Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,351

2 members and 3,349 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question about CHE temps

Hey everyone,

I think I pretty much have my entire setup dialed in and good to go, but I just realized I need some way to regulate the temperature of the CHE that I am gonna use as a secondary ambient air heater, right?

It's gonna be a 100w CHE bulb, placed in the middle of the screen top, but that left unregulated would make the temps too high right? The terraium is 33 gallons or so.

Anyone have any good suggestions for something budget friendly to regulate the CHE? I was looking at this off Amazon, but it has a probe so where would the probe be placed if used with a CHE?

Zilla Reptile Terrarium Heat & Habitat Lighting Temp. Controller, 500W

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018CLYNG..._JQGLzbW3QSV2H

Thanks for any help, guys and sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Question about CHE temps

good to hear things are going more smoothly!!!

personally, i just use a rheostat for my CHE. you can buy a lamp dimmer (which is a rheostat) at any home improvement store for like $15. however, rheostats work best in a room with a stable temp, so keep that in mind.

the one you linked will be perfect tho! i just figured i'd try to save you some $$$ and kept in mind how you didn't want to shop online.

you're SOOOO close to bringing your noodle home!!!
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (08-17-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    good to hear things are going more smoothly!!!

personally, i just use a rheostat for my CHE. you can buy a lamp dimmer (which is a rheostat) at any home improvement store for like $15. however, rheostats work best in a room with a stable temp, so keep that in mind.

the one you linked will be perfect tho! i just figured i'd try to save you some $$$ and kept in mind how you didn't want to shop online.

you're SOOOO close to bringing your noodle home!!!
    Thanks!! I know I'm excited I think I have it good. I did buy a lamp dimmer already so I have one but I read those don't work with CHE bulbs... Is that not true?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin8998 View Post
    Thanks!! I know I'm excited I think I have it good. I did buy a lamp dimmer already so I have one but I read those don't work with CHE bulbs... Is that not true?
    they do! i use a rheostat for mine and it works well, but again they work best in a room with a stable temp as they do not adjust to a probe reading; they adjust by regulating power output. you set the dial to adjust power output, and that does not change since the rheostat doesn't have a probe to read temps. the one you linked is kind of a thermostat/rheostat combo, and that is definitely better than a $15 dimmer!

i don't have any experience with the thermostat you linked; maybe someone else can chime in that had experience. i do have experiences with rheostats and they work well if you take the time to understand how they work.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 08-17-2017 at 10:09 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Everbluh (08-18-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    they do! i use a rheostat for mine and it works well, but again they work best in a room with a stable temp as they do not adjust to a probe reading; they adjust by regulating power output. you set the dial to adjust power output, and that does not change since the rheostat doesn't have a probe to read temps. the one you linked is kind of a thermostat/rheostat combo, and that is definitely better than a $15 dimmer!

i don't have any experience with the thermostat you linked; maybe someone else can chime in that had experience. i do have experiences with rheostats and they work well if you take the time to understand how they work.
    Interesting so the dimmer would work with that bulb? I guess I could just try that but I worry it wouldn't work. Honestly I don't know anything about rheostats lol. I'd rather use something like I linked or a dimmer if that works.

But the one I linked does have a probe so if I do use that where would the probe go? How would it regulate the bulb temp?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin8998 View Post
    Interesting so the dimmer would work with that bulb? I guess I could just try that but I worry it wouldn't work. Honestly I don't know anything about rheostats lol. I'd rather use something like I linked or a dimmer if that works.

But the one I linked does have a probe so if I do use that where would the probe go? How would it regulate the bulb temp?

please use the one you linked! i just wanted to provide another option but what you chose is definitely better! go for it!!!

with the probe: place it a few inches above the substrate, like two or three inches. you'll still need to monitor and play with the thermostat for a day or so until you're happy with the temps and understand the device.

go ahead and get that thermostat!
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

So a few inches above as in tape it to the wall? I don't wanna place tape inside the enclosure so idk where that would go that the snake wouldn't mess with.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    I have a dimmer for my CHE. Took it from 115 down to my 90 needed.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    No tape inside!! Use this:
    [IMG][/IMG]

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RickyNY For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (08-17-2017),tttaylorrr (08-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    Everyone else said all the useful stuff, so I'll just cheer for you and say omg! So excited for you! Good luck with everything and can't wait to see your new little beep! When is snake day for you?
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast