Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,264

1 members and 3,263 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Banned
    Thanks

How often do you handle you snakes?

I often want to take them out and hold them, mostly because they look so cool and I don't get to see them often, as they're generally hiding. I find it difficult to take them from their hide, though. They're all secure and I just uncover them and put them in a stressful(?) situation by handling them.
    What do you think? Are they just not meant to be handled much?

Thanks

Re: How often do you handle you snakes?

I move them to clean and when I do I give them a once-over, take them out for pictures occasionally, and I weigh them all once a month but those are brief moments never more than a few minutes long. As far as legitimate handling, once or twice over the course of two or three weeks, and only certain snakes. A couple of them don't like being handled at all and I don't like forcing them to tolerate me.
    Last edited by KayLynn; 08-19-2017 at 03:16 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    They might not be the best snakes for handling.

Maybe get a colubrid to handle? My cornsnake doesn't seem to mind. Ditto, the Sonoran gopher. The Sonoran started out rather twitchy as a baby, which made ME twitchy. She moved a bit differently anyway, and that took some getting used to. I handle her daily now, although it is over the cage, incase either one of us startles.

I don't own a proper boa, but they always look comfortable draped around people.
    Last edited by distaff; 08-19-2017 at 03:27 PM.

Registered User donnadudette2003's Avatar
    Thanks

Each snake has it's own level of tolerance to how much it wants to be out of its tank.
    Some examples, my eldest girl likes to come out daily and stay out for hours (usually to sleep on my body).
    My youngest doesn't come out of her hide much unless for water, so she just gets a half hour to hour on feeding day once a week. (She was a rescue and is a scaredy snek with anxiety)
    My eldest boy (also a rescue) is blind, I got him from a place and saved him from mites, unluckily I didn't get him before mites ate his eyes. I take him out for an hour or two a week. To bathe, etc. He doesn't seem to mind where he is since he can't see the danger anyways, so he tends to not sit still and just slithers. Its interesting because the blindness has given him a "yolo" attitude instead of a scared one.

Its really dependant on you two and how you mix. If you feel like the snake is healthy and calm, spending time with them is fine. Find a "hide" or comfy spot they like on your body. (Neck, shirt, pocket, sleeve, pant leg, top of head, etc) and just chill.
    Just watch closely for signs of stress or distress and when you see it put them back in their home for rest.
    Good luck learning what your BP likes!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    It really does depend on the animal. Some tolerate more than others and it may just take some time for you to figure out what's best for you and your snake.

I would start with 2 or 3 handling sessions a week for about 10-15 minutes each. Watch your snake's tongue flicks and how he/she breathes, neither should be fast or erratic. Movements should be slow and calculated for the most part.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 08-19-2017 at 04:19 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (08-19-2017)

Thanks

I handle mine about 5min each every other day. And they tolerate it just fine.
    0.1.0 Lemon Blast 2018 CV Exotics
    1.0.0 Kingpin 2018 CV Exotics

Thanks
    I try to take all of mine out 4 days a week (every day except feeding day and the 2 days following). I usually hold each of them for at least 10 minutes or so. Some of them are spoiled and stay out for a lot longer. Personally, I feel like they actually seem to enjoy being out, crawling/climbing around and exploring. I think it's good for them to have that freedom and exercise on a regular basis and it helps establish trust and keeps them tame. I don't feel like it stresses them out at all. A couple of them definitely let me know when they don't feel like being messed with when I go to take them out, so i'll just leave them alone. In those cases, I think it would be stressful for them if I persisted. However, a couple of them seem to just be a bit cage aggressive and they're perfectly fine once they're out. So, it's hard to say... I only have 13 snakes at this time, so it's not too difficult to spend this kind of time with them. My collection will be growing quite a bit, though. So, I can see myself having to divide up the days they come out...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

GpBp (08-21-2017)

Thanks

I handle Reese every saturday, unless i feed friday. I offer Reese a small rat every thursday so i will wait the 48 hours to handle. Same applu if i offer friday, the day of handling change to sunday about 10 mins each handling

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk