tend to hold moisture well. I use herptopia, now reptile prime. Dust less coconut husk that holds moisture so well without feeling wet. For the background if you get get your fingers behind it your snake can too. Nothing sticky such as tape goes inside an enclosure.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Aspen also gets moldy too, right?

Thank you for your reply and help.
    Ball Pythons: 0.0.1 Axel/ Leopard Geckos: 1.0 Demyx/ Dogs: 0.1 Butterfly, 0.1 Prissy, 0.1 Shelby 10. Vortex/ Cats: 0.1 Izzie, 0.1 Isabella/ Chicken: 1.0 Big Red

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KayLynn View Post
    If you're using a tank, or even if you aren't, eco-earth substrate, coco chips, husk, or orchid bark are usually recommended. They hold moisture better, which helps to keep your humidity up. Aspen is okay but can be a pain in regards to humidity, which is already kind of a pain to manage with a tank.

Cover the sides and back of your tank, it will make your bp feel more secure. When I used tanks back in the day, I used black paper. Do not tape it on the inside of the tank. Tape can cause some really nasty and sometimes fatal injuries to a snake.

Okay, thank you, can i use white paper? Like printer paper? Ans yes I know not to put tape in the tank.

Thank you for your reply and helpfulness.
    Last edited by Axel28; 08-19-2017 at 06:48 PM.

Thanks

Okay, thank you, can i use white paper? Like printer paper? Ans yes I know not to put tape in the tank.

Thank you for your reply and helpfulness.
    Sure, as long as the tank feels closed off and secure. I used black because it looked nice and kept it just a bit darker. The issue is usually the snake can see all the things outside of the glass. If there's a lot of activity going on that can be seen, or the space feels too open it can potentially stress he snake.

They're all about feeling secure and hiding
    Last edited by KayLynn; 08-19-2017 at 06:58 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts

Aspen also gets moldy too, right?

Thank you for your reply and help.
    It can yes.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Again questions.... Dumb questions.

Personally i cant stand aspen !
    Looks horrid , gets all over the house and carpets and doesn't hold moisture PLUS it seems to drain all the colours out of your snake apart from real dark coloured ones like MBKs etc

I absolutely love Orchid bark ( Reptibark in the states?) as it has the exact opposite qualities of the above mentioned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 08-20-2017 at 04:08 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (08-20-2017)