Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,753

0 members and 2,753 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,023
Threads: 248,488
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, fishguts
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: So...

BPnet Veteran BallPythonWannaBe's Avatar
    Thanks

So...

I know I've been posting a whole lot of threads about different snakes and I think I've decided on a Ball Python Right now I've decided to wait on getting a snake. In the meantime I want to cram as much knowledge I to my head as possible in the meantime So...
    1. Would a 41q underbed storage tub be okay for the duration of a MALES life?
    2. I know some people recommend that they arnt for beginners but other people say with the right research a beginner could keep a BRB. What's your point of view?
    3. What's the best cage for humidity?
    4. Are AP cages really as good as people say they are?
    5. Are males or females better? Or is there really a difference?
    6. Should a beginner start with a $20 normal or would a $400 Mystic Potion,BEL or Pied be okay?
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"
    -J.K Rowling Sorcerer's Stone
    Long time no see, back at it again in my white vans.

Thanks

Re: So...

Also I've read almost any sticky I can find about tub setups and the tank sticky on here

Thanks
    It doesn't matter if you have a normal or a cool morph- they have the exact same husbandry requirements so get whichever one you like the best and can afford.
    Winry-Pastel Vanilla BP

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kira For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-11-2017),MissterDog (08-11-2017),PokeyTheNinja (08-16-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts
    My boy lives happily in a 41 quart. As for differences. If you aren't breeding I'd get a male because for the most part you'll be able to buy cooler genes for less money if you get a male as female are more valuable in the eyes of breeders.

Personally I don't find ball pythons to be the best for beginners as they can be very picky about both their set up and their eating. I would consider a ball python and a BRB about the same level of 'difficulty'. Both snakes really need to have their husbandry perfect to be happy and even then a ball python will often go on a food strike that can be very stressful for a first time owner.

I consider cornsnakes the 'go to' beginner snake.

Not saying that beginners can't own ball pythons or BRB, you just need to make sure everything is set up right.

EDIT: also an older more established snake is going to be easier than a hatchling. A hatchling of either species is not going to be happy starting out in a 41 quart, way too much room for them to feel comfortable.
    Last edited by piedlover79; 08-11-2017 at 08:44 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to piedlover79 For This Useful Post:

Kira (08-11-2017),MissterDog (08-11-2017),PokeyTheNinja (08-16-2017)

Thanks

Hmm,the husbandry does worry me a bit but coulubrids really don't interest me :/ I like how they BPs have a python look in a 'Tiny' package Well tiny compared to Retics or Burms

Thanks
    Just make sure that you do plenty of research and you'll be fine. Have your enclosure setup and running with proper temps and humidity before bringing the snake home.

A thermostat (not to be confused with a thermometer) is one of the single most important pieces of a ball python enclosure. It regulates your UTH so your snake won't get burned. An unregulated UTH can easily reach over 100 degrees and injure or even kill your snake.

Ball pythons actually are extremely easy if you buy all the proper equipment, do thorough research and prepare ahead of time so I don't understand why people say they aren't beginner snakes.
    Winry-Pastel Vanilla BP

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kira For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (08-11-2017),PokeyTheNinja (08-16-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    Echoing Kira on the research. A beginner can totally keep a thriving bp as long you commit to your research and don't try to take short cuts with husbandry. Solidify yourself with the basics before trying to break the rules and don't be afraid to take things slow.

Thermostats will be your most important equipment so it will definitely be worth saving up for a reliable one with a long life span, such as Herpstat. They seem pricey at first glance but in the long run it will save you a lot of money and headaches if you start with a better quality thermostat than a cheaper one you will have to replace within a few months.

As for humidity, tubs and pvc cages will be your best bet, but your choice in substrate will play a key factor. I can say Animal Plastics is definitely fantastic, well worth the wait if you're looking for a high quality permanent cage. They also offer custom sizes/features and dividers. You just need to survive the wait time :p

As for male or females, it comes down to personal preference. The biggest difference is size. Males being smaller and females being larger. This will vary from snake to snake, but males may be more prone to going off feed during breeding season because they are more interested in looking for girls lol. However there has also been studies that suggest males are more likely to explore and climb than females. Again this is more dependent on each individual snake.

Personally I went with a male due to their smaller size.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Kira (08-11-2017),PokeyTheNinja (08-16-2017)

Thanks

So what I've found is that they are good for beginners...a well researched beginner who gets the right supplies and doesn't take short cuts? Especially no impulse buys as I find those lead to a dead snake or someone selling the cute little noodle they saw at an Expo or Petsmart(Who I've read is NOT a smart choice to buy animals from)

Thanks
    Exactly! I got my very first snake in February. I have never had a snake before let alone a reptile. The key is that I did a bunch of research and had the enclosure setup before she arrived. I've never had an issue with her and she hasn't skipped a single meal.

Feel free to personally message me if you ever have questions or need to help
    Winry-Pastel Vanilla BP

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kira For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (08-11-2017),PokeyTheNinja (08-16-2017)

Thanks

Thanks so much Kira! When I do get a snake it will be my first reptile...so nervous even now! I've had many different animals so it's really just the humidifier and temps making me nervous

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast