Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,030

4 members and 3,026 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Substrate/Humidity Issues (Glass Tank) (99%) - New BP Owner

Quote Originally Posted by iddah View Post
    Thanks!!! Yeah, I read they like to feel "tight" and enclosed in their hides, from the sides and above, I literally /just/ got these two black XS hide boxes in the mail earlier today, should I switch them out? The light green RepTech hides placed in the tank rn are medium size.

My baby might feel more secure/snug in those?

Lol this is going to be my 3rd tattoo, I became so obsessed after I got my first one, so I'm excited to get this ink done. Still looking forward to also getting a snake tattoo on my neck/behind my ear, and both my forearms.

Those hides will probably be perfect. I'm not all that familiar with those particular hides, but believe the new ones will be perfect.

I've got 18 or 19 tattoos now, hahahaha, would have more if I wasn't a moron with my spending for so many years, hahhahaha.
    I'm working on snake skin tattoos that will appear to be under my skin. I've seen the tattoos that look like bio-mechanical inner workings under the skin, as well as the muscle and tissue, etc... under the skin. I want to have snake skin under my skin. I'm thinking a BP on one forearm/wrist/hand and California Kingsnake on the other side.
    Now that I've fallen in love with hognose, might have to factor that in somewhere too . Maybe my inner bicep where I still have some blank skin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Those hides will probably be perfect. I'm not all that familiar with those particular hides, but believe the new ones will be perfect.

I've got 18 or 19 tattoos now, hahahaha, would have more if I wasn't a moron with my spending for so many years, hahhahaha.
    I'm working on snake skin tattoos that will appear to be under my skin. I've seen the tattoos that look like bio-mechanical inner workings under the skin, as well as the muscle and tissue, etc... under the skin. I want to have snake skin under my skin. I'm thinking a BP on one forearm/wrist/hand and California Kingsnake on the other side.
    Now that I've fallen in love with hognose, might have to factor that in somewhere too . Maybe my inner bicep where I still have some blank skin
    I hope the XS won't be too snug, I would have gotten them in small size but they were all out, and I also wish I'd gotten the RepTech ones in black intead of green. Aesthetics lol. I'm really just aiming for a functional setup with husbandry on point, I'm sooo relieved the humidity issue went away after changing substrates. I'm still gonna dry out the cypress mulch and put in in a storage box, at least I won't run out of substrate right away, altho rn I'm loving the Coco Terrain/Jungle Earth combo. If XS is too tight for my boy, I'll just crumple up a few paper towels and put them inside each hide, thanks so much for that tip.

Omg you're way ahead of me in ink, I have to catch up lol. I'm getting some ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs done on my inner forearm, the one after that will be the snake tattoo on my neck, I just figured since my financial situation actually allows me to get tattoos done now, I should go ahead and do it while I can lol. That idea is so cool though, that ink would look sick. I want at least two snake tattoos (one on my neck/behind ear, one on my wrist), I've always loved snakes even long before I was able to buy one, I've been wanting a bp for the past 3 years, so hyped and excited to /finally/ pick him up from the breeder tmrw, she only lives like 10 minutes from where I live.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iddah View Post
    I hope the XS won't be too snug, I would have gotten them in small size but they were all out, and I also wish I'd gotten the RepTech ones in black intead of green. Aesthetics lol. I'm really just aiming for a functional setup with husbandry on point, I'm sooo relieved the humidity issue went away after changing substrates. I'm still gonna dry out the cypress mulch and put in in a storage box, at least I won't run out of substrate right away, altho rn I'm loving the Coco Terrain/Jungle Earth combo. If XS is too tight for my boy, I'll just crumple up a few paper towels and put them inside each hide, thanks so much for that tip.

Omg you're way ahead of me in ink, I have to catch up lol. I'm getting some ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs done on my inner forearm, the one after that will be the snake tattoo on my neck, I just figured since my financial situation actually allows me to get tattoos done now, I should go ahead and do it while I can lol. That idea is so cool though, that ink would look sick. I want at least two snake tattoos (one on my neck/behind ear, one on my wrist), I've always loved snakes even long before I was able to buy one, I've been wanting a bp for the past 3 years, so hyped and excited to /finally/ pick him up from the breeder tmrw, she only lives like 10 minutes from where I live.
    Yeah, I think either way you'll be fine with the hides. And I'm glad you're ahead of the game with functionality being more important than visual appeal. Learning the husbandry ins and outs takes time and experience. Once you feel confident in your knowledge and experience you can start playing with things that are more impressive to the eye. Snakes tend to be a bit more forgiving with not going "by the book" as adults than with juveniles. So as your snake grows, you continue to learn. By the time your snake is an adult and more confident and comfortable and less fearful of being a prey item, you'll have the knowledge and experience to modify the enclosure a bit.

I like that substrate combo as well. I use the same combo with good results.

GGGGGRRRRRRRRRR!!!! Now I want ink even more, hahahahaha!!!!

Good luck with your new snake!! Share some pics when you first get him home before you let him settle in for at least a week.
    We're here for any more questions you may have

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Yeah, I think either way you'll be fine with the hides. And I'm glad you're ahead of the game with functionality being more important than visual appeal. Learning the husbandry ins and outs takes time and experience. Once you feel confident in your knowledge and experience you can start playing with things that are more impressive to the eye. Snakes tend to be a bit more forgiving with not going "by the book" as adults than with juveniles. So as your snake grows, you continue to learn. By the time your snake is an adult and more confident and comfortable and less fearful of being a prey item, you'll have the knowledge and experience to modify the enclosure a bit.

I like that substrate combo as well. I use the same combo with good results.

GGGGGRRRRRRRRRR!!!! Now I want ink even more, hahahahaha!!!!

Good luck with your new snake!! Share some pics when you first get him home before you let him settle in for at least a week.
    We're here for any more questions you may have
    Right now, I have a basic but functional tank, at least imo, and I'm happy with my setup, especially now that my humidity is consistently at 67%, at least I won't have to worry about added humidity during his sheds with the humidity being closer to 70% all the time.

Thank you so much to everyone for all your thoughts, opinions, and advice, this forum has been so invaluable and so helpful already lol.

I'll post some pics tomorrow when I get him, then I'm gonna let my baby chill and get used to his new tank.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to iddah For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-15-2017)

Registered User donnadudette2003's Avatar
    Thanks

You could put one small one medium and see what he likes

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    The XS hides ended up being too small for him, he's using the M size plastic hides, w/ crumpled up paper towels inside for added "tightness." He went to his cold hide already, so I guess he approves of his hides. Temps and humidity in his tank are still stable and holding, because of the high humidity outside his humidity went up to 77% but I'm not gonna worry since now I know it'll come down during the hotter days, indoor temps fluctuate so much in this country because the weather is what it is, changing into drier substrate was a rly good decision.
    1.0 SPINNER.
    "SOLIDUS"

1.0 SUPER CHOCOLATE PEWTER.
    "LIQUID"

1.0 ENCHI FIREFLY.
    COMING IN 2018.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to iddah For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-17-2017)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123