Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,113

1 members and 3,112 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Trouble with F/T

My youngest girl I have eating great, however she's not being easy to switch over. She's finally hitting at a f/t , but won't eat. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    have you been offering a different/live prey item when she doesn't eat? also, how are you preparing the f/t feeder?

there was just a post here about a similar topic and one of the suggestions was when you notice a shed cycle coming, do not offer any food until a few days after the shed is complete. once complete, offer the f/t feeder. there's a high chance of success with this method.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-18-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    She was low on weight when I got her so I've spent the last few months solid on live to get her up to size. I've waited a week, tried ft again and if didn't take would do a live. It's now getting her to swallow after the strike.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Trouble with F/T

Quote Originally Posted by chakup View Post
    She was low on weight when I got her so I've spent the last few months solid on live to get her up to size. I've waited a week, tried ft again and if didn't take would do a live. It's now getting her to swallow after the strike.
    when she strikes does she coil and try to "kill" it? also, how do you prepare the f/t feeder?

normally, since she's striking, i'd say to wait her out and stop offering live, but if you say her weight has been an issue i don't think that's an option. like i mentioned above, one method you can try is to wait for a shed cycle and offer when it's complete to see if she'll take.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

chakup (08-18-2017),Craiga 01453 (08-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Make sure the feeder is warm enough. It needs to mimic a live feeder which has a body temp just over a 100F.

I've had good luck with thawing and heating in water.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (08-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    Make sure the feeder is warm enough. It needs to mimic a live feeder which has a body temp just over a 100F.

I've had good luck with thawing and heating in water.
    This^ or warm with a hairdryer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (08-18-2017)

Thanks
    ^^^What Zincubus said!^^^ Zincubus suggested this to me as well when I was having problems. I started using a heat gun to heat up thawed rats and a couple of my snakes that were driving me crazy refusing f/t immediately started eating and have been eating like champs ever since. Not only that, but the smell of rat, which fills the room from blow drying each rat at feeding time seems to send every snake in the room into a ravenous feeding frenzy! If she shows interest, but doesn't take it right away, just keep heating it back up and offering again. Don't give in and give her live...

PS Don't thaw your rats directly in water. Either just let them sit out for a few hours or make sure they are sealed in air-tight zip lock bags, if you're thawing in hot water...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (08-19-2017),Zincubus (08-18-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Rats thaw in fridge, do a short water soak to bring overall temp up and then hit them with hairdryer. Last night was her first actual strike and coil on a ft, she definitely likes her rats hotter temp wise then my others. But after the strike and coil, nothing. First time left her alone and nada. Second strike covered her tank and left for awhile and nothing.
    I'll give it another go in a week.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    ^^^What Zincubus said!^^^ Zincubus suggested this to me as well when I was having problems. I started using a heat gun to heat up thawed rats and a couple of my snakes that were driving me crazy refusing f/t immediately started eating and have been eating like champs ever since. Not only that, but the smell of rat, which fills the room from blow drying each rat at feeding time seems to send every snake in the room into a ravenous feeding frenzy! If she shows interest, but doesn't take it right away, just keep heating it back up and offering again. Don't give in and give her live...

PS Don't thaw your rats directly in water. Either just let them sit out for a few hours or make sure they are sealed in air-tight zip lock bags, if you're thawing in hot water...
    Thats true about the hairdryer sending the rodent smells around the room - I'm surrounded by vivs so on feeding night the Burm / Boas / Retic and Kings are all pacing their vivs

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (08-18-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Thats true about the hairdryer sending the rodent smells around the room - I'm surrounded by vivs so on feeding night the Burm / Boas / Retic and Kings are all pacing their vivs

Since I started doing this, I can't even walk past the rack that one of my Boas is in or he is striking at the front of his tub and when it's his turn to eat I can't even get his tub open, because he is charging right out like a Black Head or Retic! lol

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (08-18-2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast