Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,188

2 members and 3,186 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: New Ball Python Owner - Issues with Temperature

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    are you using a thermoSTAT or a thermoMETER to measure the UTH?? they are VERY different.

if it's a thermoMETER: you NEED to regulate the UTH with a thermoSTAT

if it's a thermoSTAT: the probe should not be in the enclosure where the snake can urinate/poop on it, push it around and cause a temperature spike or drop. the thermostat probe should be sandwiched between the UTH and the outside bottom of the enclosure.
    It is a thermostat, I'm sorry for the confusion. Hmm I see, I did not know it's supposed to be outside the glass in between the UTH, I'm gonna have to fix that today. Thank you for the info.

The thing is my thermometers do NOT have a probe to them nor can I find one for sale that does have a probe. So is it possible for me to use thermometers for inside the tank without a probe? I don't want to spend 100+ on one with a probe.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    Kevin, please read the link I posted. It will help you a lot, if you still have questions after that we'll help you.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin8998 View Post
    So if I buy that thermometer you linked, do I buy two one for each side and also where do I place it? Just on top of the substrate against the back? Sorry if these questions sound dumb, I'm very new to this.

Also okay I see about the CHE, I was looking to buy one of those yesterday but the pet store I was at didn't seem to carry any, but it's the same as a dome right in that it takes bulbs too, but it's labeled ceramic instead? I'll try and see if I can find that today. I would prefer to not buy stuff online at this point I'm trying to get everything right as fast as possible.

The thermostat is a "Jump start" one I got off amazon.
    It is a thermostat, I'm sorry for the confusion. Hmm I see, I did not know it's supposed to be outside the glass in between the UTH, I'm gonna have to fix that today. Thank you for the info.

The thing is my thermometers do NOT have a probe to them nor can I find one for sale that does have a probe. So is it possible for me to use thermometers for inside the tank without a probe? I don't want to spend 100+ on one with a probe.
    i only use one per enclosure. yes, just set it inside. the only dumb question is the one you don't ask!

a CHE is a ceramic bulb. the dome is separate, but needs a ceramic socket. a regular dome doesn't have the correct socket for the CHE. just make sure the dome has a ceramic socket.

that's a good thermostat, but one that should be considered a temporary solution until you can save up for your forever thermostat Herpstat. yes Herpstat is pricey but they're the best thermostats on the market and this forum can't recommend them enough. you can use the Jumpstart for a couple years but they have been known to fail wide open (ON full-blast).

yes you can use a thermometer without a probe, but you'll need some way of monitoring the enclosure floor. here's a cheap thermometer with a probe that i use. or you can get an IR temp gun.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

Thanks
    Haha taylor, you're too fast! You beat me in every post.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RickyNY View Post
    Haha taylor, you're too fast! You beat me in every post.
    they don't call me the Keyboard Ninja for nothin'
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-16-2017),RickyNY (08-16-2017)

Thanks

Ricky and Taylor, thank you very much for the info.

I read through that post a few times, but I still have a couple questions.

So today I will take apart my tank and start over by putting the probe for the UTH thermostat outside the tank. Then I will order the thermometer you guys linked off amazon so I can have one with the probe. But according to the guide at the end when he's talking about measuring the temps he refers to knowing both sides temps but on the instructions he's only using one probe that he puts on the hot side above the UTH under the substrate... How am I supposed to know what the other temps are in the tank like on the cold side that is supposed to be 80ish?

Do I need two one for each side or no?

Thanks

Ricky and Taylor, thank you very much for the info.

I read through that post a few times, but I still have a couple questions.

So today I will take apart my tank and start over by putting the probe for the UTH thermostat outside the tank. Then I will order the thermometer you guys linked off amazon so I can have one with the probe. But according to the guide at the end when he's talking about measuring the temps he refers to knowing both sides temps but on the instructions he's only using one probe that he puts on the hot side above the UTH under the substrate... How am I supposed to know what the other temps are in the tank like on the cold side that is supposed to be 80ish?

Do I need two one for each side or no?
    you're very welcome.

you can get those AcuRite thermometer/hygrometers at walmart, too. FYI. just not the probed one.

you can use the thermo/hygrometer we're talking about on the cool side to measure those temps. you can also use an IR temp gun to measure temp all over the enclosure. the probed thermometer goes inside over the UTH. that's all sides covered, right?

ALSO, if your UTH is one of those adhesive ones: be VERY, VERY carful about removing it. only peel back enough to get the probe as close to the middle as you can. then i'd recommend you use aluminum tape to adhere the UTH back on the enclosure.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 08-16-2017 at 01:51 PM.
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    As usual, tttaylorrr has it under control, and one of our newer members, RickyNY has jumped right in with quality advice as well.

My suggestion basically is a "ditto" to what has already been said. Study the stickies on basic husbandry and how to set up enclosures.

I understand you want to get this done asap, but waiting to bring the snake home will DEFINITELY be in the best interest of you AND the animal.

Getting your setup all dialed in will save you a LOT of potential headaches, as well as provide a safe, healthy environment for the animal. Granted the excitement is intense when getting a new pet, this is a pet that will live for 30+ years, so waiting another week would be best in the long run.

Thanks
    Yes, you need 2. You can have 2 with probes or 1 with probe and the other without. I have the one with probe over the glass right above the uth. On the cool side I have one without a probe, it just seats on top of the substrate and it measures ambient temperature. I found out with a temp gun that the cool side always matches the ambient temp. I only worry about the temperature on top of the uth, because you can burn your snake. Mine reads 90f with the thermometer probe and 92 with the temp gun (that's right on the glass, not the aspen I use) If I read the temp on top of my aspen with the temp gun it read 86f... and I'm not worried about this temp, I know underneath this is 92f. My snake can burrow to reach warmer temps if she wants to.
    But Kevin, you don't want the glass at the bottom reading 108f, just so your temp on top of your forest floor read 90f...this is a mistake. Your snake will burrow and touch the glass that's 108f and burn itself.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast