Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,358

2 members and 3,356 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Male or female breeding

is it better to get a female or a male to breed to get the most like a Spider pinstripe with het 70% albinism or a female with 70% albino

Btw the spider is breeding with a normal morph

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts

Re: Male or female breeding

Quote Originally Posted by oreo View Post
    is it better to get a female or a male to breed to get the most like a Spider pinstripe with het 70% albinism or a female with 70% albino

Btw the spider is breeding with a normal morph

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't quite understand the question. If you're breeding a spider to a normal you'll only get normals and spiders which all all very inexpensive and will be hard to find homes for. There is no such thing as a 70% het albino and breeding spider to spider is really not recommended to do at all for the high possibility of fatal supers. A possible het to a normal will never get you an albino. Seems like you really need to start your breeding research with the basics before you go any further.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hannahshissyfix For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-15-2017),shaundouglass135 (08-15-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I'm not quite sure what you are asking either...
    I agree you need to start from the very beginning of your breeding research. I'm years into this hobby and nowhere near ready to breed.

Thanks
    Honestly, I wouldn't breed to a normal... If at all possible. There are SO many BPs in the market now that it is very hard to place / find homes for normals. Because of that, you should try to produce only morph animals and preferably work with morphs that are popular where you are (and will sell) or work with a morph that you really like so that you won't mind keeping the offspring if you can't find homes for them.

The spider gene is also related to wobbling and in some cases, can be so bad that you might have to "cull" a hatching if it cannot function due to severe wobble. That is something I would not suggest for a new breeder. You still run that risk (having to cull animals due to deformities) no matter what morph you work with, but with spiders and other genes that are known to cause defects, it is a higher possibility.

The only morph I know of where sex ratio comes into play is the bananna / coral glow. With those, one strain produces mostly male offspring and the other strain produces mostly female offspring. Other than that, I don't think there is a different ratio of sexes or morphs produced whether you choose a male or female.

To have the best chance of producing a recessive morph, like albino (where both parents must carry the gene), I would suggest starting with a visual albino and pairing it with another visual or with a "het" albino.

You do not want to deal with animals that are "50% het" etc. In that case, the animal is a "possible het" meaning that it may or may not be het albino...so you don't know until you breed it and find out. IMO, you should either get a visual animal or a "100% het" so that you know what you are working with. Don't be shy, ask the breeder what the pairing was that produced the het animal. If they were not using a visual example (i.e. albino x normal) I would not purchase. If they were doing a het x het pairing, then they don't know which animals carry the gene so it is a guessing game.

I would do a good bit more research before you start breeding. Figure out which combo morph you really enjoy and want to breed, then look around a lot online and find animals that are the closest to that morph that you can afford and grow them up and breed. I am currently leaning towards producing animals that are a combination of hypo, enchi, dessert ghost, and lesser, so I know that I will need to purchase visual hypos or hets that carry one or more of the other traits listed (same with DG). To that end, I am looking for animals that carry 2-3 genes at least. In the long run, it is easier / cheaper to go at it that way because you do not have to grow out as many snakes or breed as many generations to get what you want. The purchase price of the adults may be more but the cost of feeding and keeping all of the single gene animals to eventually breed that 4 gene BP will far outweigh it in the long run.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-15-2017),KayLynn (08-15-2017)