Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,191

3 members and 3,188 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Heat Question

Registered User InherentResolve's Avatar
    Thanks

Heat Question

Hello all,

Quick question. Say I were to have flexwatt providing a hotspot of 90 degrees on one side of my boaphile, but the cool side temps were reading 73 as well as ambient. Would it be wise to add flexwatt on the cool side set to 80? I understand ambients are important but if my snake never leaves the ground and has a gradient going from 90 hot and 80 cool on the ground, would the 73 ambient even matter at that point?

Thanks
    I cant say for sure how important the ambient is if the ground temp is always correct, but i use a combo of flexwatt on 75% of the floor set to about 81/82, and an RHP all the way to one side (above a heated area) providing a warm zone of about 89, the other unheated 25% on the other side of the tank stays at about 78 and i'm taking readings at ground level and a few inches up so i feel like the combo of heat sources eventually heats up the air. BTW, the temp of the room is cool, high 60's. But thats one of the advantages of the RHP, you know the heat will always be reaching the snake when they are within its range - mine will create another zone by climbing on top of the warm side hide for a high heat bask now and again.
    But to actually answer one of your questions, i personally see no problem with running 2 different flexwatt areas as long as they are really well regulated - definitely provide a cool escape area if, god forbid, your thermostat messed up.
    1.0 Central American BI: Irwin
    0.1 Jungle, het snow BI: Gimel
    1.0 green albino, het granite Burm: Dr. Waffles
    1.0 Betta fish: Convertible
    1.1 cats: Tipitina (Tipi) and Professor Longhair (Fess)
    0.1 Egyptian baladi dog: Toasty

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    First off, from what I've noticed with all my boas is they hate 90F hot spots. All my boas are kept at about 86-88F hot spot with flexwatt.

As far as ambient, flexwatt isnt going to heat the air much if at all. If you cant get it to around 78-80F, then you will need to add either a RHP or something like an oil filled radiator. I personally keep all my boas at room temp which is 78-82F depending on the time of year. In the winter if it drops below 78F which it really never does, I will throw on my oil filled radiator in the room.

73F is too cool for them. I wouldnt let them drop below 75F.

The problem with having too cold of ambient along with the required humidity of 70%, you run the risk of an RI. Just like if the temps are too high and the air is too dry, you get an RI.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie