Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,880

1 members and 2,879 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Okay about feeding my Colombian Red Tail...

Quote Originally Posted by MasonC2K View Post
    Umm...you have to actively click on it to watch the video. It's not like it auto launches and plays for you.
    i agree with Zinc: we had no way of knowing it was a live feeding; it could have been f/t. i always mention in video posts about audio loudness, subject matter, and possible sensitive footage so that people won't be surprised or watch something that makes them uncomfortable. it's p standard internet etiquette, and the reason NSFW/NSFL tags are a thing.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (08-14-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    i agree with Zinc: we had no way of knowing it was a live feeding; it could have been f/t. i always mention in video posts about audio loudness, subject matter, and possible sensitive footage so that people won't be surprised or watch something that makes them uncomfortable. it's p standard internet etiquette, and the reason NSFW/NSFL tags are a thing.

To be honest , I'm a big softie . My heart bleads when I accidentally stand on a snail fgs .

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    To be honest , I'm a big softie . My heart bleads when I accidentally stand on a snail fgs .
    i am too; i was caught off guard here as well. #softiesforlife
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Lots of great insight in this thread. I just bought Mr. Russo's book and plan to provide the best long term care and husbandry possible for the boa I ultimately get. I appreciate the words of those of you that have been doing the same for many years! Its gonna make my learning curve a lot shorter!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Howitzer For This Useful Post:

Gio (08-14-2017)

Anti-Thread Necro Patrol
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    Oh I see what you mean. I feed live to 15 balls every week so that stuff doesn't bother me in the slightest. Hell, half the reason I got a snake in the first place was to watch it kill and eat. I have no love loss for mice and rats. But I can't bring myself to feed a live GP or Rabbits as I've had those as pets.
    - Mason

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    To get back into the spirit of this thread I'd reread what bcr, Sauzo and I have stated.

Boa constrictors, and really most other snakes have times of feast and famine. A great many colubrids will go into a state of inactivity during the cold months, boas and pythons also have seasonal peaks and valleys when it comes to feeding. It's not always about IF the snake will eat, of course they will when the opportunity presents itself most times.

However in nature, which is where these animals evolved to survive, that opportunity may rely on the hatching, birthing, or migration patterns of other animals.

Let me be clear here. NO snake in nature eats on a schedule, and no snake in nature eats well fed, FAT, captive bred prey.

The responsibility of the keeper is to recognize the biology of the animal. You can argue about captivity being different, and it is, but it will not supersede the millions and millions of years snakes and other reptiles have evolved and adapted to for their continual survival.

We are lucky enough to be able to keep and understand our snakes a little bit because of continual research and study. In reality, other than stopping human destruction their natural habitats, they don't need us to survive , and they certainly don't need to go off of a human designed feeding "schedule".

Feeding can be a very involved subject if you want a very long lived boa constrictor.

I wish everybody the best of luck. I can gauge from conversations in this thread and other threads on this board who will have the longest living snakes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    To get back into the spirit of this thread I'd reread what bcr, Sauzo and I have stated.

Boa constrictors, and really most other snakes have times of feast and famine. A great many colubrids will go into a state of inactivity during the cold months, boas and pythons also have seasonal peaks and valleys when it comes to feeding. It's not always about IF the snake will eat, of course they will when the opportunity presents itself most times.

However in nature, which is where these animals evolved to survive, that opportunity may rely on the hatching, birthing, or migration patterns of other animals.

Let me be clear here. NO snake in nature eats on a schedule, and no snake in nature eats well fed, FAT, captive bred prey.

The responsibility of the keeper is to recognize the biology of the animal. You can argue about captivity being different, and it is, but it will not supersede the millions and millions of years snakes and other reptiles have evolved and adapted to for their continual survival.

We are lucky enough to be able to keep and understand our snakes a little bit because of continual research and study. In reality, other than stopping human destruction their natural habitats, they don't need us to survive , and they certainly don't need to go off of a human designed feeding "schedule".

Feeding can be a very involved subject if you want a very long lived boa constrictor.

I wish everybody the best of luck. I can gauge from conversations in this thread and other threads on this board who will have the longest living snakes.
    Honesty Gio, you have by far opened my eyes, my BCI WILL be properly fed and raised, I want my babies to live the longest, it's not about who's the biggest fastest, but who's the eldest...and that right there starts from the beginning....understanding the breed...ty for alllllllll of your insight and trust me, it won't be for nothing !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerries For This Useful Post:

Gio (08-14-2017),jmcrook (08-14-2017),RickyNY (08-14-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    I feed a fuzzy or crawler rat every 10 days or so. She's almost 3 ft now. She is always hungry but I try not to overfeed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123