Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,278

3 members and 3,275 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Unhappy My Bp doesnt like me :(

Ok, so ive had honeybee for about a month now, and she seems attached to my uncle. I have picked her up before and let her explore, she seemed fine until she went up to my leg and bit me,(that problem has been tooken care of) anyway, i dont know why, but im still afraid of getting bit, I know, it doesnt even hurt, I think its the surprise of getting bit, and that i dont want to hurt her.( Shes big, about 3 1/2 feet) So i tried to take her out of her cage one day, and she wouldnt let me, she went up in a ball. My uncle took her out and she was just fine. But i can sit down a little away fro her, and she avoids me . It really hurts to me, because I have always wanted a ball python, and she wont even let me pick her up. But she lets my uncle. Also, I really dont know why im afraid of a bite when i have already been bitten out of a feeding response. I know, this is probably one of the dumbest posts, but plz help!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good news is that he does not hate you but it will not love you either, they are not capable of that kind of emotions, they do however sense whether someone is comfortable with the or someone that is apprehensive, uncomfortable or fearful.

Those are wild animals and owning a BP will mean you will get bit sooner or later, they don't enjoy being handled they tolerate it, so if you are looking for an animal to bond with a snake is just not it.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 08-11-2017 at 06:52 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

MJ_Bosley (08-12-2017)

Thanks

Re: My Bp doesnt like me :(

This is a total theory but maybe she can sense that you're afraid? And that makes her afraid to go near you? Or maybe you can figure out what she likes about your uncle and try to mimic it (is his temperature, way of holding, amount of body hair lol thats weird but idk) on yourself? Lastly, maybe she smells something on you she doesn't like (a medication, your perfume, another animal, etc) don't worry I've posted wayyyyy stupider stuff on here. I hope you find something that works, dont be disheartened there's a ton of really knowledgeable people on here who I'm sure can help you out (better than me at least lol)

1.0 Normal
    Normal doesn't mean boring!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spellbound04 For This Useful Post:

Alurii (08-11-2017),MJ_Bosley (08-12-2017)

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: My Bp doesnt like me :(

Thank u, It might've been the lotion I was wearing at the time. I will try not to be so nevous too.
    Thank u!

Thanks

I think BP's dont exactly like or hate anybody.
    0.1.0 Lemon Blast 2018 CV Exotics
    1.0.0 Kingpin 2018 CV Exotics

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SPIDERBALL For This Useful Post:

Trisnake (08-12-2017)

Thanks

If you hesitate when reaching into the cage, or tense up when holding your girl, she might feel afraid that you're going to accidentally hurt her or drop her. By trusting in yourself and holding her gently but confidently a few times a week, Honeybee will eventually begin to trust your touch. Try wearing gloves to get her out the first few times, just to help with your apprehension about getting bit! If she balls up, that's ok - give her time to come out on her own. With time, these awesome snakes can easily become laid-back, great pets :-) good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kenthebird For This Useful Post:

Alurii (08-14-2017),MJ_Bosley (08-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

I approach all my snakes from behind NEVER go towards their face / eyes / teeth

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alurii View Post
    Thank u, It might've been the lotion I was wearing at the time. I will try not to be so nevous too.
    Thank u!
    You're welcome! Glad I could help a bit dont force yourself to feel any sort of way, Try to be natural

1.0 Normal
    Normal doesn't mean boring!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spellbound04 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    The best advice I can give you is to just try to be confident when picking her up. Respect her, don't fear her. It may take some time for you both to get more comfortable with one another, and that's ok. Take your time, develop a trust with your snake.

They aren't capable of like, love, hate or any emotions like that. As has been said above, they tolerate being handled. They don't seek it out. You'll never see your snake looking through the glass of her enclosure wagging her tail excited to see you're home from work, school or wherever.

One trick that may help her acclimate to you may be to try wearing a t-shirt or something that belongs to your uncle. Your snake may recognize his smell and be more inclined to trust you. But, even with that being said, it's going to come to confidence on your part.

Don't give up, don't let it get you down. It may take a little time and effort on your part (your snake won't initiate it), but it'll be worth it.

Good luck! Hope this helped a little.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Alurii (08-14-2017),Trisnake (08-12-2017)

Thanks

Don't worry. She can live upwards of 30 years, so you guys have plenty of time to get to know each other. Just be confident and everything will work out. Also, I recommend you handle your Ball Python before you shower or put on body chemicals with strong odors. My Ball Python is very outgoing and loves to crawl all around me but if I've recently taken a shower or put on deodorant, he tenses up and stays in a ball.
    Also, I recommend handling during late afternoon/early evening when Ball Pythons are most active. Be in a moderate to low lit room and make sure other animals are not present. Sit down while holding her too. When picking her up, either do so from the sides away from her head and scoop her from underneath or use snake hooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. The Following User Says Thank You to JustinGatCat For This Useful Post:

Alurii (08-14-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast