Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 309

17 members and 292 guests
Most users ever online was 3,642, 05-08-2016 at 09:50 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

enginee837 (41)

» Stats

Members: 59,215
Threads: 229,258
Posts: 2,363,055
Top Poster: JLC (31,652)
Welcome to our newest member, hannahsammeli

» December 2017

S M T W T F S
26 27 28 29 30 1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 1 2 3 4 5 6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Registered User Hannahrenee's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-08-2017
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Images: 3

    Temperature question!

    So, during the day the warm side of my ball pythons tank is 90-93 and the cool side is around 79-81. But once nighttime falls the cool side temps drop really low. I have an under tank heater as well as a basking light on the warm side so even at night the temps never fall below 90. But, on the cool side the temps go from 65-70. I know ball pythons can have a heat drop at night, but is this too low of a drop? I try everything to keep the ambient temps up at night. I have more than half of the lid covered with a thick towel and the area uncovered has the heat lamp. Yet still, the temps drop to the high 60s at night because my house gets so cold. (I am not in control of the thermostat so making the house warmer isn't an option). How else can I get the night time temps closer to 75+? Should I move the heat lamp to the cool side at night?
    Or is it not a big deal as long as he has that 90 belly heat all night?

  2. #2
    BPnet Veteran HannahLou's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-14-2015
    Posts
    916
    Thanks
    465
    Thanked 900 Times in 404 Posts
    It will probably be ok if it hangs out on the warm side in a hide but with that much of a drop it's probably pretty drafty in there. This is why tanks are not good for them without lots of modifications. How's the humidity sitting? There are numerous threads with suggestions on how to modify a tank and sounds like for that big of a drop you'll want to find the instructions for covering 3 side's in foam for insulation. Hope you can get it worked out!

  3. #3
    BPnet Senior Member KMG's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-09-2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    4,787
    Thanks
    890
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,514 Posts
    Images: 33
    I keep my home cold. When my cages were not all in one room I had to have a 100watt che on the warm side and a 60watt on the cool side to keep things right.

    I would look into getting a second light and put it on a timer to turn on at night.
    KMG

    0.1 BP
    1.3 Blood Python
    0.1 Western Hoggy
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa

    0.2 Olde English Bulldogge


  4. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

    Hannahrenee (08-12-2017)

  5. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-11-2017
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 28 Times in 16 Posts

    Re: Temperature question!

    Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    I keep my home cold. When my cages were not all in one room I had to have a 100watt che on the warm side and a 60watt on the cool side to keep things right.

    I would look into getting a second light and put it on a timer to turn on at night.
    How did you manage humidity with all the heat sources?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #5
    BPnet Senior Member KMG's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-09-2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    4,787
    Thanks
    890
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,514 Posts
    Images: 33

    Re: Temperature question!

    Quote Originally Posted by neonspeed View Post
    How did you manage humidity with all the heat sources?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Damp moss in the hides.(both)

    Kept it moist during a shed.

    Allowed it to dry out between dampenings during non shed.

    Worked great!
    KMG

    0.1 BP
    1.3 Blood Python
    0.1 Western Hoggy
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa

    0.2 Olde English Bulldogge


  7. #6
    Registered User Hannahrenee's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-08-2017
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Images: 3

    Re: Temperature question!

    Quote Originally Posted by HannahLou View Post
    It will probably be ok if it hangs out on the warm side in a hide but with that much of a drop it's probably pretty drafty in there. This is why tanks are not good for them without lots of modifications. How's the humidity sitting? There are numerous threads with suggestions on how to modify a tank and sounds like for that big of a drop you'll want to find the instructions for covering 3 side's in foam for insulation. Hope you can get it worked out!
    Humidity is good. I have absolutely no problems keeping that up where it needs to be. It's just the temperature thats difficult. I will look more into insulating like you said, thanks.

  8. #7
    Registered User Hannahrenee's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-08-2017
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Images: 3

    Re: Temperature question!

    Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    I keep my home cold. When my cages were not all in one room I had to have a 100watt che on the warm side and a 60watt on the cool side to keep things right.

    I would look into getting a second light and put it on a timer to turn on at night.
    I didn't think about using two lights. I will try that out and see how well it goes, as long as it doesn't lower the humidity too much.

  9. #8
    Registered User craigafrechette's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-27-2017
    Location
    Ayer, MA USA
    Posts
    2,821
    Thanks
    3,328
    Thanked 1,749 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Are you running your heat supplies (UTH and heat bulbs) with a thermostat?

    Your night temps are definitely too cold and could lead to RI over time.
    ...life is beautiful...

  10. #9
    Registered User ckuhn003's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-18-2017
    Posts
    301
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 131 Times in 84 Posts
    Images: 2

    Re: Temperature question!

    Speaking of night temps.....with a tstat is it best to keep the same temps 24 hours a day or should you ramp it down at night?

    Also if belly temp (hot side and cool side) and humidity are right, is there any other measurement to be concerned with?

  11. #10
    BPnet Senior Member KMG's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-09-2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    4,787
    Thanks
    890
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,514 Posts
    Images: 33

    Re: Temperature question!

    Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Speaking of night temps.....with a tstat is it best to keep the same temps 24 hours a day or should you ramp it down at night?

    Also if belly temp (hot side and cool side) and humidity are right, is there any other measurement to be concerned with?
    There is no need for it to drop at night. Some snakes for breeding purposes need it but that's not you so I wouldn't have a drop.

    With good surface temps and humidity you still need the air temp in a the need range. 75F is the lowest most will go.
    KMG

    0.1 BP
    1.3 Blood Python
    0.1 Western Hoggy
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa

    0.2 Olde English Bulldogge


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1