Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,266

1 members and 3,265 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

feeding in a feeding tub causes organ damage and kills snakes?

Now I feed all my snakes in their cages. I do feed hatchlings in small containers as a rule, they always eat better for the first few times.
    She was telling another person that feeding in tubs will kill his snakes, causing severe stress, regurges eventual organ damage and death.
    I told this person she was overreacting. She got mad and is saying Im an idiot. BTW this was for colubrids if that makes a difference.

So am I an idiot, while its not the recommended practice, Im thinking its not a death sentence for most snakes(at least thats my take).
    Last edited by Miranda2; 08-08-2017 at 08:30 AM.

Thanks

feeding in a feeding tub causes organ damage and kills snakes?

If a snake swallows substrate while eating it can cause some pretty nasty issues but if your snake is on newspaper or substrate isn't a factor, feeding in the tub is fine.

Every person has a preference with how they feed their snakes, though. I feed mine out of their tubs in separate bins because they're on a substrate, but I also don't want the scent of delicious rats left over in their tubs and it's easier to keep an eye on them just in case. Plus they're used to it, and I have a system going that just makes it easier to clean and whatnot all at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KayLynn; 08-08-2017 at 09:46 AM.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KayLynn For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (08-09-2017),Ronniex2 (08-21-2017),Sonny1318 (08-08-2017),Timelugia (08-08-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I know many Corn Snake owners who feed their snakes in a feeding bin properly, for the entire life of the snake, without a single problem. Once I passed the 6th Corn acquisition, it became too cumbersome. And when I added in several different species, I expanded my knowledge base, and I've never bothered again.
    The pros for corns, who are very active when in hand:
    -they associate the bin with feeding and get down to business when placed in it.
    -no chance of substrate ingestion.
    -no mouse mess (blood, squished out feces) in your viv.
    -no chance of a "wrapped and dragged" that was never actually eaten smelling up the entire room and "germifying" the viv.
    -they never associate opening the door with feeding.
    Feeding in a separate bin would not work for many species, like GTP's and most BPs, for example.
    And just like the bin and eating becomes a conditioned response, I have found that other responses can be conditioned. Sauza, for example, uses a twisted paper towel to boop the snoot, so Caesar knows it's NOT feeding time. I now do that, too, and it works for every species I have.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DLena For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (08-09-2017),Craiga 01453 (08-08-2017),Miranda2 (08-08-2017),paulh (08-08-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Re: feeding in a feeding tub causes organ damage and kills snakes?

I feed all of my snakes inside their enclosures and even though I don't see any benefit to feeding in a separate bin I don't believe it's a deadly practice. I just think it's more stressful for the snake and the keeper especially for those with larger snakes and collections. I've never had any impaction issues from substrate ingestion or increased cage aggression. I do have some very food oriented critters that will go on high alert when the enclosure door opens but a quick tap with a hook or paper towel roll and they calm right down.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-08-2017),DLena (08-08-2017),KMG (08-08-2017),Miranda2 (08-08-2017)

Thanks
    Actually I was asking if it was true that feeding in a tub could cause your snake to die. Has there been any cases of snakes dying as a direct result of being fed in a separate tub?

I personally dont have a problem with either way unless your dealing with large snakes like retics, then I think its more dangerous to tub feed(just from what Ive read).
    Last edited by Miranda2; 08-08-2017 at 10:27 AM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda2 View Post
    Actually I was asking if it was true that feeding in a tub could cause your snake to die. Has there been any cases of snakes dying as a direct result of being fed in a separate tub?
    The short answer is NO. What would cause the snake to regurge/become injured/die would be mishandling on the part of the owner. Picking the snake up while still swallowing, putting pressure on the "mouse bump", dumping the snake back into the viv... instead of allowing the snake to fully swallow and crawl back into his viv from your assisting hand or directly from the tub. None of this is a direct result of tub feeding; all of it is owner mishandling. And I don't know a single person who has ever had this happen (all are Corn Snake owners).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DLena For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-08-2017)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

I personally dont have a problem with either way unless your dealing with large snakes like retics, then I think its more dangerous to tub feed(just from what Ive read).
    The short answer is no. A snake will not die because you feed it in its enclosure. The person that told you this is the idiot, not you. As stated above, the only potential issue could be the ingestion of a very large piece of substrate that the snake's digestive tract cannot handle. There is an episode of ViperKeeper where he removes a very large piece of substrate from a young snake's stomach if you are interested in an extreme case.

Wow... Delena even started the post with the same sentence. LOL.
    Last edited by JodanOrNoDan; 08-08-2017 at 11:00 AM.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

No. That makes no sense.

If anything I'd say feeding in cage with items the snake can strike with their body or head during feeding would be more dangerous than feeding in a empty tub. Not that I believe either is dangerous.

I also feed on substrate and have been for years without issue. It's not always sanitary in nature and I'm sure they pick up some debris on occasion. I've yet to see one post about a snake having complications from ingesting substrate.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    The last thing I want is for a snake I'm handling to get the sudden idea that it's time to eat. I'm inclined to maintain feeding as closely associated with their own space/enclosure as possible. Keep it simple - less chance of a surprise that way.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-08-2017)

Anti-Thread Necro Patrol
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have no issue with people feeding in a separate place. I only have issue with bogus excuses people use as a reason for doing so. Like that "If you feed your snake in it's cage it will associate opening the cage with feeding and you are more likely to get bit."
    - Mason

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MasonC2K For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-08-2017),DLena (08-08-2017),Trisnake (08-24-2017)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast