Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,134

2 members and 3,132 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    Again. this comes down to what you want in your new snake.

Blood or short tailed pythons are not a big departure from royals. They just aren't when it comes to natural behaviors.

Size is not a huge consideration between the two. While the blood/shorts are very thickset, actually one of the most thickset pythons there is when length is considered, that does not make them more dense or heavy compared to an equally long boa constrictor.

Boas are one of the most dense snakes out there. It explains why anacondas which are in the boa family but not boa constrictors, are the heaviest snakes on the planet.

Though they may be extremely dense and strong, pound for pound and inch for inch, they are quite agile and VERY different from completely terrestrial snakes.

Again, no knock on bloods/shorties (I want one someday) they just don't naturally perform the same behaviors boas do.

I see this almost nightly or every morning.

Its hard to explain the excitement. Snakes are not active pets compared to most but seeing activity like this, at least for me is rather exhilarating.

He's actually a fairly busy reptile in the evening, night or early morning.

Would I enjoy a blood or STP? You bet! They are beautiful and interesting to me more so than royals.

But if you are looking for something that behaves differently and looks unique compared to your current selection of royals, you should consider a boa constrictor.

That said, if you are not able to or willing to set up the snake (boa constrictor) to display natural, wild behaviors like climbing and perching, it may not show much more variation in behavior than what you have with your current animals.

I'd like to see you get something you want, but I also would like to see you allow whatever species you end up with to be presented with options to display some natural behaviors.

If caring for and maintaining a blood/shortie is easier go for it.

If you are willing to provide a little cage height for a boa constrictor, you will be rewarded. Keep in mind, the smaller island variants are typically more arboreal, and require less all around space on the floor. I think a 4' x 2' x 2' cage for a Central American BC would be a remarkable display.
    If you like activity, this is typical boa constrictor out of cage behavior.

I highly doubt you'll see a blood or shortie doing this.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    To sum it up. Research both species for their needs and see which one you can meet better. Also it comes down to which one YOU like more. I mean personally, I really dont care for blood pythons. They just look like a oversized less morph version of a BP. Now if you listened to me, you would have a boa but again, that is MY opinion.

The only person who can answer your question is you really since it will be your snake for years to come.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    Like I said a couple of times already, it is what you want, but for you to decide I feel it is helpful to give you some of the contrasting characteristics of other snakes. Bloods and balls share a lot of the same terrestrial habits. If that's what you want, it is a no brainer for a STP or blood.

Another snake I didn't even delve into that I would recommend is the he carpet python!

Lengthwise they are similar to boas, some are longer but almost all are far less girthy and heavy which is true of most snakes of equal length when compared to boa constrictors.

Boas are dense and muscular and impressive.

Carpets are typically more arboreal and a bit more active, but again a properly fed boa is rather active.

I have a coastal capet python mutt.

I don't want to confuse you further LOL!

These semi arboreal snakes are definitely fun.

Both boas and carpets are easy second snakes. I also have a SD x Dwarf retic but I don't necessarily think they are for everybody.

I think royals, boas and carpets are very good snakes to keep. Bloods seem quite easy as well and probably only require some minimal husbandry adjustments that differ from your royals. I think their setup is pretty easy as well. No need for much more than ground decor. As far as bites, most young snakes will have some defensive biting behavior. I've been bitten by every snake here sans the royal.

What do your really want and what type of setup are you willing to provide?

Having some fun with caging is enjoyable too. For me personally it is almost as fun as getting a snake.

Thanks

Re: Can't Decide - Need Help - Boa or Sumatran Short Tail Python

I trust handling them. I have about 65ish short tails and only 1 is nervous. Not aggressive or defensive but nervous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goode05 For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (08-19-2017),Gio (08-20-2017),Squirtle44 (08-20-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Squirtle44 View Post
    Do you know of any short tail python specific forums - I can't seem to find any.
    I know there is another forum (I actually posted on it a while back when I was looking into bloods) but I can't find it at the moment... Not sure if it is still up.

Here is a link to the Blood Cell's forum (they are a well-respected breeder). I don't know how highly trafficked it is.

You can find bloods with good temperaments.. Honestly, I think it comes down to which snake you like the looks and activity level of the most. I was looking into blood pythons myself, but don't have the room right now. I think they are very much like Kenyan sand boas... look great, not super active, and prefer to be on a solid surface (don't climb). Thus, they will lay on you, sit on your lap, etc. but not a good choice to have "hanging" on you while moving around like a boa. At least, that is what keepers / breeders told me. If they feel like they might fall, then you aren't going to have a happy STP. It was also recommended that I go with a CBB Borneo as my first because they tend to be mellower (as a whole), but I'm not sure how accurate that info is.

Good luck figuring out which snake to go with!

Goode05- I love that Borneo!
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I think a lot of it comes down to personal preference. Either would be a good choice. I started with ball pythons years ago, have a big pair of Dumerils (both adoptions), but mostly work with bloods and short tails. I like the boas, but the bloods fit better with my preferences and space. I love the variations in bloods, even within normals. In comparison with balls, bloods and short tails, while still not super active, are very very aware and have much more personality. They are always watching you. Sumatran short tails are generally calmer and easier than bloods, and don't get quite so big. They comfortably fit as adults in 2x4 cages, while some boas would outgrow that and I'd prefer to give snakes that climb the space to do so.

The Blood Cell's forum hasn't really been active. There's a lot of good info to find on there, though. The facebook link posted above is the group Kara runs as well.
    Last edited by aahmn; 08-19-2017 at 01:37 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    I trust handling them. I have about 65ish short tails and only 1 is nervous. Not aggressive or defensive but nervous
    Holy fatness, Batman! 65-ish? lol Are you running a Richard Simmons boot camp for fat snakes over there or what? lol But, seriously, though... That's awesome! I wish we lived close, so I could come and see all of them! Are you serious, though? Not even one bad attitude among all of those snakes? Were any of them ever even moody or have bad attitudes periodically at any stage of growth? If so, how long would it last and at what stage did they completely tame out? Have you ever noticed if your males tend to be a little more moody than the females? I'm just really curious, because my male Borneo and my Male Sumatran were both previously just as sweet as can be, but both recently started acting cookoo for some reason and there has also been a couple of episodes with my male Matrix. Are you housing all of your adults in 4' x 2' and 6' x 2' enclosures?

Thanks

The one was more nervous when she was smaller. The seem to hatch out pretty defensive but mellow out a lot at around two months of age. None were that bad as youngsters. Outside of fresh hatchlings I'd bet I haven't been bitten in a few years. They are a really easy species to read. You just have to go out them smooth n steady with confidence
    I keep all my adult females in ve 175 Xmas tree tubs and males in cb 110s

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Goode05 For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (08-21-2017)

Thanks

She's around 20lbs to give you some size reference

Thanks
    OP,

Are you looking for strictly a size increase or something the acts and behaves differently?

I love that people are showing off the beautiful bloods and shorties. I would probably enjoy one in my collection, however if you are looking for size and something much different from your royal, the boa is the snake to go with.

If you want similar behavior in the cage and out and are just looking for some size, the blood or shortie is the way to go.

You will not see this type of feeding behavior from royals and bloods/shorties.

If you decide to go the boa constrictor route, and are hoping for some activity, the setup is important.

Again, a larger version and IMO, a more colorful and impressive type of snake than what you already have is a shortie.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast