Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ


» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 64,630
Threads: 239,080
Posts: 2,483,789
Top Poster: JLC (31,652)
Welcome to our newest member, endgamesyndrome
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 48

Thread: Site facelift?

  1. #31
    BPnet Veteran EDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-29-2015
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    625
    Thanks
    731
    Thanked 462 Times in 337 Posts
    Images: 42

    Re: Site facelift?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Well I myself have never had any issues with TapaTalk and I've been using it for years ... I stopped bothering with PhotoBucket and the like many years ago as they were such a faff to use .

    TapaTalk works great with IPhones and IPads and I'd say that I possibly upload more photos to this site than anyone else ...


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cool thanks zin. Right now its not a huge deal but i'll try to consider tapatalk. I'm ok with using my profile picture space for now.
    0.1 : Albino Clown - GHI Pastave - Killer Bee Fader - Sugar Bee - Trick het pied - Pastel het pied - Lemon Blast het puzzle

    1.0 : Pie Bald - Banana - Mystic Potion 66% pos het pied - Pastel Lesser het puzzle - Super Pastel 66% pos het puzzle

    1.0 2012 Albino Red Tail
    1.0 1999 Columbian Red Tail

  2. #32
    Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-21-2010
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    11,962
    Thanks
    6,138
    Thanked 6,841 Times in 4,199 Posts
    Images: 3

    Re: Site facelift?

    Quote Originally Posted by BPGator View Post
    This is what Tapatalk can access on the phone. Why do you say it accesses your contacts?




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Go back to post #29.
    Not too many people ever read what permissions you give any of the apps when you download them. It has nothing to do with the settings after its on you phone.
    Its not just tap either.

  3. #33
    BPnet Lifer OhhWatALoser's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-28-2007
    Location
    Suburbs of Detroit
    Posts
    4,951
    Thanks
    515
    Thanked 2,631 Times in 1,445 Posts

    Re: Site facelift?

    Quote Originally Posted by BPGator View Post
    This is what Tapatalk can access on the phone. Why do you say it accesses your contacts?




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Even before adk22 android didn't ask for the contact permission to gather certain data, anything built on adk23 or later does. Reading this I would assume it considers it a dangerous permission now, and really I don't want any apps besides text and phone able to read my contacts. Everyone sees things differently tho.

    If the device is running Android 6.0 or higher, and your app's target SDK is 23 or higher: The app has to list the permissions in the manifest, and it must request each dangerous permission it needs while the app is running. The user can grant or deny each permission, and the app can continue to run with limited capabilities even if the user denies a permission request.

  4. #34
    BPnet Lifer Zincubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-22-2011
    Posts
    5,246
    Thanks
    2,035
    Thanked 3,173 Times in 2,035 Posts

    Site facelift?

    What exactly are you guys worried about actually- is there any RELIABLE evidence to warrant your concerns ??

    What's the worst that could happen ...again with some evidence ..

    Just confused ... there is nothing on our iPad or my iPhone that would have me worrying ...


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Zincubus; 08-08-2017 at 10:34 AM.




  5. #35
    BPnet Veteran JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-23-2015
    Location
    Everglades
    Posts
    3,025
    Thanks
    2,000
    Thanked 2,817 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Images: 76

    Re: Site facelift?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    What exactly are you guys worried about actually- is there any RELIABLE evidence to warrant your concerns ??

    What's the worst that could happen ...again with some evidence ..

    Just confused ... there is nothing on our iPad or my iPhone that would have me worrying ...


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Zinc, to some extent it is a cultural thing. Many Americans do not like any type of potential intrusion into their personal lives, be it by companies or government. As a software guy, I have an intimate understanding of what can potentially be done with software and how data can be gathered and misused. I am very, very careful about what I install on any device especially if it is connected to the Internet. I am a little extreme in that I will not even do electronic banking.


    As to site suggestions, I am pretty much agreeing with everything Pit and OWAL are saying.
    Last edited by JodanOrNoDan; 08-08-2017 at 10:53 AM.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

    Zincubus (08-08-2017)

  7. #36
    Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-21-2010
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    11,962
    Thanks
    6,138
    Thanked 6,841 Times in 4,199 Posts
    Images: 3
    Its information they dont need.
    Its as bad as everything wanting to link to your facebook account.
    You might not have a problem but one of your contacts might.
    The contacts I have collected is not my information to share, its that simple.
    Last edited by PitOnTheProwl; 08-08-2017 at 10:59 AM.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

    Craiga 01453 (08-08-2017),Zincubus (08-08-2017)

  9. #37
    BPnet Lifer Zincubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-22-2011
    Posts
    5,246
    Thanks
    2,035
    Thanked 3,173 Times in 2,035 Posts

    Re: Site facelift?

    Oddly enough I don't have a Facebook account .... Anyways thanks for the background info .
    All things considered though - I'll keep using TapaTalk .




  10. #38
    BPnet Veteran OTorresUSMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-08-2016
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    307
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked 96 Times in 72 Posts
    Images: 2

    Re: Site facelift?

    All you need to do is access the APP PERMISSIONS setting or equivalent on your mobile device. You can then turn off any permissions you are not comfortable with. The thing to remember with some of these permissions is the privacy policy. That will tell you how they use that info they want access to. A lot of app request your contacts because of messaging options. As far as tapatalk don't know why they need it and on my device its turned off

    Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    0.1 Woma Pinstripe "Gemma"
    0.1 Ultramel "Lyla"
    0.1 Bamboo Woma "Tara"
    0.1 Rio(Super Arroyo) "Wendy"
    1.0 Clown "Happy"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Ghost "Unser"
    1.0 KillerBee Yellow Belly "Half-Sack"

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to OTorresUSMC For This Useful Post:

    Zincubus (08-08-2017)

  12. #39
    BPnet Lifer Zincubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-22-2011
    Posts
    5,246
    Thanks
    2,035
    Thanked 3,173 Times in 2,035 Posts

    Re: Site facelift?

    Quote Originally Posted by OTorresUSMC View Post
    All you need to do is access the APP PERMISSIONS setting or equivalent on your mobile device. You can then turn off any permissions you are not comfortable with. The thing to remember with some of these permissions is the privacy policy. That will tell you how they use that info they want access to. A lot of app request your contacts because of messaging options. As far as tapatalk don't know why they need it and on my device its turned off

    Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    That sounds like a sensible thing to do for more or less all the apps ...

    Thanks


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk




  13. #40
    BPnet Lifer OhhWatALoser's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-28-2007
    Location
    Suburbs of Detroit
    Posts
    4,951
    Thanks
    515
    Thanked 2,631 Times in 1,445 Posts

    Re: Site facelift?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    What exactly are you guys worried about actually- is there any RELIABLE evidence to warrant your concerns ??

    What's the worst that could happen ...again with some evidence ..

    Just confused ... there is nothing on our iPad or my iPhone that would have me worrying ...


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The evidence is the fact they ask for it. And my response always to the "what are you worried about" why don't you publicly post your contacts and all their numbers? Why not post your home address I mean anyone can see where you live around you right, while we're at it the ssn next? Where do you want to draw the line at privacy? Personally I draw it at need to know, and there's no reason Tapatalk needs access to my contacts, even if it is only to verify an account. I can put in an email and password like everything else to verify an account. Like I said everyone sees things differently.

    I don't use Tapatalk because I always find it garbage to use as it doesn't follow the flow of how I is the forum. That's just me personally though and I know that. Nothing to do with permissions.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

    PitOnTheProwl (08-08-2017)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1