Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,154

2 members and 3,152 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Frustrating feeding female advice needed

I have a pastel female that is getting frustrating in getting her to eat. I've had her for a bout a year and a half now and she has gone from 800-1100g. So only about 300g in 18 months. She is shy and I've only been able to get her to eat by leaving the thawed rat in her tub overnight. Which had probably been about 8-10 meals total in that time. She's currently kept in a 41qt tub with aspen bedding two hides. With a hotspot of 90*, the middle of the tub holds at about 80* with the cold side in the mid to upper 70s with humidity around 60-70%. I'm thinking about switching to a smaller tub to see if that helps. She ate a 3 meals when I first got her before she went off food for about 5 months, ar ate twice then off again for a other 5-6 months before eating a couple more rats, now she's going on 6 months again. I'm thinking about moving her on if I can't get her to eat. I'm offering a ~100g rat every 2 weeks.
    She has shed multiple times, I've been hoping that would get her started, but it hasn't.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Tried live?

Some snakes get picky sometimes, and won't eat until they get what they want.
    1.0- Pastel het Pied- Khaa

Thanks

Re: Frustrating feeding female advice needed

I havnt tried live yet since she's eaten FT before. Though I might give it a shot if a smaller tub doesn't work.

Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They eat on their schedule, and now that she is at 1100 grams there is also the "wall" to take in consideration.

Things I would do are downsizing to a 15 quarts run.

Offering smaller preys 50/60 grams

Things I would not do is offering love, if she eats F/T she will again, it's all about finding what can trigger her and be PATIENT.

And if she is a smaller female that is healthy but eat less and grow slow, It's ok.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Frustrating feeding female advice needed

Have you tried the 'warming by hairdryer trick' ??

This method WORKS if done properly ...
    I wait until evening as they're nocturnal of course . I let the rodent thaw out in the reptile room so they get the smell ..
    Then I warm up the mouse / rat with a hairdryer and offer with tongs IMMEDIATELY whilst still warm . If refused simply repeat the heating and offering as many times as needed. .
    A couple of mine will only strike feed from within their hides so I dangle the warm rodent in front of the hide's entrance - usually works but if it fails simply reheat the rodent with a hairdryer and immediately offer again whilst it's still warm continue until it's grabbed ...

Incidentally , if it shows no interest at all not even a tongue flicker maybe it's best to leave for a week or so. .

PS

If that fails you can move it to a smaller rub , leave it a week to settle in and then try the 'hairdryer trick' again before turning to feeding LIVE .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Zincubus; 08-12-2017 at 12:01 PM.