Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,455

1 members and 3,454 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Active Out of Tank?

So my ball python is very active when he is out of his tank. Always moving around and checking everything out.

Im just wondering is that normal or a sign of stress?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    "active" and "ball python" don't really go together. active usually means stressed. i'm assuming you haven't had the snake long, yeah? a new addition being stressed during handling is normal. he's probably just not used to you or being handled yet. give him some time and work with him, he'll mellow out.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-17-2017),Keiraffe (08-17-2017)

Registered User donnadudette2003's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Active Out of Tank?

It can be normal depending on the snake. My big girl kawaii will "play" for an hour or more now before resting. Meaning sneksploring and going to all of the places in the house she knows she hasn't been or shouldn't be.
    She used to take naps every like 10-30 mins like the rest of the ball pythons. Now I have to wear her out before I get worn out.
    **edit I should mention she needs exercise often and on days I don't get her out of her tank for playing on the "mom jungle gym" I've seen her spend 3 hours going from one side of her Viv to the other. Back and forth. Over and over. Until she wears herself out.
    Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by donnadudette2003; 08-17-2017 at 03:25 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donnadudette2003 For This Useful Post:

GpBp (08-23-2017),Kit (08-17-2017)

Thanks
    My snake is active all the time when I get her out tolo, as long as he is eating normal, not losing weight, and does not have any other odd symptomes, I think he will be ok.
    ~Kit

Female Pastel Ball Python "Bumblebee"

Sorry for any typos

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by donnadudette2003 View Post
    It can be normal depending on the snake. My big girl kawaii will "play" for an hour or more now before resting. Meaning sneksploring and going to all of the places in the house she knows she hasn't been or shouldn't be.
    She used to take naps every like 10-30 mins like the rest of the ball pythons. Now I have to wear her out before I get worn out.
    **edit I should mention she needs exercise often and on days I don't get her out of her tank for playing on the "mom jungle gym" I've seen her spend 3 hours going from one side of her Viv to the other. Back and forth. Over and over. Until she wears herself out.
    Why are you tiring your snake out or what makes you think she needs exercise often? You're talking as if she's a dog. This honestly sounds like you're going out of your way to stress your snake out and applying dog/cat characteristics to her.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

chickenooget (08-18-2017),Craiga 01453 (08-17-2017),redshepherd (08-17-2017),zina10 (08-18-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    Why are you tiring your snake out or what makes you think she needs exercise often? You're talking as if she's a dog. This honestly sounds like you're going out of your way to stress your snake out and applying dog/cat characteristics to her.
    i kind of agree here; that seems odd. not trying to criticize you OP, just curious. the only time Yellow gets active out of his enclosure is when he's had enough and wants to go back. if he's ever overly active i put him back right away and let him be. i've never heard of "tiring a snake out."
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 08-17-2017 at 03:43 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-17-2017),MissterDog (08-17-2017)

Registered User donnadudette2003's Avatar
    Thanks

I tire her out because I don't want to chase her around. I let her out of the Viv because she is trying to get out. (Pushing on the top going from side to side to find the exit. Etc) It's like I like letting my pet be out and have a life. On top of needing to have one myself. I don't NEED to wear her out. I prefer to. If she wants to stay in the tank, I'll let her stay in the tank. If she wants to chill when she's outside of it, i'll let her chill. She chooses, I just help

---
    I should mention I have other ball pythons that are perfectly happy being snakes in a ball sleeping in a hide and that I don't think every ball will be active. I'm only saying that some balls are active, and we just need to learn to work with what they like.
    Last edited by donnadudette2003; 08-17-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

I tire her out because I don't want to chase her around. I let her out of the Viv because she is trying to get out. (Pushing on the top going from side to side to find the exit. Etc) It's like I like letting my pet be out and have a life. On top of needing to have one myself. I don't NEED to wear her out. I prefer to. If she wants to stay in the tank, I'll let her stay in the tank. If she wants to chill when she's outside of it, i'll let her chill. She chooses, I just help

---
    I should mention I have other ball pythons that are perfectly happy being snakes in a ball sleeping in a hide and that I don't think every ball will be active. I'm only saying that some balls are active, and we just need to learn to work with what they like.
    ...I'm sorry to say that's a clear cut sign your husbandry is off and the reason she's trying to escape is because she's stressed. Not because she wants to go for a walk in the park. Snakes do not = dogs.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

chickenooget (08-18-2017),Craiga 01453 (08-17-2017),KayLynn (08-17-2017),Kira (08-17-2017),redshepherd (08-17-2017),Sunnieskys (08-17-2017),tttaylorrr (08-17-2017),zina10 (08-18-2017)

Thanks

---
    that makes sense, though are you sure your husbandry is on point? Spaghetti likes to pace at night, but that's usually around feeding day. she's definitely more active than Yellow; i barely ever see him out.

also, sorry to the OG OP
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 08-17-2017 at 04:01 PM. Reason: husbandry
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

15. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-17-2017)

Thanks

...I'm sorry to say that's a clear cut sign your husbandry is off and the reason she's trying to escape is because she's stressed. Not because she wants to go for a walk in the park. Snakes do not = dogs.
    it could also be a sign of hunger as well. Spaghetti always paces a day or so before feeding day, but she doesn't try to escape.

she does this because she knows where the food comes from (this is also an old picture; much more clutter in the enclosure now):
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 08-17-2017 at 04:05 PM.
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast