Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,994

3 members and 2,991 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Opaque eyecap?

BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks

Opaque eyecap?

My 2 year old female blood python recently recovered from an RI. In the process, she was shedding, and I kept the humidity lower than normal as I thought it might help. (I was probably wrong though. She got her RI from flooding her enclosure with urine and faeces while I was away for a few days. I know, not optimal.) Anyway, a few vet visits later and over $100 in antibiotic treatment and she's recovered. However, speaking of the shed, it wasn't perfect and came off in pieces. I believe she may have a stuck eyecaps on one or both of her eyes initially but I'm just puzzled at this point. One of her eyes is completely cloudy while the other is much more transparent. I got a picture of the cloudy eye, however, I could not photograph her more clear eye before she could be stressed out to much. (I'll get a pic of it later after she's had some time to relax. It's not crystal clear either, just barely a tad grayish, or what I'm more familiar with being a stuck eyecap.)
    So for anyone more versed in pythons, does this look like a stuck eyecap? Or it possible the scale itself could have torn somewhere and become infected?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Opaque eyecap?

Hi,

I'd be tempted to ask a good herp vet to look at that eye if I'm honest - seems too pearly to just be a stuck eye cap.
    Last edited by dr del; 08-16-2017 at 05:08 PM.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    Sorry about your girl buddy, hope that eye gets back to normal soon.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del ❤️ View Post
    Hi,

I'd be tempted to ask a good herp vet to look at that eye if I'm honest - seems too pearly to just be a stuck eye cap.
    Agreed. If it's an infection, they have to cut a window in the eyecap to drain it and get topical meds in.

Thanks
    Little update, completely cleared up. I dunno if it may have been a minor result of the antibiotics, but it's gone now. She appears to have nothing more than a single lair of stuck shed on her eyes right now, but as much as I'm tempted to interfere directly with q-tips/rubber thumbs, I'm going to just wait until her next shed and let it peel off naturally. I'll be sure to get pics when she's back to looking like her pretty self.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebonnet Herp For This Useful Post:

dr del (11-25-2017)

Thanks
    I'm glad to here that your girl is better now. I'm just curious why you would lower the humidity while she was shedding, though? That is when you normally want to increase the humidity. Maybe i'm just misunderstanding something...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    I'm glad to here that your girl is better now. I'm just curious why you would lower the humidity while she was shedding, though? That is when you normally want to increase the humidity. Maybe i'm just misunderstanding something...
    She had a nasty RI at the time of the shed. Considering humidity's association with bacterial growth, I did not want to risk worsening the infection. I would rather a bad shed than her dying from the pneumonia.