Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,411

0 members and 1,411 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: carpet pythons?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Re: carpet pythons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Well they do have the capacity to learn from each other. I read a study where they put a bug on one side of a sliding glass door that had a little door the beardie could slide open to get to the other side to eat the bug. They taught the beardie how to do it. They then put in new beardies who had no idea how to do it and just slammed against the glass trying to get the bug. They then put the beardie who knew how to do it in the cage with the others and the others watched him do it and they learned.

There are lots of new things scientists are learning about reptiles that they didnt know. I mean birds are decended from reptiles and they have the capacity to love and form bonds. Why couldnt a reptile. Now I'm not saying my snakes love me so dont get me wrong or think i'm a crackpot but the more scientists finally focus on reptiles and study them extensively, i think them and us will be surprised how much they can tell us.

And with all that said, you still see the Youtube videos of retics trying to coil and eat smart phones and garbage bags of old substrate which then sets up back a few years hahaha.
    Correct, and there are also contradicting studies of the same things. "Love" for birds isn't the same as love for humans. Birds are actually the closest things to dinosaurs in the present day and some birds are not maters for life and the young will kill a sibling to continue their own survival. Nature is real and doesn't come with emotions. Snakes are not mean, they are either defensive or ready to eat. Eating isn't mean, it is a necessity and part of that is something humans view as cruel when it involves the suffering of another animal.

I do think scent recognition and possible keeper recognition is certainly possible and proven to some extent with reptiles, but "like" and "love" are not in the cards for them. Even continued scientific studies show they have a limited and primitive brain and it is all they need. You could give me all of your snakes to keep and outside of the stress of being re-homed and put into different habitats, they would continue to thrive and not miss you in the slightest if I cared for them properly.

It is very easy to place human emotions on animals, but it really doesn't work for them as they don't care. They see things on a different level. Some real eyesight coupled with the infrared heat is used but its not the same as what we see. Humans can't really relate to that. Your facial features mean nothing to your snake. You are not seen that way.

The reason the reptiles of today are still around after millions, MILLIONS, of years has nothing to do with humans. If I lived in the right environment and released my snakes to the wild and I died the next day they'd never miss a beat outside of what nature throws at them.

Anyhow I'm not trying to drudge up an argument, but in all reality my snake, your snake, and anybody else's would not care in the slightest if it was given a new quality home.
    Last edited by Gio; 08-06-2017 at 09:04 PM.

Thanks

The two best first time carpets would be in order of best to last a murray darling or Bredli. They are the least defensive of all the species of carpets. If you want one I know two breeders that have hatchlings. They both get between 5-7 feet on average if fed normally. In my opinion carpets make thebest pet snakes they are super intelligent and curious and once they trust you love to chill and explore. If you need anything just let me know I will be happy to help!
    " Show me someone who hasn't made a mistake and I'll show you a liar ".

Thanks
    I have one carpet, a male IJ/Jungle Jag. From my experience with him, I'd say that carpets can b e quite defensive (nippy) as babies, but with regular handling, they will learn that you are not a threat and grow out of it. They are active though, at least my guy is very active. He moves constantly when I get him out and is still a little head shy and flighty. Some of his head-shyness may be due to the jag influence (Jags can have neuro problems like spider BPs). his is not bad, but he does tend to move awkwardly at times, especially if startled.

My boy is in a 4x2x18" pvc enclosure. He has a basking shelf and branch to climb on and uses both. I will say that as a display snake, it is hard to beat a carpet, as they will lounge and climb out in the open in daylight... My boas tend to use their hides in the daytime and aren't out as much.

If you are planning on getting a carpet, I would definitly try to handle some in person first...see how fast they tend to move and how active they are. If you are ok with that, then go for it.

IMO a jungle is a great starter.. I was actually looking for a pure jungle when I found my jungle/jag at a show. I would avoid the jag trait if you can because of the possible neuro issues.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post

It's better than TV at times. And feeding time is enhanced and so much fun. I plan on doing a similar enclosure for my 6 foot male Jungle as well.
    With most of the garbage on TV these days, even watching BPs hidden in their hides for hours can be better than watching TV, hahahahaha!!!

I'd rather spend the time watching/observing my animals any day

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Reinz (08-11-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12