Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,290

2 members and 3,288 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Aggressive ball python

I am currently having issues with this too. My Smaug has been very docile and doesn't mind being handled. We have had him for 5 months, he was given to us by a friend so we are not sure exactly how old he is. He weighs 566 grams/24 ounces. His husbandry is good. I have done the research on that. Just the last few days he has been super aggressive. We fed him last night, so he shouldn't be hungry. Any ideas on what is going on??

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It can be stress due to husbandry issue, over handling, it can be food related, hard to tell without details on husbandry, routine, prey size and frequency.
    Deborah Stewart

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    He may be underfed and still hungry. In order to help can you give us more info? The more we know the more we can help.

Prey type and size? Feeding schedule?

Enclosure type and size?

How are you heating the enclosure? Are your heat sources on thermostats?

What are you offering for hides? Clutter, etc...?

Thanks

Re: Aggressive ball python

I have this problem too. Please help. My bp is 9 years old (we have had him for 3 months) and weighs around 1400 grams. Lately he's became defensive and acting weird like peeing in his hide, not hiding completely by lying his head and his first half body outside. Two days ago he was also halfways outside as i wanted to clean his terra, he was in striking position so i covered my with a shovel and he did stiked at the shovel.

Prey type and size? = a rat between 200-210 grams Feeding schedule? = every 2 weeks

Enclosure type and size? wood terrarium 100x50x50 (standard size used in Germany)

How are you heating the enclosure? heatpanel Are your heat sources on thermostats? no manually

What are you offering for hides? ann exoterra for the warm side, a paper box on the cool side and a piece of wood with an openning above it, some artificial ivys for deco

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Peeing in the hide and being halfway out of the hide is nothing unusual at all. Either a confident, hungry or curious snake.

Sometimes they go through periods where they are far more hungry then usual. Right now, after the breeding season, my male is RAVENOUS. If I so much as open his tub, and its afternoon/evening, he is locked and loaded and ready to strike at the smallest movement. If I actually do try to feed him, I have to dodge him flying out of the tub, grabbing that rat mid-air.

Nice Adrenalin rush, LOL.

That doesn't just happen after the breeding fast, either. Sometimes they just seem to be more hungry. I have a younger one that will act that way right after being fed and even next day!! And she gets PLENTY of food.

Do they act that way in the afternoon/evening or any time of day ? Try feeding more often just to see if that is what they want. Just remember, there comes a time they may not want food as often again. That is why I do not adhere to a "strict" schedule. Some months they want more, then less. If there is a shed coming on, I may skip a feeding or feed a few days later, etc. I have gotten to know my snakes well, though, and know what works for them.

I do not mess around with them while they are in "hunting" mode. Usually happens late evening and you can tell by their body language. Now, If I HAVE to take them out or do maintenance, I just simply let them know its not feeding time. You can take a empty paper towel roll and just lightly touch the top of their head and lightly push down. It snaps them out of it. Or you can spritz them lightly with a misting bottle (water).

Remember, I said LIGHTLY. This is not meant to be a punishing or offensive treatment. Its more a "snap out of this" thing, a distraction of sort. Once they realize no food is coming I can lift them out and do whatever I need to do.

As always, move confident around them, not flighty or nervous.

If it is actual aggression, if they refuse food and keep acting naughty, there is a great video on "how to handle aggressive Ball Pythons" by Justin Kobylka. You can search for it on youtube. Before you attempt his ideas, though, please make sure this isn't actually just "hunger/hunting". Because with a Ball Python you WANT to have the ones that eat well, and you do not want to make them shy and defensive. So rule everything else out, first.

And it goes without saying , first make sure husbandry is absolutely "spot on" and that you do not over handle or stress out the snake in other ways.
    Last edited by zina10; 08-25-2017 at 04:45 PM.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

arianauchiha2017 (08-25-2017),cattleya0507 (08-26-2017),ckuhn003 (08-25-2017),Craiga 01453 (08-29-2017),L.West (08-29-2017),RickyNY (08-29-2017),Sunnieskys (08-25-2017)

Thanks

@zina10 thanks for the information! i think i bp is the confident plus curious type. Kahlua is now for 3 days back to normal after pooping =\ lol Now he stays in his hide all the time, peeking his head out sometimes and comes out roaming around at night.
    I wonder if uncomfortability of having to poop could cause him to be so moody a few days ago. But it seems so.. lol I haven't held him yet though

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cattleya0507 For This Useful Post:

L.West (08-29-2017),zina10 (08-29-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    Peeing in the hide and being halfway out of the hide is nothing unusual at all. Either a confident, hungry or curious snake.

Sometimes they go through periods where they are far more hungry then usual. Right now, after the breeding season, my male is RAVENOUS. If I so much as open his tub, and its afternoon/evening, he is locked and loaded and ready to strike at the smallest movement. If I actually do try to feed him, I have to dodge him flying out of the tub, grabbing that rat mid-air.

Nice Adrenalin rush, LOL.

That doesn't just happen after the breeding fast, either. Sometimes they just seem to be more hungry. I have a younger one that will act that way right after being fed and even next day!! And she gets PLENTY of food.

Do they act that way in the afternoon/evening or any time of day ? Try feeding more often just to see if that is what they want. Just remember, there comes a time they may not want food as often again. That is why I do not adhere to a "strict" schedule. Some months they want more, then less. If there is a shed coming on, I may skip a feeding or feed a few days later, etc. I have gotten to know my snakes well, though, and know what works for them.

I do not mess around with them while they are in "hunting" mode. Usually happens late evening and you can tell by their body language. Now, If I HAVE to take them out or do maintenance, I just simply let them know its not feeding time. You can take a empty paper towel roll and just lightly touch the top of their head and lightly push down. It snaps them out of it. Or you can spritz them lightly with a misting bottle (water).

Remember, I said LIGHTLY. This is not meant to be a punishing or offensive treatment. Its more a "snap out of this" thing, a distraction of sort. Once they realize no food is coming I can lift them out and do whatever I need to do.

As always, move confident around them, not flighty or nervous.

If it is actual aggression, if they refuse food and keep acting naughty, there is a great video on "how to handle aggressive Ball Pythons" by Justin Kobylka. You can search for it on youtube. Before you attempt his ideas, though, please make sure this isn't actually just "hunger/hunting". Because with a Ball Python you WANT to have the ones that eat well, and you do not want to make them shy and defensive. So rule everything else out, first.

And it goes without saying , first make sure husbandry is absolutely "spot on" and that you do not over handle or stress out the snake in other ways.
    This is one of the best post I've ever read! Thank you Zina.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RickyNY For This Useful Post:

zina10 (08-29-2017)