Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,889

1 members and 2,888 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Dented eggs and thickened shells

Hi All!
    I spent a day searching the forums to find a clear answer first to my question and found great info, but not exactly for what I was looking for. After returning from traveling, I found my female coiled on 6 eggs, that were fairly well adhered together at that time.

This was a surprise, because nothing happened with this pair for a year....and then, well you get the idea. The eggs are now in an incubator with vermiculite, at 88-89 degrees, blah, blah. However, 3 of the eggs are dented because they sat anywhere from 1-4 days with the mother in her tank at modest (not super high) humidity levels. I'm on day 10 now in the incubator and the slight dimples in one of the eggs appears to have vanished, but the other couple of eggs have the same dent size as before - about 0.5 - 1 inch long and about 1/4 inch in depth. They certainly have not increased in dent size. Before putting the eggs in an incubator, I "candled" them and did see pinkish hue and red veins on a couple eggs (I did not check all the eggs because I wanted to get them in the incubator ASAP).

My question(s):
    1) any need to worry about the dented eggs being fatally harmed from being in low humidity for a couple days
    2) will the shells on these eggs have thickened (as I have read on some posts) because of the low humidity and become too thick for pipping? Not sure I want to cut the eggs, but I will if I don't see anything after 60 days or so.

Thanks much,
    ACon

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Dented eggs and thickened shells

Hi,

I wouldn't worry about the dents - this one hatched just fine;

As to the shells thickening I would say it will also be fine - but you will be better able to judge in the last few days before hatching is due when they begin to soften and stop sticking to each other.

If you feel then that they are thick enough to be a worry then candle for veins and cut a v-shaped opening in any eggs that haven't pipped with a day or so of the first one.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Re: Dented eggs and thickened shells

Thanks for the reply. It has been a couple of days since I last looked at the eggs, but tonight I noticed that the dents are only slightly noticeable now. The eggs seemed to have filled back out and the dents are only about 25% of the size they were before. Humidity reading is at 99% in the tub. So I leave them be and check again in a week or two.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ACon For This Useful Post:

dr del (08-12-2017)