Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,704

5 members and 2,699 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Re: Trying to get glass doors in this, but having problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinstrome View Post
    Sorry, don't know how to edit

I didn't see this when I posted last time. I wanted to elaborate on what I mean by PVC liner. It's sold as a wide sheet of PVC that's something like 3mm thick. I would be caulking any and all jointed areas with silicone if I did it. However, for peace of mind, I think it's worth looking into alternatives so I don't put a bunch of work into something that turns out to be useless.

I didn't know about purely PVC-made structures, but I doubt I could build them. If I go that route, though, is there any good tutorial for how to do it?

Thanks again.
    Honestly unless you have routers and a lot of power tools and the room, it's better to just buy a premade PVC cage. My advice is buy an Animal Plastics cage. They are built very well, offer lots of customization and add ons and Ali is awesome to deal with. Plus it will be lighter and easier to move and clean than a giant piece of furniture lined with PVC.

Another piece of advice is KISS...keep it simple stupid. Not saying you're stupid lol, its just the saying I heard while growing up and working in the automotive repair industry. It's best to keep your cages simple and easy to clean and maintain. The more complex you make something, the more chances of having problems.

For example here are a couple pics of my cages. Animal Plastics T25s 6x3x18 cages. These have an almost 7' retic, 6.5' boa and 5.5' boa.

Animal Plastics T10s on the bottom 4x2x15 cages with a dumerils and ball python and 2 T8s on top 4x2x12 cages with 2 baby boas. Also have another T8 not pictured with another baby boa.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (08-13-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Wasn't trying to come down on you about it, just my opinion.
    Having said that I'm a big fan of Animal Plastics enclosures, apcages.com. Many folks go with the T8 for ball pythons but some prefer something taller. Here's a really great thread on how to set them up. https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-With-Pictures!
    AP isn't the end all plastic cage manufacturer but I like their products and they're a pretty good value depending on which model cage you get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I checked the site and they do look like great enclosures, but to get near the interior space I'm looking for would cost me over $500. I doubt I could sell the wood closet for more than $200 on Craigslist.

I'll mentally store them for the future, because I probably will buy another reptile eventually, but right now I'm interested in trying to use flex-seal with PVC lining on top of it. At any rate, I can't bring the closet into my house anytime soon (I'm trying to sell other furniture to make room), so it isn't like I need to make the decision today.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Honestly unless you have routers and a lot of power tools and the room, it's better to just buy a premade PVC cage. My advice is buy an Animal Plastics cage. They are built very well, offer lots of customization and add ons and Ali is awesome to deal with. Plus it will be lighter and easier to move and clean than a giant piece of furniture lined with PVC.

Another piece of advice is KISS...keep it simple stupid. Not saying you're stupid lol, its just the saying I heard while growing up and working in the automotive repair industry. It's best to keep your cages simple and easy to clean and maintain. The more complex you make something, the more chances of having problems.

For example here are a couple pics of my cages. Animal Plastics T25s 6x3x18 cages. These have an almost 7' retic, 6.5' boa and 5.5' boa.

Animal Plastics T10s on the bottom 4x2x15 cages with a dumerils and ball python and 2 T8s on top 4x2x12 cages with 2 baby boas. Also have another T8 not pictured with another baby boa.
    Those do look pretty good. I'll consider it while I wait for my old furniture to sell.
    Last edited by Kinstrome; 08-13-2017 at 08:51 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Well I'm assuming this cage is going to be for a BP as its the BP section of the forums. If so, a 4x2 with a shelf would be plenty of room for a BP. My almost 4 year old pied girl is just over 4' and she does fine in a T10 with a shelf.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (08-13-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Why do you need so much interior space? 60" tall is about equivalent to 4x the height that a ball python will use. Also maintaining temps in a 5' tall enclosure will be much more difficult than a shorter cage.

Thanks
    Yeah, I've considered that. Part of it is that I want to make an outstanding terrarium that happens to double as a house for my snake ( not that that means the snake's health is secondary to me).

I found a nice premade chameleon cage on Facebook Marketplace, so I may go with that instead.

A question: can weathered-down cedar driftwood that hasn't been sawed still affect reptiles?

EDIT: Also, if I ever get a larger reptile (which is likely), I may switch the snake to a different place.
    Last edited by Kinstrome; 08-13-2017 at 10:44 PM.

Thanks

Do whatever you want, but I'll say it again. Anything cedar in a reptile enclosure is not worth the risk in my opinion

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts

Do whatever you want, but I'll say it again. Anything cedar in a reptile enclosure is not worth the risk in my opinion

I agree. This reminds me of the post with the sauna.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (08-13-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    I agree. This reminds me of the post with the sauna.
    ^^^ Yep. I was thinking about that too

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Sunnieskys (08-14-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts

^^^ Yep. I was thinking about that too

i don't want to be a witch....but just no. It's really simple. Cedar = no! Sealed or not you take the risk of killing your snake.

If if you seal it, it becomes chemically treated wood. Which is a no. You put plastic wrap, is it reptile approved? So no. I'm sorry, but no. It's not worth a snakes life. Sorry.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks
    Alright, alright, I won't use the cedar closet. (I will clarify, though, that flex seal doesn't treat the wood like a finisher but adds another layer of substance over it, and PVC liner isn't plastic wrap but rather a solid surface like linoleum.) I may create a habitat inside the closet, but just not put any animal inside it. Purely a decoration.

I think it would be better to get something shorter anyway, as users have suggested. Although, I've noticed that my snake enjoys climbing things, even things she can't actually climb. Mostly, I'm concerned about her not getting enough heat.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kinstrome For This Useful Post:

Sunnieskys (08-14-2017)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast