Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,760

2 members and 2,758 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Moving BP back to tank after feeding

I feed my BP in a separate plastic tub. She's getting a decent size now and I'm starting to get to the point where I'm a little concerned about picking her up after she eats. I feel like she said lot more jumpy and she seems like she's still in the "feeding" mood while she's in this tank. I don't want to reach in to move her back and have her strike at me thinking that I'm another mouse. Any tips on how to move her back to her enclosure?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Moving BP back to tank after feeding

Quote Originally Posted by codycat91 View Post
    I feed my BP in a separate plastic tub. She's getting a decent size now and I'm starting to get to the point where I'm a little concerned about picking her up after she eats. I feel like she said lot more jumpy and she seems like she's still in the "feeding" mood while she's in this tank. I don't want to reach in to move her back and have her strike at me thinking that I'm another mouse. Any tips on how to move her back to her enclosure?

why you moved to feed?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Moving BP back to tank after feeding

Quote Originally Posted by codycat91 View Post

Easy solution ... Just do what most people seem to do these days and feed in her tank / Viv ....

I have fed all of my 20+ for years this way with no issues AT ALL !!

I simply place a piece of card / cardboard in the tank over the substrate and offer the food on top of the card to minimise the chance of ingesting / swallowing some substrate .

It does NOT make them think you are food whenever you put your hand in the Viv as they used to tell you decades ago ...

We're always told NOT too handle snakes for 48 hours after feeding so it sounds odd to be lifting them minutes after they've eaten .

Also can you imagine me trying to move any of my Boas / Burms / Retics or the KING snakes straight after a feed

Just my take on the matter , anyways

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Zincubus; 08-12-2017 at 02:55 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-12-2017),hollowlaughter (08-13-2017),serna2791 (08-12-2017)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Yeah that is usually a great way to increase your chances to get bit.

There is NO reason to move an animal to feed.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-12-2017),Kira (08-12-2017),MissterDog (08-12-2017),serna2791 (08-12-2017),Zincubus (08-12-2017)

Thanks
    Simple solution: Don't move her.

By moving her before and after feeding that's like you asking her to bite you. Feed in her enclosure, you'll be fine.
    1.0- Pastel het Pied- Khaa

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PythonBabes For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-12-2017),Zincubus (08-12-2017)

Thanks
    I agree that you don't need to move the ball python for feeding but if you must do it I would gently slide the snake out of the tub onto a table or some other surface then pick them up to put them back in the cage. That's what I did a long time ago with my albino california kingsnake snake. Had the same issues as you and this was when they told you to feed in a separate container. Once I had her out of the box it was no issue picking her up and putting back in the cage.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Morgoth For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (08-12-2017)

Thanks
    She seems like she's still in feeding mode because she IS still in feeding mode. Reasons why it is safer for you (and the snake) to just feed in her regular tank.

The whole "feeding tub keeps them from associating the opening of their regular cage with being fed" thing is just a myth, and has been perpetuated by pet stores (who usually know next to nothing but want to act like they do) and people who hear about it and don't know any better. It may sound like it makes sense on the surface, but moving them really only stresses the animal out and creates the perfect environment for the handler to get bitten.

I've always fed my snakes in their vivs and have never had a problem, the only time I really have to consider associations and feeding strikes when opening cages is actually on feeding day when I am thawing rodents, and then I am generally prepared for it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trisnake For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-12-2017),Zincubus (08-12-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    It's been said plenty of times already in this thread, but the answer is simple: feed in the enclosure. No need to move to a separate feeding tub.

Thanks
    I've found a LOT of the idea of feeding aggression comes from stores and owners who do not handle the animal outside of feeding time, and underestimate the capability of a snake to learn the association.

Of course the animal will strike when the enclosure's open!

It's learned that "open enclosure = food"!

So as long as the snake learns "open enclosure ≠ food (usually)" you'll be fine to feed inside. And eating a little bit of substrate isn't an issue as the heat and humidity are kept up to care sheet specifications.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    I went through this when I first got boople. I was adamant that I would not feed in her enclosure! I got a good talking to (thanks everyone). I have a routine with boop now. She comes out, gets weighed, my son holds her while I spot clean her tank, put the rat in, then she goes back in. She knows this routine as soon as she goes on the scale. Not once has she ever bit or even struck. So honestly just feed in her enclosure.

And i thank everyone who literally put me in my place. Boop is so much happier.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (08-13-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast